Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time renting by myself

Options
  • 22-01-2012 10:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm going to rent an apartment by myself and have never rented on my own. The places I was looking at on daft all seem to be using a letting agent. I'm just looking for some advice so I avoid some unnecessary pitfalls.

1. How should I pay the deposit and month in advance?

Lads in work said they just handed over the cash but I'd be wary of handing over large sum of money then finding out I had no comeback.

2. Is there any I should look out for in the lease to make sure is present or omitted?

3. On the day I get the keys, should the letting agent inform ESB to move bills into my name or should I just be asking him for access to the meter so I can contact ESB myself with details?

Sorry if these questions seem really dumb. Like I said I'm just trying to work out what I should ask and check, e.g. finding out which refuse company is used and where to buy tags so I don't run into any problems later.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

1. How should I pay the deposit and month in advance?

Bank draft, it's only about two euro in fees. If you're in your local branch and ask you'll probably get it waived
    2. Is there any I should look out for in the lease to make sure is present or omitted?

Better people then me can answer that
    3. On the day I get the keys, should the letting agent inform ESB to move bills into my name or should I just be asking him for access to the meter so I can contact ESB myself with details?

Letting agents are as about as trustworthy as used car salesmen or politicians. Never believe them
    When you move in, take a reading and inform your supplier
    Sorry if these questions seem really dumb.

No such thing as a stupid question :cool:
    Like I said I'm just trying to work out what I should ask and check, e.g. finding out which refuse company is used and where to buy tags so I don't run into any problems la

Where in Ireland are you so we can advise?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

OP, check out the Role of A Letting Agent thread that is a few posts below your own. Lots of useful info there that applies to your situation also.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056524376

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

mikemac1 wrote: »

Where in Ireland are you so we can advise?

Thanks for help.

I'm looking at North Co Dublin. The likes of Donabate and Balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

First thing I do is take photos of everything (especially anywhere that has obvious wear and tear) before having the agent signs off on everything.

Seems like half the ads I looked at we're taken this morning or the letting agent is surprised I can't view today.

I don't have previous landlord reference. One said it would be no issue if I had employer reference. Is this generally an issue?

• Advertisement

So I'll be going to look at stuff in next day. If I like it I should say to letting agent that I'll take it but need to get a bank draft from nearby bank?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Usually if you say you like somewhere and want to take it they will hold it for a day or two for you-you don't have to hand over cash then and there in my experience. If it's a letting agent, you would usually agree to meet in the office in the next couple of days to pay the deposit (I've always paid cash but asked for an official receipt rather than bank draft, but its personal preference) and go through the lease. I always ask all neccesary questions when viewing (refuse companies, whats included/excluded from rent etc). As for the ESB I personally find it handier to let the letting agent transfer everything into my name (takes out the hassle) but you should always have access to your meteor to verify the readings.

My main advice would be to read your lease throughly before handing over any money-they're usually bog standard, but if theres anything you disagree with say it to the letting agent and they can either omit/amend it to suit your agreement, or you can look elsewhere-just dont sign off on anything you arent comfortable with.
    Also take pictures of everything. When viewing, ask about heating (storage/electric etc-this will make a massive difference to your bills so is important imo) and check all the taps are working, windows are properly sealed etc. I always ask for a few minutes to walk around the place on my own without the letting agent breathing down my neck so I can take my time and check everything properly without seeming neurotic :p Also, makre sure there is no dampness, its been my main issue with houses in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭dclewis

If your looking on balbriggan me and my sister have used landmark and had nothing but problems with them. They were very slow in returning the deposits and were very rude in general

Azureus wrote: »
    Usually if you say you like somewhere and want to take it they will hold it for a day or two for you-you don't have to hand over cash then and there in my experience. If it's a letting agent, you would usually agree to meet in the office in the next couple of days to pay the deposit (I've always paid cash but asked for an official receipt rather than bank draft, but its personal preference) and go through the lease. I always ask all neccesary questions when viewing (refuse companies, whats included/excluded from rent etc). As for the ESB I personally find it handier to let the letting agent transfer everything into my name (takes out the hassle) but you should always have access to your meteor to verify the readings.

My main advice would be to read your lease throughly before handing over any money-they're usually bog standard, but if theres anything you disagree with say it to the letting agent and they can either omit/amend it to suit your agreement, or you can look elsewhere-just dont sign off on anything you arent comfortable with.
    Also take pictures of everything. When viewing, ask about heating (storage/electric etc-this will make a massive difference to your bills so is important imo) and check all the taps are working, windows are properly sealed etc. I always ask for a few minutes to walk around the place on my own without the letting agent breathing down my neck so I can take my time and check everything properly without seeming neurotic :p Also, makre sure there is no dampness, its been my main issue with houses in Dublin.

Thanks for the help.

They've all told me to have first month rent and deposit on me along with ID, PPS number and references on the day so I assume they want cash. I just don't want to be scammed.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

LOOK AT THE PLACE beforehand. NEVER assume anything. Oh, and if sharing a house with someone, ensure you meet them beforehand.

Finally, is there anything that you hate? Eg: smoking, allergic to any animals, etc? Mention when looking for a house, and check the house you'll be living in for these things.

• Advertisement

dclewis wrote: »
    If your looking on balbriggan me and my sister have used landmark and had nothing but problems with them. They were very slow in returning the deposits and were very rude in general

Well they never bothered turning up to the viewing even though I rang to confirm. To be honest most of the property I saw today looked thrown up and not maintained.

Thanks for the advice though

Advertisement