Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a bulb for a street light?

• 22-01-2012 9:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,922 ✭✭✭✭

Previous owners of my house have a street light mounted out back, but there's no bulb in it.

The areas quite dark and was wondering where I can buy a new bulb for it, and what sort of price are they?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

NIMAN wrote: »
    Previous owners of my house have a street light mounted out back, but there's no bulb in it.

The areas quite dark and was wondering where I can buy a new bulb for it, and what sort of price are they?
    I would imagine you would save time,money and effort by replacing the whole fitting with a 500waty halogen light costing €7.99 from woodies
    Try posting a pic of light.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

You can buy them in most major electrical wholesalers.

They're common enough in carparks, commercial premises etc so they are widely available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,922 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

meercat wrote: »
    I would imagine you would save time,money and effort by replacing the whole fitting with a 500waty halogen light costing €7.99 from woodies
    Try posting a pic of light.

I probably would, but as a non-DIYer when it comes to anything electrical, this would mean getting a person in to fit a new light.

The existing street light is already wired into the electrics of my garage, and it would only be the matter of putting a bulb into it. May as well use it as its there.

And if you want to know what it looks like, walk down your street and look up, its a standard street light, complete with the little sensor on top which I assume switches the light on when its dark?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 niall_h

re-post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭meercat

there are different types,different shapes,different wattages
    the lamp was removed and not replaced which could mean the fitting is not working
    the photocell could be faulty,the geartray could be faulty
    you could get the wrong lamp or even get the right lamp and it still not light
    still reckon replacement fitting is the cheapest and best option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Maybe your best bet would be get a local electrician to take a look at it?
    Outdoor, street lamps are all designed to be highly maintainable! That's why local authorities use them.

It should be very fixable!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

The standard is 55w sox. You can get them in a lot of wholesalers.

If your having major problems finding one pm me and ill give you the details of a few places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,922 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Thanks for naming the bulb, I googled it and got this image

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11134/normal_IMG_4717.JPG

which is exactly what mine looks like. Lot of houses seem to have them round here.

Could you PM me with details in case I can't track one down? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Thanks for naming the bulb, I googled it and got this image

http://www.lighting-gallery.net/gallery/albums/userpics/11134/normal_IMG_4717.JPG

which is exactly what mine looks like. Lot of houses seem to have them round here.

Could you PM me with details in case I can't track one down? Thanks.
    Where are you based?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭Gate Automation

any electric shop, if they don't have on stock they order for you, or you can get from ebay but i don't see any from Ireland, only Uk

http://www.ebay.ie/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=sox+lamp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Keep in mind these fittings are designed for constant on use like street lights. They wont just switch on when u need light like a halogen. They take a few minutes to strike and heat up to full light output. Switch them off and you gotta do it all again. I recommend going from a SOX fitting to a SON or Hallide. Light rendering with SOX is crap but efficacy is best. If you need switching or PIR sensor activation go Halogen.

Advertisement