Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering an Australian Domain

Options
  • 22-01-2012 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I asked the question here a few months ago about a New Zealand domain and now Im back to ask about setting up a .au website! Does anyone know how hard/strict it is getting a website with an Australian domain (.au) seeing as Im from Ireland and dont live over there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

• Registered Users Posts: 19 BSIM

PCPhoto wrote: »

I've read through that site and I can't find anything about non-Australian residents applying for a domain. That's why I'm wondering can it be done from Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

First off you cannot register a .au - you'd be registering a .com.au :)

Based in Ireland your options are severely limited.

You'd need either:
    - a trademark covering Australia
    - a business in Australia

Blacknight wrote: »
    First off you cannot register a .au - you'd be registering a .com.au :)

Based in Ireland your options are severely limited.

You'd need either:
    - a trademark covering Australia
    - a business in Australia

Is it possible for a non Australia to register a business there in order to get a .com.au domain? Basically is there any real possibility I'd be able to do this?

BSIM wrote: »
    Is it possible for a non Australia to register a business there in order to get a .com.au domain? Basically is there any real possibility I'd be able to do this?

The trademark route would be more effective

If you get a business in Oz there would be tax implications - you don't have that problem with trademarks :)

• Advertisement

Blacknight wrote: »
    The trademark route would be more effective

If you get a business in Oz there would be tax implications - you don't have that problem with trademarks :)

Is there much of a process involved with getting a trademark? Also if Im avoiding the tax implications will I still be able to earn from the website?

If I was able to get the .com.au domain would I be able to register it through Blacknight?

Is there much of a process involved with getting a trademark? Also if Im avoiding the tax implications will I still be able to earn from the website?

I'm not a tax expert, but having a domain name + a website isn't the same as actually making money
    If I was able to get the .com.au domain would I be able to register it through Blacknight?
    Probably :)

Advertisement