Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DE Shaving Advice.

• 22-01-2012 1:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭

Hi all, have been DE shaving now for about a year. My set up is Edwin Jagger DE89 with either Feather or Gillette Yellows Loaded. I rotate between TOB's and Proraso Creams. However recently I find I cannot get a very smooth shave on my neck, regardless of what cream & blade combination I use, and have now committed the cardinal sin of using my Mach3 to finish my third pass.My technique is, first pass down my face and neck with the grain, 2nd pass upwards along my face and neck, what used to be my third pass was again repeat downwards as in first pass. I could never go across the grain from my ear to chin without tearing my jawline off myself.

I find the Gillette yellows give a much smoother and comfortable shave than the Feathers did. However varying my creams with the Gillette yellows makes no difference. I really hate having to use the Mach3 to smooth things up, so would appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Shaving.ie

Have you tried using shorter strokes in problem areas? If you are going for a long stroke from ear to chin you will definitely benefit from breaking up the stroke into shorter segments. Longer strokes tend to leave more stubble behind especially in tricky areas around the neck and chin.

The DE89 is an excellent razor and seems to be a one that suites a wide variety of people... but my one concern is that it is a little bit too mild and can struggle in the stubborn trouble areas especially if you have a tough beard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I have very similar experiences. For me I find since the DE89 is milder I can barely tolerate ATG (against the grain) in the lower neck area only after I do WTG and XTG passes first. If I was to use my Progress (even at setting #3) it results in lots of nicks and cuts.

I also use a wide range of soaps and creams, TOBS, Harris, Proraso (including sensitive), Cella and I always have the same experience.

Sometimes I just give up the battle and don't shave ATG in the lower neck area (or I do as you do, run the Mach3 over it and no problems).

I feel dirty and cheap when I have to call on a cart to finish the job of a DE razor:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Exact same problem for ages only experimenting sorted it for me.

As you said 1st pass going down , 2nd going up , but for the third like you i was finding it bad to go across but instead i started messing around and say rather than going across from ear to centre of neck ,

i could go centre of neck toward ear no prob, and then finish it off with a pass going at say 45 degrees , going at a diagonal . This works perfect for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 350 ✭✭tommyh1977

I have very similar experiences. For me I find since the DE89 is milder I can barely tolerate ATG (against the grain) in the lower neck area only after I do WTG and XTG passes first. If I was to use my Progress (even at setting #3) it results in lots of nicks and cuts.

I also use a wide range of soaps and creams, TOBS, Harris, Proraso (including sensitive), Cella and I always have the same experience.

Sometimes I just give up the battle and don't shave ATG in the lower neck area (or I do as you do, run the Mach3 over it and no problems).

I feel dirty and cheap when I have to call on a cart to finish the job of a DE razor:D

Ya it really bugs me to use a cart to finish the job, but at least my razor rash I endured for years has vanished as a result of using the DE to get 95% of the job done irritation free.

I was thinking of trying a Merkur 34C but it seems its a first cousin to the DE89:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Wow, lots of cart confessions! I thought I felt dirty using a DE to finish off problem areas :)

I have THE worst swirl just under my jawline; I have it more or less figured out but it still goes every which way, I got a good magnifying mirror and really, really studied the grain pattern and that helps a lot - turns out my neck hair on my right grows up towards the jaw line - hence I'm shaving ATG when I thought it was WTG. I'd suggest investing in a good magnifier to really nail where you are at with this patch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

MadsL wrote: »
    Wow, lots of cart confessions! I thought I felt dirty using a DE to finish off problem areas :)

I have THE worst swirl just under my jawline; I have it more or less figured out but it still goes every which way, I got a good magnifying mirror and really, really studied the grain pattern and that helps a lot - turns out my neck hair on my right grows up towards the jaw line - hence I'm shaving ATG when I thought it was WTG. I'd suggest investing in a good magnifier to really nail where you are at with this patch.

good point with the magnifier...over the past year I learned I had hair growth in varying directions on both sides of the lower neck area..

I agree with what Outkast_IRE said, diagonal strokes for me on the right side tend to give the best results without blood. I seem to be OK with ATG on the left side.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Giant Kiwi

Maybe don't shave for three or four days if your job allows and then sit in front of the mirror (vain i know) and study the direction of growth

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If doing both XTG and ATG passes, I'd always do the XTG pass first. The XTG pass gets closer than the WTG pass, making the ATG pass easier. And, the ATG pass can leave your skin a bit rough, making the XTG pass harder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭guerito

I'm still a novice at the whole DE thing, but the weird thing is that different parts of my face seem to need different ways of shaving. WTG then XTG then ATG works for the cheeks. 2 x WTG then ATG works for the neck.

Chin and jawline have been a hoor so far, because of the shape of my face and the random growth direction. Yesterday I tried WTG then (very careful) buffing, like on one of Mantic59's advanced technique videos, and that helps a lot, especially on the chin.

Sorry for late getting back to thread. I was wondering is it easier to shave daily every morning as oppose to my current 2-3 day interval?

Just ordered a tub of Bluebeards Revenge off Amazon for £8.90 for a large tub incl delivery. It's supposed to be the dogs for comfortable shave, but at that price even if it's crap so what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

tommyh1977 wrote: »
    Sorry for late getting back to thread. I was wondering is it easier to shave daily every morning as oppose to my current 2-3 day interval?

Just ordered a tub of Bluebeards Revenge off Amazon for £8.90 for a large tub incl delivery. It's supposed to be the dogs for comfortable shave, but at that price even if it's crap so what.

Not sure what you mean by easier, it'll depend on your skin and stubble. I tend to shave six days a week. If you're skipping daily shaves due to time constraints in the morning try shaving late at night. You'll get a closer shave with a DE compared to a cartridge and stubble grows slower when you're asleep.

Let us know how you get on with the Bluebeard's cream - I was impressed by it.
    I found it lathers very easily and provides good protection and left my skin feeling supple and without need for a balm after.

Success at last, tonight after acquiring a pot of Proraso Pre Shave, Pot of Bluebeards Revenge Shave Cream and pot of Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave Balm:D:D:D:D:D:

After 3 passes I got a smoother shave than before when I used my Mach3 after 3 passes. Absolutely no sign of Razor burn and no nicks. Face now smoother than any babies butt out there.

The secret to my success I think is the Proraso but the Bluebeards stuff is really nice, and I love the scent!!:cool:

Advertisement