Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breach of privacy? data protection?

Options
  • 22-01-2012 2:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭

I was at the printer on fri and I found an email printed, it was from the ceo to the hr manager telling him to send the CVs of my team to an external consultancy the banks have sent in.

Are my employers allowed to do this without my consent?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

In my opinion, No, this is not a breach of the Data Protection Act.

Often CVs are used to prove the qualifications and experience of employees assigned to particular tasks & responsibilities, although some companies actually request your scripts to be held on file as well for such purposes. In some cases there are legal requirements on the company to retain and present such proof.

"The Data Protection Act lists eight data protection principles relating to the
    processing of personal data held on manual or computerised filing systems.
    Thus, personal data held on an employee's personal file or on any associated
    or computerised records must be processed fairly and lawfully, either with the employee's consent, or for contractual or legal reasons, or in the employer's
    legitimate interests; or to protect the employee's vital interests; and, in
    the case of 'sensitive personal data', not without the employee's explicit
    consent - unless that data is held in compliance with any statutory duty,
    or to protect the employee's vital interests, or for the purposes of legal
    proceedings,
    or for medical purposes or (in the case of data concerning
    an employee's racial or ethnic origins) for the purposes of identifying,
    monitoring, promoting or maintaining the employer's equal
    opportunities policy"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

yes but in this case his company may have been awarded a contract and as part of the he may be required to provide proof of relevant experience and qualifications.

Advertisement