Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fake licenses being converted for real ones.

Options
  • 22-01-2012 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Have heard a few people doing this, they have their own full Irish license and they actually print any category they want on the irish license and then they simply stroll into the transportation office, show them the License and voilla a new Aussie full drivers licensed is issued right then and there with no checks what so ever..

I thought they'd at least do checks on all licenses presented for conversion, seeing as the Irish license is fairly easy to alter.

Seem's fairly idiotic to me, giving the Irish a bad name is all it does!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

Seems a bit strange that it is that simple to modify the categories and get away with it. Do they not check that the printing is below the lamination?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Aussie201

I saw a guy in a hostel a while back who did it, I could only notice it if I really looked closely as he had a bit of tape on it which looked legit but was completely fake.. Ireland really need's to update the license to a card and chip of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Mate of mine handed in his Irish provisional and recieved a full aussie in the Sunshine VICROADS branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

This is a very good way to stay in Australia ...

Crimes Act 1958 - SECT 83A

Falsification of documents
    83A. Falsification of documents

(1) A person must not make a false document with the intention that he or she,
    or another person, shall use it to induce another person to accept it as
    genuine, and by reason of so accepting it to do or not to do some act to that
    other person's, or to another person's prejudice.

Penalty: Level 5 imprisonment (10 years maximum).

(2) A person must not use a document which is, and which he or she knows to
    be, false, with the intention of inducing another person to accept it as
    genuine, and by reason of so accepting it to do or not to do some act to that
    other person's, or to another person's prejudice.

Penalty: Level 5 imprisonment (10 years maximum).

The local roads office will have no issue in calling police.

Seriously why the hell would someone risk the above for a Aussie licence.

Mate of mine handed in his Irish provisional and recieved a full aussie in the Sunshine VICROADS branch.
    It was a real one though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

Know a few lads who've picked up fake licences and used them to transfer to a real Aussie one, seems to be little to no check done in the RTA. If and when you do go home you won't manage to get the Aussie one turned into a real Irish one though, seems we check a little more and actually back check against the supposed Irish licence used to get the Aussie one. Makes it fairly pointless to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Zambia wrote: »
    Seriously why the hell would someone risk the above for a Aussie licence.

You'd want to be nearly as stupid as this:
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Irish-J1-Visa-students-arrested-for-altering-passports-to-drink-legally-in-America-127998068.html?mob-ua=iPhone
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Eoghan_2 wrote: »
    Know a few lads who've picked up fake licences and used them to transfer to a real Aussie one, seems to be little to no check done in the RTA. If and when you do go home you won't manage to get the Aussie one turned into a real Irish one though, seems we check a little more and actually back check against the supposed Irish licence used to get the Aussie one. Makes it fairly pointless to do.

Actually there was, someone had a fake Irish licence scam a while back changed all the details like Name/Address for $300. A lot of people did a straight swap to NSW licence but RTA eventually caught on because the Serial number were all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,346 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Whats the cost of changing a license to an aussie one?
    Whats the benefit?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

There are legal requirements, Mellor, you have to change your licence after a set period of time depending what state you're in.

As for mocking up a licence to drive a vehicle that you haven't actually ever passed a test to drive - well, that's Darwin Award territory right there.

• Advertisement

Whats the set period.
    I know you can't change it over before a certain amount of time, but do you have to once this has passed.

I've a full licence, in oz three years, but im not driving out here. So i don't have to change, but if I decide to is there a benefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Zambia wrote: »
    It was a real one though?

Yep, real provisional

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mellor wrote: »
    Whats the set period.
    I know you can't change it over before a certain amount of time, but do you have to once this has passed.

I've a full licence, in oz three years, but im not driving out here. So i don't have to change, but if I decide to is there a benefit.

If you have PR you have to.

Also I would like to know what defines 'fake' do you mean they are putting their name on someone else's licence? Or trading a provisional

You also have to produce a passport and a proof of address to exchange an Aussie one .... I'm guessing it's more human error than some scam, as in someone at the RTA doesn't know the difference between a real Irish paper licence and a provisional one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I also have friends who have done this in Australia. Didn't believe them at first but it's true and now my suspicions have been completely erased. If I was over there I'd probably do the same to be honest... :rolleyes:

hussey wrote: »
    If you have PR you have to.

Also I would like to know what defines 'fake' do you mean they are putting their name on someone else's licence? Or trading a provisional

You also have to produce a passport and a proof of address to exchange an Aussie one .... I'm guessing it's more human error than some scam, as in someone at the RTA doesn't know the difference between a real Irish paper licence and a provisional one.
    I don't have PR, 457 at the moment.
    not sure if its worth the hassle.

The fake refered to taking a real irish full car license, and altering it so that it looks like a truck licence

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

The fake refered to taking a real irish full car license, and altering it so that it looks like a truck licence

I have also heard of people buying fake licences (as in 100% ilegally fabricated) in south east asia to have truck and/or bike licences. A mate of mine did this with regard to getting a bike licence.

Whats the benefit?

Fake Irish licence> Real Aussie full licence> Real Irish Full Licence (on return to Ireland)

Result Full Licence in 2 countries and no actually driving test.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Whats the benefit?

Fake Irish licence> Real Aussie full licence> Real Irish Full Licence (on return to Ireland)

Well obviously a fake lic has the benefit of not having to do a test. But that's not want I ask.
    I have a legit full Irish lic im wondering if there's any point in changing it over to an Aussie one.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

I'm a Aussie citizen but have a Irish licence, if i was to be stopped by the cops am going to be done for no licence or would i have the chance to change over to a WA licence?

I thought i was ok to drive around with my Irish licence? Sounds like i'm not. I'v been driving around since march last year with it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

Friend of mine returned from Australia for a few months with a full Australian licence obtained by handing in his provisional Irish licence. The office in Clondalkin took both licences and said they'll get back to him in a few days so as to run checks before issuing full Irish one. They rang him back a few days later saying he'd illegally obtained it with a provisional Irish licence and wouldnt return either licence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Because there are different rules in different states it's hard to give all-encompassing advice. However it's worth you checking up with the roads authority for your state online and seeing what you need to do with your licence because if the cops pull you over, even for a routine stop, and you have an invalid licence they can fine you.

Friend of mine returned from Australia for a few months with a full Australian licence obtained by handing in his provisional Irish licence. The office in Clondalkin took both licences and said they'll get back to him in a few days so as to run checks before issuing full Irish one. They rang him back a few days later saying he'd illegally obtained it with a provisional Irish licence and wouldnt return either licence.

Like I said earlier in the thread RTA are wise to it now and I'm sure the pass on the information to Irish Authorities. But this had been going on for months back in '06/'07.

One of guys who lived in my street did it and the RTA sent a letter saying he was under investigation to his Sydney address because they asked for a utility bill and the idiot give his real address. He was also illegal which meant that he wasn't sleeping so good after receiving that letter. In the end he couldn't hack it anymore as part of his job was driving the truck and Smity was sh*ting himself in case he got pulled. He left soon after that.

Some people are f**king muppets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 909 ✭✭✭mobius42

Like I said earlier in the thread RTA are wise to it now and I'm sure the pass on the information to Irish Authorities. But this had been going on for months back in '06/'07.

Yeah, I got an Aussie licence back in late 2011 and they took a copy of my full Irish licence and verified it with the RSA in Ireland before issuing my new one.

skipz wrote: »
    I'm a Aussie citizen but have a Irish licence, if i was to be stopped by the cops am going to be done for no licence or would i have the chance to change over to a WA licence?

I thought i was ok to drive around with my Irish licence? Sounds like i'm not. I'v been driving around since march last year with it...
    If you drive in Victoria that's unlicensed driving.

About 600-700 bucks and the car stays where you are stopped.

In WA it is to but i dont know the penalty
    http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20668.asp

Your next traffic stop could be a doozy....

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

sorry to jump in but just trying to clear up something
    i have a full irish licence got legaly done a test etc

when im in australia and i need to change my licence for a australlian licence will they take my irish licence to keep ?

or do i keep my irish licence and have a aus licence also

oh ill be on a whv hoping for 2 years

No you can drive on your Irish licence for the 2 years no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭jamiecoins

oh cool i was reading a few things about it couldnt get a solid answer does it not apply to people on a whv :)

so once i have my irish licence im grand yeah ?

has anyone got the international drivers cert from the aa ?

do i also need this or?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

jamiecoins wrote: »
    oh cool i was reading a few things about it couldnt get a solid answer does it not apply to people on a whv :)

so once i have my irish licence im grand yeah ?

has anyone got the international drivers cert from the aa ?

do i also need this or?

You do not need to get this, an Irish licence is fine.
    You do not need to swap your licence if you are on a temporary visa (WHV/457)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 missbudget

I got a WA licence in my first month here (for identification purposes mainly). The Driving Licence Bureau sent off the the Irish Embassy in Canberra for verification that I had a full Irish licence. It took about 6 weeks! Maybe they are getting stricter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

Some of the Asian sourced UK counterfeit licences are of very high quality, there are loads about and can be got at alot of Thai markets (in Thailand).

As for ours a mate of mine was making them on his PC/ scanner/ laminator when he was 16 to print date doctored ones as nightclub ID. For a modern 1st world country our licences are the standard of Somalian passports.

Advertisement