Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

TDI Exhausts

Options
  • 22-01-2012 6:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Well lads.as i'm sure some of ye may know iv'e a golf gt tdi 110 (mk4).I love it!,it looks great,it drives great and has enough power and torque to tow a house,the only problem is it sounds like a rubbish lorry..

I was thinking strongly about upgrading the exhaust system but before i go spending a fortune on the wrong thing i said i'd check it out here first.I'm sure alot of ye know the effect i'm going for,that kinda whistling sound like a dump valve,I thought for years that what i was hearing on Boras,A4s,Golfs ect was a turbo diesel dump valve but after what little i could find online i came to the unsure conclusion that it was some part of an upgraded exhaust if not the whole thing.

because there's very little on the internet about diesel tuning i haven't been able to find out for sure so if anyone knows what makes this sound could you please tell me WHAT THE HELL IT IS!!(i'm gone insane from searching the internet!),oh and if i'm confusing anyone i'm not talking about the whistle directly from the turbo,the thing i'm talking about seems to go off when you leave your foot off the accelerator just like a dump valve but sound a good bit different,oh yea i read somewere a while ago that my car being one of the older non PD engines does'nt have a waste gate if that effects anything......can anyone please help???

Thanks lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Thread moved

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭damo86

Simple enough really, all you need to do is shove one of these up your exhaust:

original.jpg

:p

your tdi will always sound like a lorry or tractor no matter what you do to it.

Do you mean this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8hngxNOss8

regards
    D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭lau1247

i think the OP is referring to one of those you see on those boy racer Glanza (typically), when it upshift or downshift, it make a whistling sound..

Something like what you see/hear in fast and furious movie..

If that's the case it might be worth looking for car tuning club???

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

It's a straight through exhaust.

And it sounds shit

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Clutchkick

Thanks lads i had a feeling thats what it was,are theese the right ones??

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=golf+tdi+decat&_sacat=0&_odkw=golf+gt+tdi+decat&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

I know it's still not gonna sound great but it's definitely gonna make an improvement,like a van but with a kick.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I have a full de-cat Milltek exhaust fitted to my 180 bhp remapped Fabia 1.9 PD and it still sounds like a tractor, a nice tractor but a tractor nonetheless. :D The reason for the de-cat wasn't for sound effects it was to try and match the TurboTechnics hybrid turbo I fitted and the Forge Motorsport front-mounted inter-cooler.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭ToyotaMad94

Don't bother putting an exhaust like that on your car!
    1. You will have a lot of hastle when it comes to the NCT as you will have to put on the standard exhaust again
    2. It sounds horrid!

... 1. You will have a lot of hastle when it comes to the NCT as you will have to put on the standard exhaust again
    No you won't - mine's been through 2 and no-one blinked an eye-lid. Diesels are measured on particulate matter (soot) and not (yet anyway) noxious output. A cat acts as a heavy, expensive, un-necessary, very poor, soot catcher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

mathepac wrote: »
    No you won't - mine's been through 2 and no-one blinked an eye-lid. Diesels are measured on particulate matter (soot) and not (yet anyway) noxious output. A cat acts as a heavy, expensive, un-necessary, very poor, soot catcher.

I thought that they could fail you on an incomplete exhaust system for not having a cat fitted?

Anyways my 2 cents is that straight throughs on diesels sound shit, the only diesel with a nice exhaust tone is the 6920 John Deere we have in our yard!

Testament1 wrote: »
    I thought that they could fail you on an incomplete exhaust system for not having a cat fitted? ...
    Give up that auld thinkin' nonsense and listen to what you're told like a good young lad. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement