Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First batch using hops - Beer is very sedimenty!

Options
  • 22-01-2012 5:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm doing a beer kit which is ready to bottle but when I took a sample it is VERY sedimenty. I've stood it for the last couple of minutes there and there's still sediment slowly trying to fall to the bottom.

I don't have the equipment to do a secondary so I'm just going to hope for the best when I'm bottling.

However, I was just wondering if I did something wrong with the hops. I was told on here just to chuck the hops sachet in - nothing special required. So I did that and tried stir it in as best as I could but looking at it now there's still a lot of it floating at the top.

Is the way I added the hops the reason for this very unclear beer?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

How long has the beer been fermenting for?

Had you just moved the fermenter before taking the sample?

I doubt it has anything to do with the hop sachet, I think it just needs time to clean itself up

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Stirring is a bad idea once fermentation is under way. The best thing to clear it is just time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭I_am_LOST

BeerNut wrote: »
    Stirring is a bad idea once fermentation is under way. The best thing to clear it is just time.

I only stirred it before pitching the yeast and straight after I added the hops cos they were looking very lumpy!
    Martyn1989 wrote: »
    How long has the beer been fermenting for?

Had you just moved the fermenter before taking the sample?

I doubt it has anything to do with the hop sachet, I think it just needs time to clean itself up

It's been nearly 4 weeks in the primary. Maybe it was moved slightly before taking a sample.

Thanks guys I just wanted to make sure I didn't do anything majorly wrong regarding the hops. :o

I'll leave it for a while to settle and then bottle and let yis know :D Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

I find when taking samples from the fermenter tap that some of yeast has settled inside the tap leading to quite sedimenty samples. The beer itself above the level of the tap was fine.

Even if it is a bit sedimenty when you bottle it, it will settle further and then when you refrigerate the beers it will settle further albeit with some chill haze perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I have a hop related query. Don't want to start a whole new thread but sorry for hi jacking this one!

When you see a recipe and for the hop additions in the boil like this:

Fuggles 60 mins
    Cascade 10 mins
    ......etc etc

Does that mean you add fuggles after 60 minutes, or you add them at the start and boil the daylights out of them for 60 minutes?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

Sky King wrote: »
    I have a hop related query. Don't want to start a whole new thread but sorry for hi jacking this one!

When you see a recipe and for the hop additions in the boil like this:

Fuggles 60 mins
    Cascade 10 mins
    ......etc etc

Does that mean you add fuggles after 60 minutes, or you add them at the start and boil the daylights out of them for 60 minutes?

Hops at 60 mins means they go in at the start and so on.

Advertisement