Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ONE Program - What do you think about it?

• 22-01-2012 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

As title says, what do you think about the ONE program?

I'm a Venture in Greystones and have been in scouting since I was a little beaver, I never saw a problem with the system and last week we had out ONE program training, to which all leaders and ventures came.

I think the ONE program is utter rubbish...

I hate this whole S.P.I.C.E.S. thing - it's getting to educational, it's like being in school, you go to scouts for a laugh, not to get all spiritual and emotional!

Also, they now want us to buy all sorts of expensive books in unnecessary leather cases, all of which seems a waste of money.

Also, I can understand the part about giving the scouts and cubs more of a say in what they do, as a venture in the pilot scheme for the last few years we've basically run ourselves, but beavers being given a say in what they do is mad! And then trying to get them to sit down and talk about how they could improve it? All they want to do is run around and play! And they expect them to be "tribes" and call their leaders "tribal elders"? I've been helping out as a beaver leader for a while now and I really think this is too much for them to try and take in.

In summary so, the way i see what happened is:

>CBSI and SAI merge
    >"Oh look, we have alot of money now!"
    >"let's make a new program to use the money!"
    >"Oh damn, we wasted the money!
    >"Let's use this half-arsed attempt at a program and sell expensive books!"

/rant_over

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 orathaic

You will get about as much out of the Programme as you put into it.

As a venturer in a group where you've been running your own activities i'm pretty sure you already know this.

The formal programme may serve as a great guideline for groups that don't know what they've doing.

I don't know what kind of schooling you've had if it involved a lot of being emotional and spiritual... Scouting is a much more rounded experience than formal education, like school, which is far more focussed on intellectual pursuits and virtually nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 fishfortwo

The whole one program thing seems to be a bit of a non starter really. I have been a leader since Jan with a newly formed unit and we, at this moment in time are not running it. Partly due to being new but also as we have had no training regarding it.

What orathaic said is correct it will be what you put in. Having seen some of the materials on-line and at level 1-5 training it was mentioned, it does not seem to be too big a burden most of it will have been being done already with your troop to begin with.

I think it will help alot of leaders and such like provide structure to the plans they lay out and not simply run the same games and activities over and over. I can see the emotion and spirituality being glossed over and simply being a tick box exercise as I don't think the kids (or leaders) will take much away from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 jsmscork

At the end of the day, when I am planning and running a hike or a camp, I do it the same way now as I did prior to the ONE Programme.

The scouts are the same type of scouts that attended before and want the very same things.

We have new badges. That is the extent of the changes in our troop as a result of the ONE Programme.

Advertisement