Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't do maths at all!

• 22-01-2012 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭

Is anyone else a fail at maths.. in pass?! :eek: I opened my papers today to practice, y'know, mocks and all in 2 weeks.. hadn't a clue what most the questions meant! I'm just not a logical thinker at all and the added project maths crap makes it all the more difficult to understand. How can I get better at maths? Or 'study' for it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Start using this website now start with the basics in each relavant section and work your way up and do the practice questions in each section, if you plan on going to college you need maths for most courses so now is the time to get ontop of it .

http://www.khanacademy.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Few questions

1. Are you paying attention in class- All the time and doing the work that is set in the time given in class?
    2. Are you doing your homework/any revision work set and attempting it properly?
    3. Have you begun a revision plan for maths?
    4. When you sat down with your papers how did you try to study?

Maths above all subjects particularly if you find it tough requires dedication to pass and it needs that application every single day, daunting as that may be.

If you answered an honest with yourself 'no' to any of the first three questions Then there's your first step. You must be answering yes to those to get through any subject at LC either OL or HL. That's the hard questions asked and only you can answer those honestly and address them if needs be.

If you answered an honest yes to those then it is question 4 that needs to be addressed first. In order to revise maths you need a plan. Rather than jumping straight into a question you might need to start with the book in each topic and then move to papers. Please note you can only study maths properly by doing the questions yourself, not reading a solution or checking your solution every step of the way!

Try taking complex numbers for example, doing questions from each exercise in your book until you are getting them correct and finally attempt a full question from the paper. Don't forget to use the actual marking scheme to grade yourself after each exam question. Don't use it to answer the question as you go but it is important to know that even though you may not have the correct answer it may only be three marks you lost for example. This will help to avoid discouragement.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭paulgalway

You may also find useful information here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

I was able to do them once, when we covered them in class and stuff, it's just I've completely forgotten everything now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Ok calm down first of all, you can do them and it will come back particularly if you did understand it first time around. You haven't actually said have you been doing any revision at all? You won't be able to jump into exam papers without having done any revision beforehand

It will take practise using your notes/books to remember how to do them?

• Advertisement
Advertisement