Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starting formal obedience training

• 22-01-2012 3:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭

I've had it up to the gills with "Thunder", While inside the house she is the most obedient dog on earth, sit, stay, come, play dead, lie down, I even managed to get her to "high 5" me.

But when we take our walks, it's like I'm not even there, the leash is more of a nuisance to her, all she wants to do is run to something, sniff it for 2 minutes and take off again.

And if there is another dog, bike, baby stroller, or anything out of the norm in her sight, she simply must go have a look... Thing is, it's nothing she hasn't seen before, and the encounters are quite calm and inquisitive, rather than jumping around and pawing or licking. She has even gotten into chasing the birds feeding in the grass.

There is an obedience class in the park close to me, and today we signed up for 6 weeks (€70), which is quite reasonable. She is 4 months now, or 20 weeks, and about the right time to begin formal training.

If she does well enough, we will start ring classes directly afterwards and see if we can enter an upcoming dog show (just for fun, no intention of winning anything), just to see how she fares in the showing world.

Even if we don't get any ribbons or trophies, I still think it's a great way to keep the dogs mental agility peaked. I was told that a mentally stimulated dog is a very happy dog.

PS: I know I haven't asked a question, but I would welcome comments, ideas and experiences from other posters, so I can be a little more prepared for it all.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Vince, she's a husky, she sounds exactly like a husky, which is why they can't be let off lead. My lot are very obedient in the house, or enclosed space, they all give high five, its what I use to put their harnesses on. They will all sit and wait for their dinner. They understand the command at bedtime to go outside and go to the toilet before settling down. They will wait in their crates in the van until the lead is on their collar before trying to get out. BUT put them somewhere outside, and they want to see everything, want to sniff everything. Its the breed, embrace it and get used to it. :D Hopefully she'll have a good working temperament, as some of mine, but not all, will go past any distraction when they're in harness. Not all of them, which is why some dogs are lead dogs, and some aren't.

Best of luck with the obedience classes, its good fun for dog and owner, and a good bonding exercise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you mind me asking where you're based - just wondering if these are classes in our park?

Advertisement