Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Graduate jobs in the civil service (AO)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 maxol

So got my email in relation to the HR Campaign...FECK :-(

Further to your participation in the selection tests for the above campaign I wish to advise you that you of the following update.

The Public Appointments Service propose to call candidates placed up to and including 100, on the exam Order of Merit, from Stage 2 of the process.

At this time it is not intended to proceed past this order of merit place, however should the need arise to process additional applications and if your place, on the Order of Merit, is reached we will contact you directly.  Please note it is not possible to say if this is probable until after the first 100 have been completely processed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I got an email for Banking & Finance saying the "Top 100" would be called back.

I'm 101 :(

I'm also 101 in Tax Policy which I presume isn't good enough either :( So tough.

But i'm well in the top 100 in the others so i'm hoping it's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 accountant101

Lets say the first 100 people they are going to process are all Dublin area and are not willing to take up positions in rest of the country..then surely the rest of us will have some chance then of getting called...and the first 100 they called may not have all the relevant qualifications....i know i'm clutching at straws :(

Any ACCOUNTING category replies????

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

I just got email for the hr campaign, they're only calling the top ranked 100 for the next stage so unfortunately at 102 I don't cut the mustard!

Sorry to hear. It's unusual that they are only calling 100 thro. Esp as the app form isn't the interview prep form (from what I read above).
    You are just 2 places off - hopefully you will get the form.

For all campaigns, I'm curious to know if the app forms are being used to narrow down candidates further before interviews. Or will all people who filled the forms be lucky to get an interview ?

Gracie at 102 I reckon you'll get one eventually! I'm 107 :-((

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 littlemizz99

Hi everyone!
    Got the same email as you all but am way outside the 100's. Their whole method seems so ridiclous. Why did they bother tell us that we were succesful and give us each a number when they were only taking the first 100, would it not have been better to just send a succesful email to the top 100 and them come back to us if they still need people. Time wasting as always it seems.

Hi everyone!
    Got the same email as you all but am way outside the 100's. Their whole method seems so ridiclous. Why did they bother tell us that we were succesful and give us each a number when they were only taking the first 100, would it not have been better to just send a succesful email to the top 100 and them come back to us if they still need people. Time wasting as always it seems.

What category did you apply for littlemizz

Hi everyone!

Bang on. I reckon the only reason they did that is do they have a back up list..ie if 100 don't take it up.

Have a Law Degree and a Masters so was hoping for the Law Stream but also applied for HR and have ended up getting a much better result in it-have no qualifications for it however! You waiting on the accounting stream? did you apply for any others?

• Advertisement

Hi everyone!

What category did you apply for ???

maxol wrote: »
    Bang on. I reckon the only reason they did that is do they have a back up list..ie if 100 don't take it up.

heya!
    And yes of course it is fair enough that they need back up people as not everyone is going to be qualified or even want the job but really dont understand sending out a message saying we were succesful and getting peoples hopes up when in reality there isnt much chance of even an interview if your up in the 200's somewhere! What have you applied for?

Have a Law Degree and a Masters so was hoping for the Law Stream but also applied for HR and have ended up getting a much better result in it-have no qualifications for it however! You waiting on the accounting stream? did you apply for any others?

I applied for Accounting & Tax Category...have heard nothing yet:(

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Graciefacey

Accountant it's just hr emails that are going out today so don't stress. They are taking each campaign separately

I applied for HR. I agree it was ridiculous saying 'you've been successful' shoulda said only 100 going through initially.

Accountant it's just hr emails that are going out today so don't stress. They are taking each campaign separately

Thanks Gracie...but going on what ye have said today i'd say they will only call first 100 in accounting category section also...i'm 186:( so probably have no chance.....

Thanks Gracie...but going on what ye have said today i'd say they will only call first 100 in accounting category section also...i'm 186:( so probably have no chance.....
    It might go ahead it mightn't that's just the luck of the draw so to speak! Accountancy might have a larger number called forward nobody knows so just sit tight and wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Merp

Private email. I just got the banking/finance one.

Not a fan of this drawn out recruitment process at all

What did yours say?

I placed mid 20s on both banking/finance and tax policy. No email yet though :confused:

Merp wrote: »
    Private email. I just got the banking/finance one.

Not a fan of this drawn out recruitment process at all

What did yours say?

I placed mid 20s on both banking/finance and tax policy. No email yet though :confused:
    See above its just HR and ECONOMICS that have gone out so far

• Advertisement

See above its just HR and ECONOMICS that have gone out so far

Skittlebrau says they got a banking/finance one?

I didn't see that apologies. It goes to your publicjobs account so just keep checking. Some campaigns are more urgent than others

I didn't see that apologies. It goes to your publicjobs account so just keep checking. Some campaigns are more urgent than others

No worries, fingers crossed anyway.

Im sure at 102 you'll defo get called. Even if it takes a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bij

It is hard to know if the remaining catergories will be capped at 100 or if they will be similar to the economic catergory where at least 250 got to stage three. Just have to wait and see, it depends how many law/tax/accountancy jobs there are I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Any ACCOUNTING category replies????

I applied for accounting as well but have not heard anything back either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Got the message regarding hr positions earlier I'm 117..... Long shot but hoping 17 of the top hundred dont have the relevant qualifications. Congrats to all in the top 100

• Advertisement

Speak of the devil! Got the email about Banking/Finance at 21.30!

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭delricyo

How long have they given you to complete the form ? (If one was sent to you)

delricyo wrote: »

How long have they given you to complete the form ? (If one was sent to you)

Until 5PM Tuesday. My joy was short lived though. Not sure my work experience will be heavily linked enough with what theyre after judging by the form :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭retroactive

cee_jay wrote: »
    Oh I got placed 50 on the order of merit on HR too! Didn't think you could have the same position as someone else - our answers on the aptitude tests must have been identical! :confused:

Yep, just double checked it there. I'm quite surprised at my results.

I got three emails regarding the cub camps for Human Resources, Banking and Finance, Economics. Still waiting on Law.

Even if I were Harry Potter, I couldn't make myself out to be qualified.

I got three emails regarding the cub camps for Human Resources, Banking and Finance, Economics. Still waiting on Law.

user_online.gif I got three emails regarding the cub camps for Human Resources, Banking and Finance, Economics. Still waiting on Law.

user_online.gif Do they go into details on the forms about your experience asking exactly what you have covered under certain sub-headings? and also what you have studied under sub-headings?

• Advertisement

bij wrote: »

user_online.gif I got three emails regarding the cub camps for Human Resources, Banking and Finance, Economics. Still waiting on Law.

user_online.gif Do they go into details on the forms about your experience asking exactly what you have covered under certain sub-headings? and also what you have studied under sub-headings?

Ya, asking you to relate your experience and education back to particular points

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭nehemiah

I see a few qualified accountants and people with a lot of experience have applied for some of the roles.

As I only applied for the law sub-category, I'm just wondering did many qualified barristers/solicitors apply?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 351 ✭✭CavanGal

I got the banking and finance email with the form. I think I'm better qualified under the law and tax categories but I would prefer to get into banking. I don't know if they will take preferences into account though.

To whoever wondered if the forms are going to be used to cut down the numbers interviewed, I'd like to know that too. I would prefer to know that I wasn't qualified for banking now than to waste my time going to the interview only to be told I don't have the right qualifications afterwards. Saying that, if everyone under 100 is going to be interviewed in each category then people could end up going to numerous interviews if they got under 100 in a few categories. That would be such a waste of time especially for those located outside Dublin. So they would hardly do that or would they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 okg82

nehemiah wrote: »
    I see a few qualified accountants and people with a lot of experience have applied for some of the roles.

As I only applied for the law sub-category, I'm just wondering did many qualified barristers/solicitors apply?

Im a qualified solicitor and only applied for the law catagory 2! Ranked 111 though so based on previous posts I'm guessing its unlikely that ill go any further!!

Id love to know how many people applied in each sub-catagory!!!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 Kaz1983

Just wondering does the banking/finance email say first 100 will be called too? I got 76 and no email. Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Kaz1983 wrote: »
    Just wondering does the banking/finance email say first 100 will be called too? I got 76 and no email. Thanks

Yes

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 8 Kaz1983

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Kaz1983 wrote: »

Yes

Thanks will have to give them a ring so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

Does anyone know exactly how many positions are available for each area?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭RAH1

i was placed 234 in accounting. I'm a qualified chartered accountant.Not good.does this mean i haven't a country hope of getting to stage three i wonder?

RAH1 wrote: »
    i was placed 234 in accounting. I'm a qualified chartered accountant.Not good.does this mean i haven't a country hope of getting to stage three i wonder?

Unfortunately it's not looking good for you right now :-(. I hope I'm proved wrong but judging by the emails going out from PAS then outside of 100 knocks you out :-(. Good luck though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Who_8_Paul?

Just filling out the economics application form, I thought I was in a good position since I'm not just straight out of college and have a few years work experience but by the looks of the form, they're looking for people with extensive economics based experience, ie already working as economists!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 KWex

Just filling out the economics application form, I thought I was in a good position since I'm not just straight out of college and have a few years work experience but by the looks of the form, they're looking for people with extensive economics based experience, ie already working as economists!?!

Totally, it has really bummed me out. I would say the chances of me getting through this stage is slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Don't get disheartened. Even in the worst case, this gets you experience in applying for this type of job and demystifies the process of getting into the public/civil service a bit more than it was for you before.

Im the same filling out the banking/finance application form. All we can do is fill it out as best we can and let them make the decision. No doubt there is people with a lot more relevant experience than me but I'll sell myself as best as I can and hope that they see the benefits of the experience that I do have!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

RAH1 wrote: »

Noone knows how many jobs are on offer. Also the accounting invitations to level 3 have not been sent out yet. Just because the others were the top 100 does not mean the accounting one will be. Even if it is there is nothing to say that they won't look for another 100 in a few weeks. Also bear in mind that there will be many like me who have their names in for multiple panels. In my case I am in for Tax, banking and accounting. I would be inclined towards the tax if there are options so that will free places ahead of you. Along with this I have read of some who do not meet the minimum qualifications which will also free up space. Many will not take the job if offered as the wages are much lower than what you would expect as a qualified accountant.

Apparently the panel remains active for 2 years so don't give up heart yet. They wouldn't have ranked people if there was zero chance of being called.

Mostly what is said on this thread is best guesses given the information at hand. Noone can tell for sure how many people will be interviewed/hired. I don't even think the civil service know themselves.

I agree with Pawrig - if you were in the economics catergory then you would have gotten a stage three application form but for HR and Banking you have to be in top 100. who knows until they send out the emails...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Napper McCann

Yeah someone who came 100 in Resources might be behind someone who came 300 in tax or vice versa so it is impossible to know how the process will evolve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44 Dancer656

There's no doubt I'll be a little disappointed if I don't get a job but the way I'm looking at it is that it's a great learning experience. There is no point in getting worried about whether or not you'll receive a form for the next stage, no one knows how this process will turn out in the end. One thing that I do know is that I'll be happy for anyone who is offered a position after going through all the different stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 KWex

Dancer656 wrote: »
    There's no doubt I'll be a little disappointed if I don't get a job but the way I'm looking at it is that it's a great learning experience. There is no point in getting worried about whether or not you'll receive a form for the next stage, no one knows how this process will turn out in the end. One thing that I do know is that I'll be happy for anyone who is offered a position after going through all the different stages.

I agree with you there. Fair play to the people that do get hired. It is one gruelling process and we haven't even gotten to the interview stages.

• Advertisement

Has there been any news on the Accounting or Tax Categories Yet??

Advertisement