Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Porridge

Options
  • 22-01-2012 6:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭

Hi
    I want to start having porridge for breakfast during the week but the mornings can be busy i dont want to microwave it.
    Just wondering is it ok to slow cook it overnight or do something the night before to make it easy and quick to cook in the mornings
    thanks a mil. im bit sick of weetabix

cheers:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,524 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

cazzak79 wrote: »
    Hi
    I want to start having porridge for breakfast during the week but the mornings can be busy i dont want to microwave it.
    Just wondering is it ok to slow cook it overnight or do something the night before to make it easy and quick to cook in the mornings
    thanks a mil. im bit sick of weetabix

cheers:)
    Haven't tried it, but cooking pin-head oat porridge the night before and simply re-heating it the next day, is supposed to yield some great results. Pinhead oats take about 30 minutes to cook, but only a minute or two to reheat the following day. Here's a Ballymaloe recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Great thanks didn't hear of that kind of porridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭dazzlemoo

My boyfriend is a huge porridge fan and swears by Flahavans Quick Oats..it comes in a big red tube and there's a measuring cup included.
    You simply add a scoop of porridge oats with some water (instructions on the box) and in ten mins, you have porridge.
    (He doesn't use the traditional porridge oats that you steep overnight; he can't because he's diabetic and diabetics can't eat porridge that's been steeped overnight due to the increased starch content)

He then tops with a little jam or honey
    Porridge is a fab breakfast to have cos it releases energy slowly all day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,383 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

cazzak79 wrote: »
    Hi
    out of curiosity, why don't you want to microwave.
    dazzlemoo wrote: »
    (He doesn't use the traditional porridge oats that you steep overnight; he can't because he's diabetic and diabetics can't eat porridge that's been steeped overnight due to the increased starch content)

Increase starch content?
    Could you explain that be. I don't see how soaking increases starch content.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

If getting any porridge, get Flahavans.
    The nicest, best quality and really cheap. A massive bag that would last a month is only like €3. But you can also get the tube of it with the measure with it and all like someone previously said but I don't know why you don't want to microwave it as this is the fastest way.... As for slow cooking it, I doubt it as porridge constantly needs stirring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

Mellor wrote: »
    dazzlemoo wrote:

Increase starch content?
    Could you explain that be. I don't see how soaking increases starch content.
    I'm curious about this too. Who told him that? Sounds weird.

I know soaking oats can reduce/break down the phytic acid they contain. Phytates can interfere with the absorption of minerals, hence reducing this can be seen as beneficial.

But as for increasing the starch content - how exactly does it do that? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Seanie06

Porridge is the best in the morning. I've stopped eating toast for breakfast since I started eating it!! You stay full for ages as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Aye porridge is a great breakfast.
    Some mashed in banana or jam for some added sweetness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

Interesting article below for all porridge lovers....

After much experimentation, my 'perfect' (imho) bowl of porridge is

-Serves 4 - takes 15 minutes to cook in the morning.

1. 1 cup (75% rolled flakes + 25% pin head ) soaked overnight in 2 cups of water

2. next morning add 1 cup of milk. Bring to the boil on medium heat, stirring frequently.

3. simmer on lowest heat for 5 minutes - add a pinch of salt - stir regularly.
    4. simmer for a further 5 minutes - stir regularly until a bubbly consistency.

Add favourite toppings.
    Currently lightly heated maple syrup with blueberries.

For stirring, you have to use a 'spurtle' :D

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/nov/10/how-to-cook-perfect-porridge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I slow cook my porridge in the morning - six or seven minutes in the microwave. I pop it in the micro, leg it up and get dressed, then arrive back in the kitchen for the "PING!"!

You can leave the porridge to soak over night and it will cook quicker.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I cook porridge in less than ten minutes in the morning, definitely. Like Twee I put it on and go do other stuff, stir it once or twice then and have gorgeous warm porridge with no effort, yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Porridge cooked in the slow cooker is really nice, kind of creamy. The milder heat cooks them gently, and all you need do is stir the pot in the morning and eat. There are loads of slow cooker recipes online, but the basic is oats, sugar, milk or cream and dried fruit. You do tend to use more liuid, 3 or 4 cups of water to 1 cup of oats, but that will all be absorbed.

Oats take 10 to 15 minutes to cook in a saucepan, or around 7(ish) in a microwave and taste exactly the same either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

I have reheated porridge by throwing in a dash of milk and stirring over a high heat until the milk is absorbed but this was more because i slept in and someone else left it behind than to save time.

For quickness just pop the porridge in the microwave and mix halfway through, it tastes pretty much the same with a lot less stirring.

Do most people actually soak the Oats I have never bothered or seen anyone else plan breakfast that far in advance?

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

when you micro wave porridge - do you need a container with a lid - i normally just use an ordinary bowl

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

tv3tg4 wrote: »
    when you micro wave porridge - do you need a container with a lid - i normally just use an ordinary bowl

It can flow over so use one with high sides

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

MiskyBoyy wrote: »
    If getting any porridge, get Flahavans.
    The nicest, best quality and really cheap. A massive bag that would last a month is only like €3. But you can also get the tube of it with the measure with it and all like someone previously said but I don't know why you don't want to microwave it as this is the fastest way.... As for slow cooking it, I doubt it as porridge constantly needs stirring.

Flahavans are brilliant.

I get their quick cook oats rather than the Quick Oats in the tub. One part oats to two parts boiling water, a handful of raisins, and it's ready to eat as soon as you're out of the shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I have recently started making my porridge with unsweetened almond milk instead of regular milk - it makes delicious porridge. I started using the almond milk because I'm following weight watchers and needed to cut down my milk intake, but I don't like porridge made with water. I also cut out added sugar, by adding grapes or blueberries.

I make it in the microwave and just use a deep bowl, no lid. I place the bowl on a plate....that way I don't get burned grabbing a hot bowl....and if it does overflow, the plate catches it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I find overnight oats is a great alternative for anyone in a hurry in the morning - prep the night before and it's ideal for eating or even taking to work with you next morning.

At the moment, I'm using Kavanagh's porridge out of Aldi & love it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

you can get nice container off betterware or in tk max

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah big fan of Kavanagh's organic oats from Aldi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭Corvo

I like Kavanagh's from Aldi also.

I microwave it with some skimmed milk, pop in some sliced banana and a quick dusting of cinnamon with seeds.

Sets you up for the day really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Flavin's for me, soaked overnight in low fat milk and into the microwave in the morning.
    Mon-Fri I have honey, and maybe a little bit of strawberry.
    On the weekends as a treat a small spoon of nutella. Absolutely define.

Advertisement