Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New county council building

Options
  • 22-01-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi folks just a short rant over something that has just come to my attention. I had to visit the motor tax office last week, i wasn't aware it had changed to the new premises. I can only describe as sever shock what i felt when i saw the new building. We are living in a very very tough recession, we have been told to tighten our belts (again), we are up to our eyes in debt that our kids wont even be able to pay off and wexford county council have built and are operating this monster building??? The first thing came to my mind was hypocrites. The government is intoducing a household tax to fund local councils and our crowd have built this lavish luxury building. For anyone that hasn't seen it yet let me explain why I am so bitter about this. The lobby alone seems to be as big as 2 hurling pitches, the temp in the lobby is i would guess a balmy 30 degrees, their oil must be cheaper than ours. There are employees sitting at 7 or 8 desks scattered around this massive lobby, (none of them seemed too busy). I'm not sure but i think its a 3 or 4 storey building and i'd imagine well heated offices take up the floor space on the rest of the levels. Every council worker in wexford must have an office. How in the hell in these times when ordinary decent people have to decide between food and heat cause they cant afford both, can this grotesque waste of tax payers money be tolerated and how in the hell can they seriously expect us to pay another 100 euro to local government and see it being spent in this way????? the mind boggles

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

This sort of waste is epidemic throughout the country. Sticking to County Wexford, here in Enniscorthy the Enniscorthy Town Council have offices in the Market Square (plans for an expensive new complex at the 1798 Centre) while Wexford County Council have plush District Offices out on the Old Dublin Road - probably unknown to most citizens of the town who have little reason to visit it. Last year the Town Council bought a small yard, adjoining the Old Dunnes Stores Car Park for a lot of money, and now its being used to dump spoil from work on Court Street. The Court House in Enniscorthy was recently renovated at a cost of €400,000+ and now stands empty. Duplication is the name of the game. Multiply this sort of waste countrywide and you can understand why the State is bankrupt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

But wasn't it €46 million well spent:rolleyes: The pricy artwork alone not to mention the 40 odd grand spent on some furniture in ONE room reminds me of a certain shampoo ad - "it's cos we're worth it"

I feel proud driving past it and seeing the County Hospital next door having to go cap in hand to the public to try and raise funds for a new ward.

I'm sure you've detected an amount of sarcasm in this post.

It's like everything in this country from the health service to the banks. The frontline staff get shafted while those up the ladder get the cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Last time I taxed the car and walked away with my number ticket in my hand - I walked the full length of the complex looking for a dustbin to dispose of it and there were none to be seen anywhere .

I had to ask the girl at reception to put it in the dustbin behind her desk .

It also struck me that none of the employees looked busy and they all just appeared to be chatting to each other .

Why they had to locate the most popular office ( motor tax office ) at the furthermost point is beyond me .

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Ozzie

Why they had to locate the most popular office ( motor tax office ) at the furthermost point is beyond me .

To rub the little peoples' noses in it!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

I'm sure that none of them up there have the remotest idea of how distasteful the whole thing is. In their own little bubble, they think they work as hard as the private sector and have a sense of entitlement to have such luxurious working conditions.

You're not going to win this one OP, but you're perfectly right in what you say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭chieftan65

Last time I taxed the car and walked away with my number ticket in my hand - I walked the full length of the complex looking for a dustbin to dispose of it and there were none to be seen anywhere .

I had to ask the girl at reception to put it in the dustbin behind her desk .

It also struck me that none of the employees looked busy and they all just appeared to be chatting to each other .

And with each step you took along that massive well heated hall i'm sure you were bursting with pride knowing the tax you had just paid was going towards something so worthy??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

** prepares matches and kerosene **

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

Someone told me the staff aint happy there because they have nowhere to go for their lunch.

LMAO.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Someone told me the staff aint happy there because they have nowhere to go for their lunch.

LMAO.

:eek::eek:

Have they not got a subsidised canteen?:eek::eek:

Poor staff:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

LMAO.
    They have a canteen. Not subsidised as far as I am aware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

TheChevron wrote: »
    They have a canteen. Not subsidised as far as I am aware.

Aw poor staff, in this day and age and they don't have a subsidised canteen, it's just so terrible.

LMAO.
    Stable Diet have the contract for the canteen up there. You can be certain they're not paying the same prices as the restaurant on the Main St.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭Corvo

oldyouth wrote: »
    Stable Diet have the contract for the canteen up there. You can be certain they're not paying the same prices as the restaurant on the Main St.

Stable Diet? FFS...Still would be pretty pricey all the same. Eating well anyway aint they?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Chloroplast

I don't know about that Stable Diet stuff, its just wheat really aint it ? feed em a piece of cardboard and they wouldn't know the difference.

To elaborate more, it was said to me that they could just nip into a restaurant or deli for lunch when it was in town. now with the location and the distance from town, you can either bring a few sambos with you, or hit up the "extremely ridiculously overpriced" Boggans shop.

I don't know about that Stable Diet stuff, its just wheat really aint it ? feed em a piece of cardboard and they wouldn't know the difference.

To elaborate more, it was said to me that they could just nip into a restaurant or deli for lunch when it was in town. now with the location and the distance from town, you can either bring a few sambos with you, or hit up the "extremely ridiculously overpriced" Boggans shop.
    Ah no, surely the country hasn't reached the stage where people have to eat their own sambos. I thought things were bad but never thought it would come to this :D

No doubt they all got compensation for the additional commute to work or days off in lieu. Jeez, I hate the civil service in this country.
    (note; civil service, not nurses, firemen, gardai, etc)

They have to bring their own sandwiches to work??? christ what next?? wiping their own a***s??? sure they'll soon be down to the same standard as the rest of us knuckle draggers. Civil service needs a bloody reality check. dont hear too many of our local elected representatives saying much about this grotesque waste of our money. Where's the pink clad hairy one? I thought he was the peoples champion? never in history has so much been done by so many for so few... or words to that effect

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

The pink-clad hairy one was on Oireachtas Report last night wearing a jumper that was inside-out .

Would'nt it be way better /healthier to eat in the canteen , rather than bring your own sambos.

Think about the scenic views from the roof-top terrace where the canteen is located , and the fresh air it brings .

The canteen was certainly not placed at that location with us tax-payers in mind .

The pink-clad hairy one was on Oireachtas Report last night wearing a jumper that was inside-out .

Would'nt it be way better /healthier to eat in the canteen , rather than bring your own sambos.

Think about the scenic views from the roof-top terrace where the canteen is located , and the fresh air it brings .

The canteen was certainly not placed at that location with us tax-payers in mind .

why would the tax payer be considered?? sure we only pay for these luxuries.. we dont exist in the civil service reality

chieftan65 wrote: »
    . Where's the pink clad hairy one? I thought he was the peoples champion? never in history has so much been done by so many for so few... or words to that effect
    In fairness now, the deal to build that yoke was signed off around 6 years ago. Nothing the hairy one could have done about it. Also, he was never a local councillor and never operated from there. I think you should acknowledge that.

In fairness now, the deal to build that yoke was signed off around 6 years ago. Nothing the hairy one could have done about it. Also, he was never a local councillor and never operated from there. I think you should acknowledge that.

Yes I accept your point, but surely he is in a better position now to highlight this and ongoing waste of funds? I remember hearing him say that "politics was rotten to the core". it was and still is. Money is being wasted now just the same as it was before. This county hall is only one example, look at the money being paid on advisors still by the government who capped their pay. Brendan Howlin would be as well back teaching we might get some benefit out of him that way, cause he is not doing a great job of holding on to the purse strings and implementing caps on salary. Neither is the hairy one it has to be said, none of this is being highlighted by him, why? The last piece of publicity i read about him was how he has sex to unwind, well done mick, we all wanted to know that

• Advertisement

Brendan Howlin is in Government, Mick is not. As far as I am aware,Mick is the best attendee in the Dail and a regular contributor to debateS. I'm sure it's not all about his sex life and some of it is comment on the abuse of funds in the State

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

I see nothing wrong with the building. It's been designed and built to a high standard, it will be there for the next 30 years, if people where willing to take the long term view they would realise that we need more investments like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Donelson wrote: »
    I see nothing wrong with the building. It's been designed and built to a high standard, it will be there for the next 30 years, if people where willing to take the long term view they would realise that we need more investments like this.

You mean like Thornton Hall Prison or the virtually new Dun Ui Neill Barracks in Cavan which is to close, the Western Railway Corridor, or the Luas Green Line extension - yes the country badly needs lots more wasteful State expenditure. :rolleyes:

Would they have been better if they had rented prefabs, investing in rail services of course that's a complete waste of money, what first world country ever invested in their rail service! You guys must be delighted at the state of the roads in wexford, there's been no money wasted on those in years!

Investments are expected to generate returns. That building is just a monument to the egos of public employees

Investments are expected to generate returns. That building is just a monument to the egos of public employees[/QUOT

well said oldyouth. I cant see any return in investing in a building like this and the future cost of maintaining this lavish monument doesn't bear thinking about. These funds would be far better for wexford if they were invested in infrastructure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 One Flew Over

This wasted expenditure demonstrates how far removed the government is from the appauling situations in which people are now merely existing. I urge anyone who finds this spending justifiable to travel to Wexford General Hospital where conditions are only comparable to those in the "Third World".

Wexford general hospital is a straw man in this discussion, every body knows that it is not lack of money that has our hospitals in the state they are, if you look at our expenditure you'll see we spend more as a percentage of gnp than most of out european neighbours despite a much younger demographic, I personal believe that what we have is the result of a very greedy medical profession and complicate management.

Wexford general hospital is a straw man in this discussion, every body knows that it is not lack of money that has our hospitals in the state they are, if you look at our expenditure you'll see we spend more as a percentage of gnp than most of out european neighbours despite a much younger demographic, I personal believe that what we have is the result of a very greedy medical profession and complicate management.

So your solution is to waste money building lavish office blocks for over paid inept public servants and pander to their gloated egos??? which department do you work in up there?? actually the work word may be pushing the boundries a bit

• Advertisement

No I'm not lucky enough to get a job up there, but I still don't think spending money on a quality building is a waste. bitterness and begrudge, does not a good discussion make.

Advertisement