Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bij

I rang and they said stage three is an application form filling out your details, qualifications etc. Anyone that passed economics will get a stage three application form. Don't know with other areas if everyone who passed gets to stage three yet. Stage four is interview but it could be a group type/presentation type. It seems to me that the proceedure as outlined in the initial booklet seems to be the one they are following so there are probably two more stages to go before you get to the final interview.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

anbodhran wrote: »
    Yes and no in relation to HR. At this stage a Masters has become pretty essential because so many people have them. It ticks off an extra box for the employer. Having done one then you'll more than likely be a member of the CIPD, which is a chartered institute - again which validates your level of ability.

Doing a Masters would give you a heads up on some of the legal essentials, which I'm no doubt you'd be well able for - its just a matter of learning it. It'll also cover some day to day stuff, and then the more strategic aspects of HR and the associated academic waffle.

I only applied for HR campaign. I have two Masters degrees, one in HR management and the other in HR strategy. I am a full professional member of CIPD. I am also qualified to administer psychometric and personality tests. My undergrad degree is in psychology. I have 3 years experience with a multinational pharmacy company. That said, I ranked 213.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Yeah, a friend of mine is a qualified barrister, published law journalist and a law tutor and he came in the 200s. He'd be a much better law AO than I would but I have a better chance of being interviewed.

"Yeah, a friend of mine is a qualified barrister, published law journalist and a law tutor and he came in the 200s. He'd be a much better law AO than I would "but I have a better chance of being interviewed"

not necessarily AFAIK once you get to stage three and the application forms they will look at creditionals, experience and how suited you would be to the particular roles on offer, if your friend would be more suited to the role than you then they would get to the next stage before you, regardless of the fact that you were ahead of him in the initial tests. This is my understanding but I am open to correction. I don't think anyone is guaranteed to go further based on their position in the test it is all based on how you do at stage three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

1. Law - placed 121 on the order of merit - Successful
    2. Human Resources - placed 50 on the order of merit - Successful
    3. Banking and Finance - placed 77 on the order of merit - Successful
    4. Economics - placed 63 on the order of merit - Successful

I'm 21, have a second class degree in law and economics and I am currently studying in King's inns. Good track record of employment and research experience.

What are my chances? and what am I facing? Quite shocked that it could take a year before the first day at work.

Congrats to everyone that was successful.

Oh I got placed 50 on the order of merit on HR too! Didn't think you could have the same position as someone else - our answers on the aptitude tests must have been identical! :confused:

bij wrote: »
    not necessarily AFAIK once you get to stage three and the application forms they will look at creditionals, experience and how suited you would be to the particular roles on offer, if your friend would be more suited to the role than you then they would get to the next stage before you, regardless of the fact that you were ahead of him in the initial tests. This is my understanding but I am open to correction. I don't think anyone is guaranteed to go further based on their position in the test it is all based on how you do at stage three.

Fair enough, I assumed it was done the same way as the EU's Civil Service: they examine you and only take the top 10% who meet the minimum qualification requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Just got the Economics Application Form (Stage 3) - a little daunting (personal reasons) and it has to be returned by April 2nd.

What is it like, does it look for a lot of information, do you need to send copies of results etc, references or is it just a basic application.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

I'm getting a little worried here I.just applied on a whim I have a law degree but.no.masters or anything. Don't know if ill bother going to interview if it gets that far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 KWex

bij wrote: »
    What is it like, does it look for a lot of information, do you need to send copies of results etc, references or is it just a basic application.

I just got the application form for Economics. It looks like all our initial application details were thrown out the window and we have to pretty much do it again.

The application form goes into a bit of detail about what is expected in the role.

It firstly asks for ourCareer History, ensuring we note all relevant experience of macro and microeconomics, econometrics etc as a sub heading for each position we have had in each company. Then it asks for basic education details, information on other training or courses completed and professional memberships. It finishes with a whole section to complete on additional information. Thats it!

KWex wrote: »
    I just got the application form for Economics. It looks like all our initial application details were thrown out the window and we have to pretty much do it again.

The application form goes into a bit of detail about what is expected in the role.

It firstly asks for ourCareer History, ensuring we note all relevant experience of macro and microeconomics, econometrics etc as a sub heading for each position we have had in each company. Then it asks for basic education details, information on other training or courses completed and professional memberships. It finishes with a whole section to complete on additional information. Thats it!

I do wish my econometrics was stronger!

noodler wrote: »
    I do wish my econometrics was stronger!

Mine too! I did a modle in Final year on Econometrics and got a first class honour but then went on to do a Masters with no econometrics in it. Hardly any Economics in it really either. My work experience isn't too relevant so I'm not too sure how I will fare after the application process. I just want to get to the interview stage, at least then I know I will have done everything I could to get the position!

Mine too! I did a modle in Final year on Econometrics and got a first class honour but then went on to do a Masters with no econometrics in it. Hardly any Economics in it really either. My work experience isn't too relevant so I'm not too sure how I will fare after the application process. I just want to get to the interview stage, at least then I know I will have done everything I could to get the position!

I'm the opposite - it wasn't in the undergrad but I was introduced to it in the MA.

I'm the opposite - it wasn't in the undergrad but I was introduced to it in the MA.

Well at least you have done it in your more recent studies. I'm not sure if I could remember too much of it having not looked at econometrics since December 2009.

Well at least you have done it in your more recent studies. I'm not sure if I could remember too much of it having not looked at econometrics since December 2009.

2008!

• Advertisement

2008!

Haha, OK maybe not then! Have you had any relevant work experience using micro or macro or anything?

Haha, OK maybe not then! Have you had any relevant work experience using micro or macro or anything?

Ya, that much I can cover.

Anyway, I'll do a bit of work for it and lay it all out on the table and see what happens.

Almost as big a part of the interview (for me of course) is finding out a bit more about the job. Would be useful to know of a couple of AOs in the same field right about now.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maxol

Isn't it funny how we're all scrambling for a 30k a year job...I wouldn't consider that salary in my current position. There's some lure of the civil service...but is that a historical 'irish' thing rather than a reality?

maxol wrote: »
    Isn't it funny how we're all scrambling for a 30k a year job...I wouldn't consider that salary in my current position. There's some lure of the civil service...but is that a historical 'irish' thing rather than a reality?

It probably differs if you're a professional with a lot of experience. For me as a graduate, €30k is pretty damn awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dancer656

I'm getting a little worried here I.just applied on a whim I have a law degree but.no.masters or anything. Don't know if ill bother going to interview if it gets that far!

I was thinking the same thing but then I was thinking that it would be a waste of an opportunity. Even if you don't get past the interview stage it's good experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 accountant101

Curious to hear did any qualified accountants apply in the accounting category? Where did ye rank??
    I was ranked 186 so i think its probably fair to say won't be called in further!!

I strongly urge everybody to go to interviews even if you don't think you will get it.

Forget about the fact you never actually know your chances but:

1) Having an interview focuses your mind and you WILL do work for it including research for the role in question

2) The experience of going on front of a group of people (some of which could be experts in their field) is really useful.

Not going because you might no get it is the wrong way to go about it.

I strongly urge everybody to go to interviews even if you don't think you will get it.

Forget about the fact you never actually know your chances but:

1) Having an interview focuses your mind and you WILL do work for it including research for the role in question

2) The experience of going on front of a group of people (some of which could be experts in their field) is really useful.

Not going because you might no get it is the wrong way to go about it.
    Its not that I'm 'not going to get it' attitude, it just all seems quite tardy and unorganised by the pas. We haven't even been given a proper job description etc or what qualifications are actually needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 xciarax

Curious to hear did any qualified accountants apply in the accounting category? Where did ye rank??
    I was ranked 186 so i think its probably fair to say won't be called in further!!
    I am a qualified accountant and ranked 104 so not sure how to take that!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I was looking at it more to the fact that one promotion to Assistant Principal gets into the decent money category.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maxol

Pawwed Rig wrote: »

I was looking at it more to the fact that one promotion to Assistant Principal gets into the decent money category.

Yep that's my thinking too, that's what I meant by the lure...it should be a real opportunity for a stable progressive career!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Yep that's my thinking too, that's what I meant by the lure...it should be a real opportunity for a stable progressive career!

With no downside (ie the risk of being fired) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭buttercup20

Can I ask is the additional information competency based i.e. give an example of when you used initiative or would it be information you feel is relevant to your application?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

Can I ask is the additional information competency based i.e. give an example of when you used initiative or would it be information you feel is relevant to your application?

I'm curious too if the additional info is competency based. This is the stuff that will be asked in the interview.
    Also, did everyone who got a place get the app form to fill out ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

delricyo wrote: »
    I'm curious too if the additional info is competency based. This is the stuff that will be asked in the interview.
    Also, did everyone who got a place get the app form to fill out ??

Well thus far, it seems to be only the Economics applicants who have been asked to complete the form. I think some of these were ranked in the mid 200s. People on the other campaigns might get the form later. Given the state of the country, it's perhaps not surprising that Economics people are being dealt with first.

• Advertisement

I just says "Please identify any additional achievements which you feel may be relevant to this particular role: Do not exceed one A4 page of 11 font size approx."

I Assume this would be where you could put in your competencies etc. Sell yourself like mad really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

That one promotion is quite tricky to get :)

InReality wrote: »

But somebody must get it. I am assuming most AP's come through the ranks from the two positions below AP? Or do they tend to hire externally?
    Is there other movement available from AO if AP isn't an option?

InReality wrote: »

But somebody must get it. I am assuming most AP's come through the ranks from the two positions below AP? Or do they tend to hire externally?
    Is there other movement available from AO if AP isn't an option?

Only a very small proportion of AP's are hired externally. All others come from AO and HEO grades.
    You might be able to transfer to other units/depts after a few years. But there is no easy path to AP.
    And unfortunately, you have to go through the same type of tests at the first stage :(

xciarax wrote: »
    I am a qualified accountant and ranked 104 so not sure how to take that!!

Well done xciarax.....did you apply for dublin area or outside...i'm hoping that i applied for outside dublin that some positions should come up around the rest of the country...fingers crossed....

Only a very small proportion of AP's are hired externally. All others come from AO and HEO grades.
    You might be able to transfer to other units/depts after a few years. But there is no easy path to AP.
    And unfortunately, you have to go through the same type of tests at the first stage :(

that's fine. No problem with working hard for it or doing tests. The other poster seemed to imply that it was really difficult to get a AP position

Haha I should wait and try and get the AO job first..................

Well done xciarax.....did you apply for dublin area or outside...i'm hoping that i applied for outside dublin that some positions should come up around the rest of the country...fingers crossed....

Are there AO positons outside of Dublin?

I would have thought that they'd all be based in the DoF or PER departments in Dublin.

Are there AO positons outside of Dublin?

I would have thought that they'd all be based in the DoF or PER departments in Dublin.

When applying it asked whether you were interested in Dublin or Outside Dublin or International...So i just choose outside Dublin.....but there would be other departments outside of the Department of Finance around the country where hopefully they would require Finance Staff :cool: HOPEFULLY:confused:

When applying it asked whether you were interested in Dublin or Outside Dublin or International...So i just choose outside Dublin.....but there would be other departments outside of the Department of Finance around the country where hopefully they would require Finance Staff :cool: HOPEFULLY:confused:

I see, can't remember the details of the original application ver well.

• Advertisement

I would love a Job as Tax Inspector, so i would imagine that a good number have taken the retirement offer in February this year and that there should be a few openings around the country:confused:

I don't know what grade a Tax Inspector is though....EO / AO ??? Anyone have any idea?

I would love a Job as Tax Inspector, so i would imagine that a good number have taken the retirement offer in February this year and that there should be a few openings around the country:confused:

I don't know what grade a Tax Inspector is though....EO / AO ??? Anyone have any idea?

The grade has been abolished in Revenue as far as I know. You can be an auditor from any grade from EO upwards.

Were Revenue mentioned on the job spec ? I would have thought they would have been - being a very large Office and all that

The grade has been abolished in Revenue as far as I know. You can be an auditor from any grade from EO upwards.

Were Revenue mentioned on the job spec ? I would have thought they would have been - being a very large Office and all that

No didn't see them mentioned anywhere....put just looking at papers every week and pictures of them at their retirement parties..i was hoping that a few of their positions would be opening up around the country....i was just saying that ideally i would love Tax Inspector...dream come true....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

Just received an application form for Stage 3 - HR. Wasn't expecting that so quick.

I should also add that it is basically very similar to the first application form with just some specifics to the relevant area. We may as well not have bothered with the first one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Toasterspark

Also got the HR application form.

Was it sent to your private email or publicjobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Skittlebrau

Was it sent to your private email or publicjobs?

Private email. I just got the banking/finance one.

Not a fan of this drawn out recruitment process at all

I just got email for the hr campaign, they're only calling the top ranked 100 for the next stage so unfortunately at 102 I don't cut the mustard!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭anbodhran

I just got email for the hr campaign, they're only calling the top ranked 100 for the next stage so unfortunately at 102 I don't cut the mustard!

Ah tough break. Still though, there might be later phases for which you might be called.

anbodhran wrote: »

Ah tough break. Still though, there might be later phases for which you might be called.
    They basically said if the top 100 don't make the grade then they'll let more proceed

Does that mean that have started the process for all categories if you got application for banking/finance...

Anyone get application that applied for accounting????

Not that i need worry if they are only calling first 100:(

• Advertisement
Advertisement