Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Galway City

Options
  • 22-01-2012 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭

I have been banned from Galway City for saying a poster's name.

In fairness, there is a warning in the OP which states that "Calling the occupy members names (crusties, hippies, losers) or trying to belittle them will get you banned."

I was posting in response to a poster called "hippygran" and stated in a general observation of hippies in general (being she is a self-professed hippy; see her username) saying "That's always been my problem with hippies actually, they seem to completely miss irony"

I explained to biko that I was referring to that poster in general, not calling Occupy members "hippies" or trying to belittle them. I was simply pointing out that my problem with hippies has always been their inability to see irony. Hippies existed before Occupy and will continue to exist and continue to miss irony in front of them.

The way I see it:
    • There is a poster who calls herself a hippy;
    • This poster cannot see the irony in the situation;
    • I said my problem with hippies (unrelated to the occupy movement);
    • I did not call all occupiers or any occupiers "hippies" other than one, self-professed hippy grandmother.

biko "doesn't believe" that I was referring to that one poster. If I wanted to call all occupiers "hippies" I would have, I didn't.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

For completeness here is the post:
    hippygran wrote:
    Darko wrote:
    Personally I don't think that the group should accept any donations of money. Supplies, food, etc are slightly more acceptable bevenly by much. If those involved can afford to give up so much time to protest then they should not expect others to provide necessities of living for them.

when people offer money I think that it should be refused and under no circumstances should it be accepted. Bit ironic that one of the groups main issue for protesting is the bank guarantee where our government essentially gave hand outs to the banks, yet the group is quite happy to accept handouts,

The people involved have made the choice to spend their time at the camp and as such any financial burden should be shouldered by the individuals of the group. They should not be reliant on the generosity of others to pay for gas to keep the group warm.
    Your objection has been noted and when we feel that we need your permission to do anything we will be sure to contact you. If you want to raise this as a matter for discussion you are welcome to come along to a General Assembly and put the matter on the agenda. That is how decisions are made. The donations are offered, we don't solicit them. The first few times it happened took us all by surprise, to be honest, we hadn't expected it. This is the same in every camp and it is something that people do completely voluntarily, with or without your permission.
    I really want to like you. You seem like a very genuine person.

However, if you do not see the hypocrisy in a group that is protesting greed and mismanagement if funds and touting transparency; while at the same time accepting donations and refusing to share records (that have been admitted to exist) with the public (us) who are asking to see them then I have no hope for you at all.

That's always been my problem with hippies actually, they seem to completely miss irony.

Again, I didn't call occupiers hippies, I didn't attempt to belittle the occupiers... what I did was point out my problem with hippies in general to a poster who is clearly stating they are a hippy.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

PM convo

Yes, it has nothing to do with Occupy, it has to do with her and hippies in general. Can you please show me where I called the Occupy movement hippies? She is a self-professed hippy who cannot see irony... hippies did exist before Occupy after all. lol

biko wrote:
    So "That's always been my problem with hippies actually, they seem to completely miss irony" is referring to a single user named hippygran.
    I don't believe you, ban stays.
    You're missing the point... it's like banning me for saying the problem with biko is...

The poster I was speaking to is NAMED "hippygran" - hippy... she's calling herself a hippy.
    How on Earth can you rationalise a ban for saying someone's name. I clearly didn't call the occupy members names other than their OWN NAME.
    biko wrote:
    In the OP there is a mod note "Calling the occupy members names (crusties, hippies, losers) or trying to belittle them will get you banned."
    This is the rule you broke.
    Yeah, have a look at the poster's name. "hippygran". I wasn't calling anyone a name that they didn't call themselves.

biko wrote:
    Hi FreudianSlippers,

You have been banned from Galway City for the following duration:

1 Day(s)

for the following reason:

"Calling the occupy members names (crusties, hippies, losers) or trying to belittle them will get you banned."

Providing your ban is not permanent, it will be lifted automatically after 1 Day(s). You will get an automatic message informing you that the ban is lifted. If you do not receive this message after the allotted time, please PM a moderator to clarify.

Bans occur after a serious rules breach so please keep in mind that Moderators don't just decide to ban people out of the blue. If you wish to appeal this ban, please follow our Dispute Resolution Process here. Your first action should always be to PM the Moderator(s) of the forum to discuss the ban. Remember that our Mods are volunteers and are not always online, so they may not be able to answer you straight away.

All the best,
    boards.ie

Edit: PMs already posted by biko, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thank you both, though we do usually wait for the CMod to request the PMs.
    Lets now wait for a CMod to reply.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Reading the post you were banned for; if you weren't referring to the group as a whole I'm afraid you were nowhere near clear enough with your generalization.

Based on the warning in the thread and content of your post I see no reason to overturn the ban.

• Advertisement

Can you just highlight perhaps where I called occupiers hippies?

The person is named 'hippygran', I use the word 'you' multiple times. I cannot see at all how this could be taken as being directed to the occupy movement as a whole or be seen as calling anyone a hippy/hippie other than the one person who refers to herself as such. lol

The problem with your post has already been highlighted and explained to you by biko.

My point is that I didn't call the occupiers hippies. If you don't want to deal with this, then maybe pass it on to someone who will read what is there in black and white and explain/show where I called anyone a hippie/hippy other than the one person who calls herself one.

Also, biko didn't explain anything - all that was said by biko is "I don't believe you"

The statement that you were banned for reads to me that you were including the occupying group in your generalization regarding 'hippies'. I've explained this already.

The statement that you were banned for reads to me that you were including the occupying group in your generalization regarding 'hippies'. I've explained this already.
    Nope, just hippies in general. I don't think occupies are all hippies, just some of them

• Advertisement

Your post was specifically about the 'hypocrisy' of the occupiers "accepting donations and refusing to share records" so that simply doesn't wash.

The ban stands. You're welcome to invite an Admin's opinion.

Your post was specifically about the 'hypocrisy' of the occupiers "accepting donations and refusing to share records" so that simply doesn't wash.
    Did you read the post? I'm concerned you haven't now. The post was specifically about whether or not the poster 'hippygran' could see the hypocrisy of the movement "accepting donations and refusing to share records"

So, I have to put it to you that you either did not read the post clearly or you don't understand the difference.

I take issue with you saying you've explained things to me as well. Your posts have not been rife with information by any stretch of the imagination.
    The ban stands. You're welcome to invite an Admin's opinion.
    I'm disappointed at the DRP procedure in general but do bring in the admins and lets see.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

SUMMARY
    • The FreudianSlippers post had been officially reported by our members.
    • There had been a previous on-thread warning by the moderator regarding posting behavior clearly referred to in the thread title. The official report cited this on-thread warning.
    • FreudianSlippers acknowledges that the on-thread warning existed (above), but he avoided caution in his posting behaviour and made a post that initiated moderator action by biko.
    CONCLUSIONS
    • FreudianSlippers violated the spirit and intent of the mod warning, regardless if he directed his comments to one poster, or a group of posters in general on the thread.
    • The prior thread warning stated that violators would be banned, and moderator biko issued the smallest possible ban to FreudianSlippers of one day, which was in compliance with the on-thread mod warning and not overly harsh.
    • FreudianSlippers failed to follow on-thread moderator instructions, consequently the ban should not be removed.
    • This decision supports the above actions taken by Galway City moderator biko, and furthermore supports the later review and decision of Cmod Mr Magnolia.

Thanks, ban autolifted. It was certainly not my intent to call all occupiers hippies. Unfortunate that despite my explaining that, nobody agreed. A bit odd when I'm telling you what the intent of my post was I think, but whatever.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Thanks, ban autolifted.
    May this DRP be marked "Resolved," or do you wish the Administration to review it?

My concern is that I was specifically speaking to a member named "hippygran" and not talking about the occupy movement. I'd be concerned about ban history. I don't want to waste time though, so leave it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Thank you. I will mark this thread resolved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement