Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main topics to cover for chemistry mocks? (no spoilers please)

• 22-01-2012 12:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I was just checking over my study plan and as I know its not realistic to be able to study the whole course in the 2 weeks before my mocks i was wondering what say the top 10 or so topics to cover in my study leading up to my mocks :) so does ny one have any hints or ideas?

Thankyou :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Sorry dont have any tips but just saying this is what i was gonna pst too :P So thanks :D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Anro wrote: »
    I was just checking over my study plan and as I know its not realistic to be able to study the whole course in the 2 weeks before my mocks i was wondering what say the top 10 or so topics to cover in my study leading up to my mocks :) so does ny one have any hints or ideas?

Thankyou :)

Definitely focus on the organic section of the course, 2 full questions and a possibility of it appearing in other questions. Thats fuels, hyrdocarbons and thermochemistry. Learn the organic experiments aswel, 1 will almost definitely come up (preperation of ethene, ethyne, ethanoic acid, ethanal, also soap, steam distillation and chromatography)

Might be difficult to do in 2 weeks but I'd recommend learning all the titrations, acid/base and redox, as they will come up in section A along with an organic experiment.

The theory/history in the first few chapters will cover you for question 5 (zone in on trends in ionisation energy, electronegativity values etc). General knowledge of the course will do for question 4 (short questions).

That's 6 questions, it's difficult to judge the other 2. If you don't like the stochiometry side of the course, learn water, pH and equilibrium, all relatively easy, equilibrium in particular.

I realise that's pretty much the whole course excluding rates, electro, the option question and stochiometry, but I presume you already have a basic understanding of these topics.

Hope I helped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Layout of paper

Answer two questions from Section A and six from Section B

OR

Answer all three questions from Section A and five from Section B

Section A:

Three experiments to do two (you may do all three if you choose)

Q1: Is always a titration ( Acid/Base, redox, Water)
    Q2: Is always an organic experiment
    Q3: Any experiment which isn't a titration or organic

Section B:

Q4: Short answer questions from all over the course
    Q5: Periodic Table, Atomic Theory etc. (Ch 2 - 7 if you have Chemistry Live)
    Q6,7,8 : Tend to be one question on Fuels and Thermochemistry and two Organic
    Q9, 10, 11: Everything else including Acids and Bases, rates of reaction, chemical equilibrium, water, stoichiometry/ mole maths type questions.

There is a choice in Q11 of three parts to do two, one of which is always the option which is in the workbook. Question 10 is often laid out with a three to do two option also.

The mock should follow a similar pattern.
    Ideally if you know your Fuels and Organic Chemistry you should be able to answer Q2 from Section A and three questions from Section B. You are then half way there.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ClareBrenno

Can i please have hints for chemistry?

Advertisement