Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Web Design course? anyone help me?

Options
  • 22-01-2012 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

Can anyone suggest a good course for me to learn the in's and out's of web design? ... I did a brief 10 week part time course. Basically an introductory to web design. Wanna properly learn more :)

I like the FAS 18 week, full-time, web design course. But dont know much about it. (being is it good, bad etc)

Anyone know of a good course?

thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Figure I should post here instead of starting up an obscenely similar thread.
    I'm in a very similar position, I've been teaching myself web design through w3schools and sitepoint for a little while now and I've decided I'd like to actually get some form of direction so I don't pick up bad habits or gloss over/miss anything important. Comparing what I've done to a friends work suggests I wouldn't learn anything new from the FETAC evening courses, and am probably a smidge above that standard, just to give you an idea where I'm at.

I was looking at the Diploma in Advanced Web Design from CMIT, I'm sceptical of the worth of the diploma at the end of it but it claims to get you to a level where you can pass the CIW Web Foundations Associate exam, has anyone heard of this course or done it? And is that particular CIW certification indicative of any standard? Do you have any better recommendations for part-time or distance courses? I'm not currently in a position where I could study full time but I'd like to make my hobby a bit more worthwhile, or at least be confident I'm going about it correctly.

Sorry for hijacking your thread LighterGuy, but maybe if the course I've found turns out to be worth it it could be of interest to you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭tramoreman

that diploma course is basically only part time i have looked at several options myself sligo institute of technology have a full time degree course not sure if its 3 or 4year apart from that web design are part of courses for example multimedia unlike usa where they have degree specific courses and certs in web design im doing fetac level 5 web design course at the momnent which includes html and css

The more I look at it the less impressed I am, especially when I look at other courses in comparison, The Fitzwilliam Institute is also offering a "diploma" and it's streets ahead, although looking very out of budget and they're closing for applicants in 4 days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

That course seems rather pricey.

They all do tbh...

• Advertisement
Advertisement