Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bamboo and recylcing water

Options
  • 22-01-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭

So I planted some bamboo (fargesia mueirilia) as a border between my place and my neighbours, so I could walk naked in the kitchen with less chance of ruining someone else's day :).

Alas the bamboo hasn't grown as vigorously as I thought it would. It looks quite dry and to be honest I very rarely water it and someone told me it could do with very regular watering. The area its in is quite wind exposed too.

I'm just wondering if I could empty my washing up basin water to water it? Would just be organic stuff and fairy liquid?

Don't think I can (on an environmental level, if not a financial level given water charges coming down the line) justify pouring two watering cans per day in, but obviously don't want to harm the plant with the washing water.

Anyone any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Not sure about it's effect on plants but the fairy liquid will cause damage to insects so I would not do it.

When did you plant it?

For long term, get a water butt or something to hold rain water, for now give the plant some water...it won't need it every day this time off year once it is looking better

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭muckyhands

Hi

Have a look at the bamboos leaves... They will roll up if theres not enough water.

The fact that its a windy area too will mean water will be whipped away.

You really do need to water initially for them to establish and put down deep roots so they will eventually be self sufficient.

Water deeply each time and not too often, maybe once a week... rather than a splash now and then so the roots will go deep to find water, otherwise the roots stay near the surface waiting for the next 'splash' you give them.

Definitely a good idea to invest in a water butt. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

Yeah agree with paddy thou in the summertime they need to be watered a hell of a lot more. Water butt is totally a good idea and now that hozel lock have developed a pump to sit inside no need for the two or more trips back and fourth with a watering can everyday. Also if money isn't an option you can buy a length of drip water hosing, attach it to the pump from the water butt and attach a water regulatar that comes on and off in the same way your heating system works.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bartlguy wrote: »
    Yeah agree with paddy thou in the summertime they need to be watered a hell of a lot more. Water butt is totally a good idea and now that hozel lock have developed a pump to sit inside no need for the two or more trips back and fourth with a watering can everyday. Also if money isn't an option you can buy a length of drip water hosing, attach it to the pump from the water butt and attach a water regulatar that comes on and off in the same way your heating system works.

I never said anything here.:confused:

Muckyhands did though.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 bartlguy

that is so weird paddy cause when i went onto it it said that you said what ophio said...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

bartlguy wrote: »
    that is so weird paddy cause when i went onto it it said that you said what ophio said...

Nope not me.

I did thank Muckyhands,but thats all.:)

She knows her stuff.

Advertisement