Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Labrador making snorting/grunting noises?

• 22-01-2012 3:05am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭

Hi

First post in this section, if it's in the wrong place please move or delete if needed.

I have a black labrador bitch and she is about 7 years old at this stage. She used to be overweight but through diet and exercise she is now an average size. When she was younger and fatter she used to make these grunting noises like a pig or something...sometimes when sleeping she would be grunting and snoring her head off.

I always thought it had something to do with her weight but since she's not overweight any more I don't know what's causing it or if I should be concerned?

I'm worried it may be a growth up her nose or in her throat?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭SingItOut

My black lab isn't exactly skinny but not obese, he makes grunting noises when he's sniffing things on the ground. I don't think he snores though. We mentioned it to the vet when he went for his booster and she wasn't worried about it. Doubt theres anything wrong with yours :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

SingItOut wrote: »
    My black lab isn't exactly skinny but not obese, he makes grunting noises when he's sniffing things on the ground. I don't think he snores though. We mentioned it to the vet when he went for his booster and she wasn't worried about it. Doubt theres anything wrong with yours :)

Thank's for the reply. Kinda glad to hear your lab does something similar, maybe it's just something labradors do as I haven't heard any other dog doing something similar. Must carry her to the vet shortly for a check up so I might as well ask the vet as I'm there.

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

I have a lab staffy x and he makes grunting noises, mainly when he's been sniffing something for ages on a walk and I tug him away, I always think he's grumbling at me for not letting him sniff longer - never occurred to me to worry about it!! He also snores for Ireland but he's the perfect weight and in great shape so it's not an overweight thing. I thought it was just an Archie-ism!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

Tranceypoo wrote: »
    I have a lab staffy x and he makes grunting noises, mainly when he's been sniffing something for ages on a walk and I tug him away, I always think he's grumbling at me for not letting him sniff longer - never occurred to me to worry about it!! He also snores for Ireland but he's the perfect weight and in great shape so it's not an overweight thing. I thought it was just an Archie-ism!!!

archie/monty? are you AR or L?

its quite normal for any dog with staffie in it. they are basically pig dogs! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

archie/monty? are you AR or L?

its quite normal for any dog with staffie in it. they are basically pig dogs! :D

frog pig dogs in my opinion!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭evilmonkee

Obviously if you are worried, it would be best to take a trip to your vet to find out, better safe than sorry!

However, my staffie x has snored so loudly that she has woken people up who are sleeping down the hall. The floor has vibrated and I've had to turn the tv up. She doesn't need to be asleep - she could be looking at me!

She also enjoys snorting and grumbling about anything which may have annoyed her, snort, snore, grumble, wheeze, she sounds like a person with the flu half the time!

I must state that she has been checked out by a vet, and she is fine. Personally, I would definitely get the vet to take a look. Once you know its nothing , you can start to enjoy and laugh about it (especially when you are upset and all you can here is WAAAARRRRGH :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

My pup is an 8 mth terrier x and she is growing up to be quite a stocky dog. But grunting like a pig is totally her thing it's gas! She loves to stand up on her two back paws with her two front paws resting on my legs for me to pet her and as soon as I start she sounds like babe the little piglet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

My black Lab is exactly the same lol. She snores like a trooper - if she is downstairs you can hear her upstairs! She also does this snorting thing on and off usually when she is asleep - she has always done it and shes also 7 yrs old.

You may as well mention it to the vet though just for your own peace of mind but Im sure she is fine!

Sorry - forgot to mention vet says she has no problems (aside from a little arthritis - but thats another story)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Long Road 8378

Our Lab X is the same too. A real little piglet. The snorts and grunts out of him are unreal and his snoring can be desperate. Manys a time I've had to raise the volume on the telly while he gets his 40 winks! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

my collie sometimes does "reverse sneezes" which sound like grunts/choking sounds. It's distressing to hear the first time but once the vet explained it to me and that it's nothing to worry about generally I don't fret any more about him. Sometimes he does it in his sleep and wakes himself up.

He also snores like a tractor, complete with whines and grunts and running paws and disappears up to bed every evening between 8 and 9. I'm in big trouble if I stay out past 10, with his sighing and complaining that I'm costing him sleep you'd swear he was my dad....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Sorry I didn't reply in the last couple of days, had internet trouble :mad:

Very reassuring to see some of you with dogs that snore and grunt too. Maybe its a common thing with Lab's in general but this is my first labrador and I wasn't sure. I'll be carrying her for a check up in the coming weeks and I'll run it by the vet just to be sure.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply :)

Advertisement