Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Baby A Passport.

Options
  • 22-01-2012 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi !

Im sure there is already a post on this somewhere but i decided just in case id post one anyways!

Im currently living in Guernsey in the Channel Islands but have lived in Ireland all my life (obviously minus the past 18 months) and have an Irish passport. I was planning on having my baby here in May & then going home as i would have more maternity leave after baby is born. However, no im confused as to what i need for baby to travel back to Ireland also.

I was planning on travelling back2-3 weeks after she is born but how do i go about getting her an Irish passport when im not in Ireland or does she need one as liklihood is we will be going on boat. From Guernsey to England then england to Rosslare??

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated !! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

what about trying the Irish passport office in London?

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

If travelling by Ferry, you don't need a passport. I've travelled 3 times now from Dublin to Holyhead recently with my newborn and don't require a passport. Which is madness really these days!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

She might need it from Guernsey though. Guernsey isn't part of the EU or Schengen. Not sure if it's part of the free travel area between UK and Ireland though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

You would apply to the Irish embassy for the passport.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kaytee17

Thank you ! I know that everytime ive gotten the ferry from guernsey to england they never check passports as Guernsey is still part of British isles so i should be okay but im in london next week so will definately double check ! :)

Should probably worry about getting baby here first !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

We were living in Australia when our little guy was born and we got his Irish passport through the Irish embassy there. It was a little more complicated but, not very.

Good luck with it all x

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭cch

At a minimum get the birth cert before you go! My sister-in-law travelled from England to Ireland and back with her newborn without having registered the birth and I'm not sure of the exact details but she was told that could have caused a huge amount of trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Kaytee17

Thanks to everyone for their help! The people in the passport office finally gave me an answer and because im an Irish citizen as soon as we touch on british soil were cosidered 'settled' so since baby will be born on british soil she can get british passport within 2 days if i pay £30 extra :) Panic over

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Kaytee17 wrote: »
    Thanks to everyone for their help! The people in the passport office finally gave me an answer and because im an Irish citizen as soon as we touch on british soil were cosidered 'settled' so since baby will be born on british soil she can get british passport within 2 days if i pay £30 extra :) Panic over
    Are you sure

Is your partner British

Right of a British passport because of birth ended in 1982

Advertisement