Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Songs you sing to your kids

Options
  • 22-01-2012 4:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Do any of you find yourselves singing the strangest songs to your children, just finished a feed and found myself singing the opening lines to the theme tune for Only when i laugh, havnt watched the show in about 20 years, when i was only a little lad but for whatever reason it came back into my head and it calmed my daughter down straight away.

With my son, i used to sing him a song from scouts, again no idea where it popped up but i started singing it to him about 3 hours after he was born and it stuck.

When i was a little one my mother used to sing old provo songs to me, just the times she grew up in but i find it funny that its not always the traditional ones that work

Anyway thats my middle of the night ramblings

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

my kids loved 'wish you were here' by pink floyd (sung by me, complete with der ner ner ner neeeer 'guitar' solos) when they were babies

my husband and I pull out a mean 'bohemian rhapsody' duet for long car journeys :D

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

Izzy loves 'Use Somebody'. Singing it, or listening to a recording will almost always calm her when she's upset.

Hannah went to sleep to Blink 182 for almost a year when she was very little. We have 2 rock chicks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭soddy1979

I sing Manchester United songs but tone them down. He loves them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I find myself singing a song that goes like this:
    "swing swong the day is gone, the cuckoo and the sparrow,
    the little dog that lost his tail, will be home tomorrow"
    I think my mam used to sing it to us, but I have no idea what it is or where it come from, and unfortunately I can't ask her as she passed away. If anyone knows anything about it, please let me know!

Another standard in this house is that well-known children's classic, the the theme tune to Doctor Who, complete with 'the drums' beaten out in time on baby's back to bring up wind. And just the other day my 2yr old regaled the customers of Tesco with his rendition of 'On the One Road' (the Chieftans). Word perfect. Which is kind of shocking as he can only have got it from me and I'm about as far removed from a rebel singer as you can imagine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

To entertain the baby i sing yellow submarine, loves this since he was born and when putting him to sleep I sing Eric Clapton, Wonderful tonight. I know the first verse and the rest of the verses are different everytime I sing it. He doesn't seem to mind and works a treat!

Ol'McDonald is another favourite with every animal under the sun!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

When my daughter was about 3 weeks old my other half woke up one night to me singing Happy Birthday to the baby to calm her down. The look on his face was hilarious, but the baby was quite.

So when she loses the plot or is really tired in the car I sing Happy birthday to her.

But other half found that she loves Nick Cave, he used to sit her on her little chair and put on 'As I sat silently by her side' Its the piano, she instantly goes into a trance....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aj3AHwaShro

I found she loves this too, I put it on my phone, it came in handy when we brought her for her injections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Npu_ly3ZM

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

in the car my 2 LOVE james brown and my friend's recent album

If I am singing to them I sing some strange lyrics like rock a bye baby ends will 'daddy will catch you, cradle and all' and twinkle little star ends with 'x,x, and x are my little stars'

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Psychobabble

My little one loves many songs, the favourite is,'Twinkle, Twinkle, little star", which is paraphrased as 'up above', very cute from a 15 month old! Best yet though is random songs which pop up in my memory, such as, 'Here comes the Hot Stepper', by Ini Kamoze!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Tombo2000

Your World by Declan O'Rourke was a popular one in our house, real upbeat pop song.

Also, S.E.C.R.E.T by the Delorentos.....similar sort of vibe.

Song from Hope St by David Kitt was another one they liked.

all this is apart from all the obvious ones of course.

• Advertisement

Ol'McDonald is another favourite with every animal under the sun!! :)

we do the Old McDonald verses on request......to be fair to the kids, they stick to farm animals, never asked us to do "Old McDonald had an Iguana" or anything like that....

....but the one that always got me was "Old McDonald had a Goat".....what sound does a goat make???

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pancuronium

Tombo2000 wrote: »
    we do the Old McDonald verses on request......to be fair to the kids, they stick to farm animals, never asked us to do "Old McDonald had an Iguana" or anything like that....

....but the one that always got me was "Old McDonald had a Goat".....what sound does a goat make???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6T3XrnYtFk

This might help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 42 fitz265

im twenty years old my son is a year and a half and i sing two songs to him that cant be found on the net one is dixiland (not the ameican version) it goes i wish i was in dixi hurray hurray in dixiland ill take my stand to live in die in dixi away away away down south in dixi. The other is :the tea song: it goes "oh the hindus in new delhi keep the warmth in your bellies on a cold and frosty morn just to keep your toenails warm i dont care for choclate toffee you can keep your beer on coffee)
    )

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

Tombo2000 wrote: »

Well what i do is maeheheheheheh! Kind of like a sheep but not lol! Hope this is of some help! ;)

Well what i do is maeheheheheheh! Kind of like a sheep but not lol! Hope this is of some help! ;)

sounds a bit like the witch from the Wizard of Oz......too scary for my young lad, thanks anyway Jenni.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I used to sing a lot to the kids when they were under 3, once they reached that i was told to stop singing as my voice is terrible. so i got them a cd with all the songs on it instead.

I dont have a note in my head.

But when my youngest was a baby i would sing 'hush little baby dont say a word mommy's going to buy you a mockingbird' and 'the ghetto' by Elvis presley.

When i did the bounce on the knee thing i would sing 'pop goes the weasel' and 'donna horse' we do 'ring a ring a roses' in the swimming pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I found she loves this too, I put it on my phone, it came in handy when we brought her for her injections.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-Npu_ly3ZM

That is gorgeous! I used it last night for the baby - she's mid growth spurt and was in the horrors with wind last night - it calmed the pair of us right down and she was all smiles from the first line! Definitely a keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Iceylou

nicole loves singing and dancing to "im on my way home" sung by nina in imagination movers.

but boy does she LOVE anything rock, heavy heavy rock. nightmare by avenged sevenfold, linkin park older stuff only lol, metallica.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

For the record goats are mehehehehehe, sheep are baa.

My 3 year old loves everything from the Pixies, to Michael Jackson, to even The WolfeTones, but he is a big fan of the Wheels on the bus, Twinkle Twinkle, Incy Wincy and Baa Baa Black Sheep :)

Advertisement