Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

student grant rates as mature student, HELP HELP HELP...

Options
  • 22-01-2012 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone out there could help me? I am a mature student who has got a place in college and have applied for the student grant. I recieved a letter from my loacal authority recently to say that I have been awarded the NA1 grant? and the special rate of maintenance grant of (2980). The NA1 grant is (3120) which equals (6100).

My question is this: is 2980 euro all I have to "live" on? Or are the two combined somehow? I am thinking its only the 2980 bit that I will recieve? If so I'm knackered as I have kids. I live in Waterford and go to college in Carlow so I am classed as "non adjacent" I think?

I am sorry if this seems like a slightly mixed up question, but I am at sixes and sevens and cant seem to get a definite answer from other forums. I am giving my local authority a call in the morning.

I have asked some people in college and they seems to be getting a maintenance grant of 6100 which is what my 2 grants total, so I am guessing that I have 2980 to live on?

Arrggghhhh sorry if i've been asking an easily answerable question, but I am pulling my hair out now. If 2980 is all I am entitled to I may have to quit college as I will definetly not be able to afford it on that kind of money :mad:

On another note, its nice that our goverment officials seem to be taking the same level of cuts as we are is it? (B******s). And on top of a massive wage they get 2000 a year for dry cleaning bills. I'd take that 2000 off one of them if they wished to donate it?

Anyway guys thanks for listening, and I really hope someone out there can give me an answer.

Much love, Rev :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

I'm not sure if I'm understanding you correctly OP. From my reading of your post you have been awarded the NA1 which is the ordinary grant at the non-adjacent rate of €3120 and the special rate top up of €2980 which gives you a total of €6100 to live on not €2980.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 revelate34

Sorry paperclip,

Thanks for replying, Em according to the letter I recieved from my local authority, it seems that the 3120 is for fees and the 2980 is "maintenance". Maybe i'm reading it wrong but thats just how it looks.

So if the 3120 is for fees thats means it should go directly to college?
    And i'll recieve the rest at the start of every term?

Thanks for replying and sorry I was so vague.

Rev :confused:

It sounds like its all maintenance.

Tuition Fees are paid by the government directly to the college and the amount varies depending the course you are doing. But if this is your first time in college you don't need to worry about that as its done between the college and the DES.

The grant you have been approved for, based on the amounts you quote, sounds like:
    Ordinary Rate of Maintenance Grant: €3120
    Special Top up Rate of Maintenance: €2980

Generally you receive a third of the money every three months over the duration of the course. It isn't paid in a single lump sum

If you have received these then its more than likely that you have been approved for the Registration Charge/ Student Contribution of €2000. This is separate from tuition fees and if you have been approved for the maintenance grant this is usually paid on your behalf directly to the college.

There is a lot of good info on the grant on the citizens info website: http://http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/education/third_level_education/fees_and_supports_for_third_level_education/maintenance_grant_schemes_for_students_on_third_level_courses.html

Hi Paperclip,

Thanks so much for your help, really.
    The letter I recieved from Waterford city council was slightly vague!

I was aware I wouldnt recieve it in one lump sum alright.

Hey we'll find out when I recieve the 1st payment I guess, but you have put my mind ay ease though.

Thanks so much for your help

Rev :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

revelate34 wrote: »
    Sorry paperclip,

Thanks for replying, Em according to the letter I recieved from my local authority, it seems that the 3120 is for fees and the 2980 is "maintenance". Maybe i'm reading it wrong but thats just how it looks.

So if the 3120 is for fees thats means it should go directly to college?
    And i'll recieve the rest at the start of every term?

Thanks for replying and sorry I was so vague.

Rev :confused:

No

You get 6100 maintenance and they pay the 2000 student contribution as well

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭achmairt

U get the 6100 into your hand for sure and you don't have to worry about the redg. fee as they pay that for you as well. If u already paid the redg fee, it will be refunded to u.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Can I jump in here with a few questions?

That €6100 is to cover your living expenses while you are in college yes? So there is no BTEA? I'm just wondering is it better to go for the BTEA rather than the grant?

Can I jump in here with a few questions?

That €6100 is to cover your living expenses while you are in college yes? So there is no BTEA? I'm just wondering is it better to go for the BTEA rather than the grant?

If you are eligible for BTEA then yes it's a better option. Also you can get a fee grant as well as BTEA which covers the 2000 student contribution fee.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Thanks for all the help guys,

It has definetly put my mind at ease.

Much appreciated indeed.

Rev

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭confuseddotcom

I had thought all Grants for New College Applicants were a thing of the past since like last year or around then ..... :confused:

• Advertisement

I had thought all Grants for New College Applicants were a thing of the past since like last year or around then ..... :confused:

not the case

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Don't want to derail thread, but just a quick question.

Does anybody know when the second grant payment can be expected for mature students? (I believe it's done in 3 installments?)

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Ms Happy

There are no "set" payment dates for the HEG grant. The cheque is sent to your college from your awarding authority.

There are 3 payments though!

Mature student and under 23 is the same grant.

Ms Happy wrote: »
    There are no "set" payment dates for the HEG grant. The cheque is sent to your college from your awarding authority.

There are 3 payments though!

Mature student and under 23 is the same grant.

Correct(ish)

Every grant authority or VEC has different payment dates -

It can be paid by cheque sent to your college or paid into your account

Sometimes it is paid in 3 instalments and sometimes 9

The best thing for [Jackass] to do is contact his college fees office

In colleges like UCD you can see a list of when grant cheques are sent in

http://www.ucd.ie/registry/adminservices/fees/maintenance_cheques.htm

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Cheers for info.

I don't think mine comes into the college though, it's paid directly into my bank account, so just a question of wait and see I guess.

I've tried contacting the council several times for information with no luck...

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Cheers for info.

I don't think mine comes into the college though, it's paid directly into my bank account, so just a question of wait and see I guess.

Its just a thought Jackass but you could check the councils customer service charter, many CC's have them online. There's usually a section in it on dealing with enquiries in a prompt manner. I've used it a couple of times in our area by emailing the relevant dept and quoting the charter. They seem to get a bit nervous when they get a formal written request for information, (sometimes I attach a formal letter) as they (seemingly) have to respond to it.

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Cheers for info.

Contact your local councillors and tell them that you are receiving poor communication from the council

Terry Pratchet

Hi guys this the cover letter i recieved from the council, (for your info)...

Re: HIGHER EDUCATION GRANTS

Dear Keith,

I am pleased to inform you that, subject to the terms and conditions of the Higher Education Grants
    Scheme, you have been awarded a grant for the academic year 2011/2012 on condition that you are
    registered on a full time approved course. This award is provisional and subject to the sanction of this
    local authority. The category of Grant awarded in respect of the academic year 201 1/2012 is NA1 .
    (see attached)
    You have also been considered eligible for the Special Rate of Maintenance Grant to be paid in three instalments.
    The maintenance element of the grant will be paid to you c/o The College, in 3 instalments as early as possible in each term.
    You should present this letter to the appropriate office in your College in order that the Local Authority can be invoiced for your fees. The Lecture Fee and/or Registration Fee will be paid directly to your College upon receipt of a Fees Invoice from the College.
    In order that payment of your grant can be finalised, please complete the enclosed form and return it to this office immediately.
    You are reminded that this notification is based on the information regarding income, residence etc. as declared on your application. Should the information furnished be subsequently found to be inaccurate or incomplete in any way so as to render the application invalid, then any notification of award shall be cancelled and any payment made must be returned.

Yours faithfully,

Hi Keith, basically the letter is all good. You are getting free tuition fees, your registration fee of €2000 covered and the maximum rate of grant (if you are living more than 45 km from college you will get €5900 approx or €2370 if less than 45km.)

:)

Thanks paperclip,

Much appreciated. Thanks everyone else too

Rev

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

If you are eligible for BTEA then yes it's a better option. Also you can get a fee grant as well as BTEA which covers the 2000 student contribution fee.

sorry to jump in but this is a question i have, if you take BTEA as a mature student you can get the reg fee(student contribution) paid for you? by who?, and also what about the course fees? do you have to then pay for them yourself?

DJW11 wrote: »
    sorry to jump in but this is a question i have, if you take BTEA as a mature student you can get the reg fee(student contribution) paid for you? by who?, and also what about the course fees? do you have to then pay for them yourself?

If you are on BTEA you can apply to either your local County Council or VEC to have the registration fee, €2250 from Sept 2012, covered. (From 2012 there is supposed to be a centralised application process for all fee and maintenance grants through City of Dublin VEC. More details on this through www.studentfinance.ie)

Free Course fees, i.e tuition fees are available for qualifications up to Hons degree level 8. If you already hold a third level qualification you will not receive free fees for the same or lower level of any third level qualification you currently hold.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

Thanks Paperclip2, much appreciated:)

Advertisement