Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a council house - they won't fix problems in house

Options
  • 22-01-2012 8:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭

apoliges if in wrong section,

I got council house in november 2011,went see house that night and saw few things I notifed council next day and sent in in wriiting the issuses.to cut long story short I am everyday on phone about the windows,the handles are either broke off or handles loose and could come off in hand, I said to council this is dangerous if fire breaks out I and my two children(7 yrs and 9 mths old) could be trapped in there and that didnt seem to bother them, I have fixed other problems in the house but i dont think the house was checked before i got it because they noticed ,

Am i wrong in thinking the windows should been fixed by council
    Is the house still insured if one window can be opened,the handle is broke off it completly and no way of lockin it,so if wind come the window could open

anyone help!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

Just keep at them, where are you located? Like what council maintains your home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Everything in writing OP. Sorry to say but phonecalls are useless here, you'll be fobbed off

Send letters with lists of all issues and keep a list of everything you wrote and anyone you spoke too.

You need a contact name, if you're just sending the letter to a department they'll fob you off. If you find out a managers name well they'll either sort you out or pass to the correct person. All about accountability

Councils are cutting back so maybe there are not as many housing staff around anymore.

But the council can do anything if they feel motivated, have you a local councillor you can talk to?

I do not know fire or health and safety legislation but if you can find out the relevant law and quote it in your letter this will get results. I think you should ask in legal forum about this

Everyone fears being held responsible so quoting the law can help

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

sorry to hear op. our council is the same. we moved into a brand new house several years ago, and the bloody thing was full of holes, round the doors wasn't sealed properly etc. when it is windy the house is freezing as it gets in everywhere. well we reported and someone came out and looked. and that was it. it was very much a tough shít situation. take it or leave it (i am listening and feeling the wind right now :mad:).

also i think you may find, if the handles of the windows that are falling off etc are inside the property then the council fob off the repairs to you. if you got a tenant handbook (which you should have) take a good read. it lists everything that the council take responsibility for repairing, and how urgent they classify it's repair need, and everything the tenant is now responsible for - which you will discover is nearly everything :(. so you may find they turn around now and say it is your responsibility and they will do nothing. completely unfair since the house was obviously left in that state by the previous tenant and they should have made it habitable for the new tenant. but in my experience they don't. the lady who lived next to me moved out and a new one moved in. and the new one said the state the council left her move into the place in, bent spoons wedged in the drain sink is one example ffs. seriously fight as hard as you can, but expect to be fobbed off. i would probably advise getting onto specific councillers or tds or something to get yourself sorted.

good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 MileyByrne

Woodies DIY?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

To me they are breaking the law big time as they are land lords charging rent if i were you stop paying them rent until the problems are sorted and log everything.

• Advertisement

patwicklow wrote: »
    To me they are breaking the law big time as they are land lords charging rent if i were you stop paying them rent until the problems are sorted and log everything.

if you are going to do this, save the rent you would have paid in a bank account or something each week, cos if and when you get it sorted they WILL be expecting rent for the whole time you lived there, and if they tak it on as arrears cos you don't have it you could be in trouble

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

If you are concerned about safety then get a handyman to fix the issues straight off then try to reclaim the cost?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭patwicklow

juan.kerr wrote: »
    If you are concerned about safety then get a handyman to fix the issues straight off then try to reclaim the cost?

They still would not pay a lot of council houses are over 30/40 years old
    with out dated electrics one wall socket in rooms that over load cause house fires, and yet they have laws for private land lords and houses would not be let on the rental market but yet there is people in council houses with hazards like this paying rent like how do county councils get away with this? one law for one as they say.

They still would not pay a lot of council houses are over 30/40 years old
    with out dated electrics one wall socket in rooms that over load cause house fires, and yet they have laws for private land lords and houses would not be let on the rental market but yet there is people in council houses with hazards like this paying rent like how do county councils get away with this? one law for one as they say.

agree completely it is a joke the state of some council houses. fair enough in some instances the previous tenants left the house in the state they did, but how can you go and put someone else in the house if it isn't safe. seriously

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not quite. The lease you have with a council is quite different to the one you have with a private landlord. As I understand it, a council tenant has a lot more responsibility regarding maintenance and upgrade than a tenant in a privately owned property.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭jackell

@ bfocusd -- In wicklow
    juan.kerr wrote: »

I got stuff done,just windows i havnt, i cant afford get handyman again . i lost my job last month.

I be morfied leaving a house in state i got this place in.

Thanks people for input few things there i look into

Advertisement