Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

work in australia

Options
  • 22-01-2012 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭

I am from Ireland and was hoping to go to Australia from June till September.
    Just wondering could anyone share there experiences of how driving tractors etc went for them.
    Just wondering is there any money to be made between flights food etc??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

trepasers wrote: »
    I am from Ireland and was hoping to go to Australia from June till September.
    Just wondering could anyone share there experiences of how driving tractors etc went for them.

I take it that your going on a WHV as you can only go 3 months holiday n you can't work on a holiday visa. Using a WHV is a waste if your only going for 4 months as you only get 1 in a life time

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭trepasers

no im hoping to go on J1 visa..I will be out of college for those three months during the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

no im hoping to go on J1 visa..I will b out of college for those three months during the summer

J1....!!!! well you are thinking of the wrong country me lad, this is the Australia & NZ thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭greenprincess

But if you are thinking of Australia and just got your visa's mixed up it might be worth it. I found the winter months a lot of farming work dried up there is a fair bit of sorghum to havest around then but its not really very constant or so I found anyway the summer months or well from sept onwards are much better

sorry I thouht J1 covered every country...what visa would be the handiest for 3 months work..anyone have any experiences on driving out there??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

sorry I thouht J1 covered every country...what visa would be the handiest for 3 months work..anyone have any experiences on driving out there??

There's a chance you could be well advised staying at home.

There's a chance you could be well advised staying at home.

Its my first time heading off...everyone has to start somewhere...I rang a lad on donedeal advertising a job and they said they would sort everything out...I just wanted to know whats the work like pay etc ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Its my first time heading off...everyone has to start somewhere...I rang a lad on donedeal advertising a job and they said they would sort everything out...I just wanted to know whats the work like pay etc ??

What are they sorting out if they haven't told you what work you will doing or how much you will be paid or what visa to apply for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

No there is not. You would earn more standing on the quietest street in the Ardoyne farting god save the queen out of the cheeks of your ass and asking for donations.

Well no there is a good chance of making money. Most farming jobs I've had I've been earning around $1000 which is about 700 euro a week (after tax). Food and accomodation included to. Which is 8400 euro over 12 weeks.

But if you are only going for three months then you'd want to have your job sorted before going because I said in my earlier post a lot of farming work drys up in the winter months remember it'll be winter down here when its summer in Ireland

• Advertisement

So realistically green how do you rate the OPs chances expenses and flights included?

well this particular lad said he was looking for 500 drivers.
    how did you find the work.Did you have to do many hours in the week then for that money.

OP why have you not jumped on this offer Because to fly you out for 3 months of work drivin have you a heavy goods licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

well this particular lad said he was looking for 500 drivers.

To be frank with you, 500 drivers sounds like a bit of a stretch if your talking about tractors, i would not be surprised if he asks for all your bank details and original copy of your birth cert.

Can you link the add on DoneDeal for us, sounds like a good story for when I'm having a laugh at the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Yeah I am with Aussie, don't be paying €500 to anyone unless you know exactly what you are getting.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056511232

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP - that just looks like a standard farm job - money will be average, but after working 12-14hr days it might seem good. "This is a great opportunity to earn good money as the hours are long and the work is consistent"

OP you need to work there for 88days or 13 working weeks to be able to get a 2nd year visa which you can use later.

Honestly, it seems a bit risky to give up a year visa based on a few lines on a website.

true enough..so you reckon it would be better to go get my full degree and maybe take a year out after college or something

Zambia wrote: »
    So realistically green how do you rate the OPs chances expenses and flights included?

Unless he was 100% sure of the work not good to be honest! Most harvesting really kicks off in Sept. I looked at the article and it, to me anyway, looks like a fishing expedition by an agency who wouldnt have guarenteed work. Just looking at the range of machines that they have it doesnt look like one farm, but I could be wrong it might be.

You probably are better off not wasting your whv on a chance!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Well no there is a good chance of making money. Most farming jobs I've had I've been earning around $1000 which is about 700 euro a week (after tax). Food and accomodation included to. Which is 8400 euro over 12 weeks.

But if you are only going for three months then you'd want to have your job sorted before going because I said in my earlier post a lot of farming work drys up in the winter months remember it'll be winter down here when its summer in Ireland

You get paid by the case or per hour when you did your farm work? I heard that if you get paid per how much you pick the money ain't great.

Any contacts in Queensland? Think we'll be doing farm work up there

• Advertisement

What the hell is anyone paying this bloke 500 Euro for ?

Its to little for flights way over the cost of the visa.

I smell a rat.

Ok after having read Mandrakes link above this is so a scam. I updated the other link.

OP fair ply it was starting to make me wonder what the sudden interest in driving Tractors had come from.

I my opinion those ads are more done than deal. However no one has come on and said they have been scammed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Zambia wrote: »
    What the hell is anyone paying this bloke 500 Euro for ?

Its to little for flights way over the cost of the visa.

I smell a rat.

The guy was looking for 500Drivers ... not 500Euro, I am assuming he's on a commission though

Thats on the other thread in work and jobs that mandrake posted. Oh this guy Will be doing this for cash upfront as well.

Advertisement