Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil on gortex boots

Options
  • 22-01-2012 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

I was back from a hike the other day, and in the shed i let oil spill on my goretex leather boots. the oil was WD40 ( dripped onto my boots from where i was spraying it).

will it do any serious harm to the goretex and whats the best way to remove it?

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,250 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just give them a wash with some nikwax and they should be fine I would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,839 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

fguihen wrote: »
    I was back from a hike the other day, and in the shed i let oil spill on my goretex leather boots. the oil was WD40 ( dripped onto my boots from where i was spraying it).

will it do any serious harm to the goretex and whats the best way to remove it?

Yep just a good clean with a goretex style detergent should do the job. There's plenty of harsh stuff in peat bogs and muddy tracks that would do worse damage :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Gore tex will be grand as its basically Teflon, clean as much as you can off the leather and give them a good wax / treatment.
    Would it actually damage the leather? I'm just thinking crazy as it sounds since WD40 is resistant to water it may actually be a great water proofed, think I'll wait until I'm replacing my boots before trying it though don't want to damage a decent pair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

The goretex lining is inside the boot, more than likely sandwiched between the leather and the lining so unless the WD40 got in there then you should be fine.

Bear in mind WD stands for Water Displacement so running the leather under a tap probably won't wash it off. I've used Nikwax Tech Wash on smooth leather for cleaning before (as per previous posters) and it's grand. Make sure to wax them up after though.

Best of luck and don't forget to post up how you get on.

Advertisement