Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth draft parking by-laws

Options
  • 22-01-2012 12:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭

http://kildare.ie/CountyCouncil/RoadsandTransportation/Parking/

Pay Parking Bye- Laws Draft available for view.

Representations on them should be made in writing to the Senior Executive Officer, Transportation Department, Kildare County Council, Devoy Park, Naas, before 17 February.

There are quite broad changes proposed in parking for Maynooth so anyone in the area would be well advised to look at them and make their feeling known.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

So no long term parking in the town except for the already always full council carpark by Glen Royal.
    Handy I suppose if you want to be able to park during the day, but something needs to be done for commuters - the Irish Rail car park is dreadful - past the station it's too narrow, and the surface is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,812 ✭✭✭✭L1011

So no long term parking in the town except for the already always full council carpark by Glen Royal.
    Handy I suppose if you want to be able to park during the day, but something needs to be done for commuters - the Irish Rail car park is dreadful - past the station it's too narrow, and the surface is awful.

I raised the issue of the very little long-term parking with a local councillor; they're relying on the proposed private carpark beside the existing council one and the "temporary" (but expect it to be there for years) one on Leinster Street which is already open.

The Irish Rail carpark had the remains of at least five car break-ins (glass on ground) last time I walked through the far reaches of it. Disgraceful lack of security for a pay carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

The one on Leinster St is practically empty any time I pass - it's too expensive for all day parking, always more cars parked outside. But that'll be stopped under this plan.

And nothing in the plan about the dreadful parking outside the RC church.

The double red lines on the map are, I suspect, going to be double yellows.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There are 101 problems with parking in Maynooth at the moment.
    I love the way parking is free and there is loads of it.

I hate the way people park long term on foot paths (not half on them in the middle of them) in yellow boxes and in the left hand lane at the junction with the entrance to the Carton walk and the main street.
    Today was a bad day I walk from the straffan road with my buggy to Pebble hill, on the main street I had to go on to the main road twice because cars were blocking the right of way over the few small roads that bisect the path. Coming up from Pebble hill I got stuck on the road with no way back on to the path due to abandoned cars.
    This is a daily situation and drives me nuts cause it isn't safe for the kids at all.
    </rant>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

If you want to stop commuters parking all day in the centre of the town, you make it one hour parking up to 11am. It goes back to free parking from 11am. This way, the vast majority of commuters will be unable to park all day.

We don't need restricted parking in the town all day or during business hours.

Moonbeam, I can't figure out where you're talking about. The path up along Charter House to Pebble Hill or the other side of the road? I'm pretty sure it's all residents parked along there. I know a few of them.

What you will get with restricted parking is people parking in estates.

I don't think the situation in Maynooth is bad at all. I always get parking.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There is plenty of parking in Maynooth thus no excuse to park in a yellow box all day.
    I have no idea what it is called but if you come out of the opticians/cafe twist and walk straight with your back to the main road. There is parking and the entrance to a green area with a walk way through it . There is a 1916 commemorative tree there too.

"Pound Park" albeit the actual former pound is also a park and is up at Mill Street!

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

it seems some people do have problems or even suggestions for this pay parking.. i for one will welcome enforced parking in maynooth... it is unreal how badly some people park - especially outside b2, down doctor's lane, at the bus stops and on the footpath at the traffic lights around from BOI..

but if you have problems with it tell KCC... it's a much better idea than just complaining about how it's run once the council start enforcing.. and for those who think you won't be heard, remember that Celbridge/Leixlip enforcement hours were changed because of complaints..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

With pay parking and more restrictions, how will the new rules be enforced? Will there be a warden?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Will there be a warden?

Ye, I'd imagine it'll be the same setup as Celbridge and Leixlip.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 kildarechoral

Buffman wrote: »
    Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Will there be a warden?

Ye, I'd imagine it'll be the same setup as Celbridge and Leixlip.

I really hope not. People are scared to park there.

I don't really want paid parking I just want people that parkin yellow box junctions all day every day to get a slap on the wrist and stop doing it.
    I love the way Maynooth has no pay parking and if I need to I can park on the main street with out trying to find change and a machine to get a parking ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭cython

it seems some people do have problems or even suggestions for this pay parking.. i for one will welcome enforced parking in maynooth... it is unreal how badly some people park - especially outside b2, down doctor's lane, at the bus stops and on the footpath at the traffic lights around from BOI..
    Eh, you do realise that what you describe is already illegal parking, and doesn't require the introduction of pay and display to "enforce" that? Hell, the Gardai can act in response to that if they observe the parking to be causing a problem, but somehow seeing as they are among the first to break the one way streets, I don't see that ever happening.
    Moonbeam wrote: »
    I don't really want paid parking I just want people that parkin yellow box junctions all day every day to get a slap on the wrist and stop doing it.
    I love the way Maynooth has no pay parking and if I need to I can park on the main street with out trying to find change and a machine to get a parking ticket.

I completely agree with this, and frankly I feel that suggesting that paid parking needs to be introduced to ensure enforcement of existing parking legalities is akin to using a flamethrower instead of a can of bug spray for a particularly annoying fly,

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

cython wrote: »
    Eh, you do realise that what you describe is already illegal parking, and doesn't require the introduction of pay and display to "enforce" that? Hell, the Gardai can act in response to that if they observe the parking to be causing a problem, but somehow seeing as they are among the first to break the one way streets, I don't see that ever happening.

My mistake. I just meant enforcing the illegal parking... The Garda do nothing. And now that the college has enforcement the parking in the town is mental..

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭louthguy25

I hope the pay parking is brought into maynooth as i am fed up trying to get to and from work which on a weekend takes 10 mins and during the week with students and commuters can take 45 mins, especially there beside Parsons Street up beside the college total nightmare

Advertisement