Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you prefer to win the Euromillions or the Nobel Peace Prize

• 22-01-2012 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭

Straight choice between having more money than you could ever spend or being a laureate who really made a difference.

For me it's the cash every time. With my wealth I'd throw some money to charity to give my ego a boost.

Euromillions or Peace Prize 77 votes

Euromillions
    0% 0 votes
    Peace Prize
    84% 65 votes
    Neither - my life is complete
    15% 12 votes
    Purple monkey dishwasher Steve Staunton
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Euro millions every time charity starts at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,716 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Straight choice between having more money than you could ever spend or being a laureate who really made a difference.

For me it's the cash every time. With my wealth I'd throw some money to charity to give my ego a boost.

The cash. Not many could even name who won a Nobel Peace Prize i would think. And they are forgotton about soon afterwards anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Never heard of the Noble Peace Prize, so Euromillions!

Now if it were the Nobel Peace Prize, that might be a tougher decision....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,388 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

First you get the Euromillions, then you get the Nobel Peace Prize, then you get the women.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Euromillions ill have peace enough after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

As much money as I can spend or a prize that's handed out as sweets to all kinds of the wrong people?
    The money please.

Euromillions. No contest. I'll make plenty of difference with that much cash!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭RickRoll

The Euromillions, a Nobel prize is only worth $1,000,000.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

Nobel peace prizes come easy - Even David Trimble bagged one

Tbh, don't really get the question OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

always the money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭sxt

I think the Nobel Peace Prize has lost most of its credibility, by awarding the "peace" prize to the American president last time round

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

The Nobel Peace Prize! So I can stroke my beard and smoke my pipe with the smug satisfaction that I could use it to become rich making after-dinner speeches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Nobel Prize. I like to do nice things for people, but never get money for it.
    Winning the prize would make me feel good for helping people, but I'd also get a few quid for my troubles!

sxt wrote: »
    I think the Nobel Peace Prize has lost most of its credibility, by awarding the "peace" prize to the American president last time round

Yes, credibility, that's why I chose the other option. It's the principal of the thing.

Honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Obama got a nobel peace prize while still engaged in two wars

Ill take the money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

ElleEm wrote: »
    Nobel Prize. I like to do nice things for people, but never get money for it.
    Winning the prize would make me feel good for helping people, but I'd also get a few quid for my troubles!

It would look great on the CV alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liu_Xiaobo

I'm starting to think the Republicans may be right in doubting his American roots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Euromillions, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭robman60

I'd actually go for the Nobel Peace Prize, although I agree that the award has lost a lot of credibility since Obama won it for seemingly no reason.

Think about it: If you win a prize like that it's going to be easy to make money after the initial one million is spent!

I wouldn't like to win Euromillions simply because I'd be mentioned in the same sentence as Dolores McNamara. I always hated her and her name...

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭revell

If you win the Euromillion, you do not need a cv anymore, instead, if you like, you can have as many as you want.

• Advertisement

CV?
    Fuck the CV. Winning the euromillions would mean you never need to write a cv again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

It lost its credibility a long time before that TBH.

<Godwin> IIRC a certain Herr A. Hitler was nominated for (although not actually awarded) said prize in 1938 </godwin>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

revell wrote: »
    If you win the Euromillion, you do not need a cv anymore, instead, if you like, you can have as many as you want.
    CV?
    Fuck the CV. Winning the euromillions would mean you never need to write a cv again!

http://www.reece-eu.net/gallery/var/resizes/funny/thats-the-joke.jpg?m=1272645893

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

A Nobel you get the prize money and the lecture tour is worth a good few million which is more then enough for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 doomsday

Money,money,money!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Oh please.

Would I prefer the company of Delores McNamara OR Médecins Sans Frontières, Barack Obama, John Hume, David Trimble, Nelson Mandela, Aung San Suu Kyi AND the Dalai Lama???

Move over Delores

Room in that Hummer for two?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

Ah, the money thanks. When the warlord US president won the peace prize it sort of died for me as a credible award. Become rich, buy influence and hey, you might get that prize anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

The Nobel Peace Prize is quickly becoming a sham. I mean they awarded Obama the prize even though he was actively strengthening America's presence in Afghanistan; a decision that was only contributing to unrest, not peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭RichT

Euromillions please.......

Then everyone in the world can come and live at my house.

PEACE MAN

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

The Nobel Peace Prize is quickly becoming a sham. I mean they awarded Obama the prize even though he was actively strengthening America's presence in Afghanistan; a decision that was only contributing to unrest, not peace.

The Peace prize is becoming a sham, but the Afghanistan war is becoming an abortive attempt to stabalise the region, Pakistan is rapidly becoming the most dangerous country in the world. Its unstable and it has a nuclear arsenal with long range missiles. Just imagine if the Taliban somehow seized power in that country.

I don't think Obama has a choice. Thank you George bush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Robdude

The majority of Nobel Peace Prize winners are rich. Most of the time, it takes money or a position of power (or both) to have the kind of impact needed to win the peace prize.

People like Obama and Al Gore certainly aren't hurting for cash.
    Yunus founded his own bank.
    Ahtisaari was president of Finland.
    Xiaobo was a Professor, author, critic and served as president of the Independent Chinese organization.

A lot of people win the lotto and end up broke in a few years...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Batsy

I would prefer to win the Euromillions or the National Lottery over the Nobel Peace Prize.

That way I could buy a big stately home somewhere in the countryside, buy several shotguns and go pheasant or deer shooting. Great fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

robman60 wrote: »
    I'd actually go for the Nobel Peace Prize, although I agree that the award has lost a lot of credibility since Obama won it for seemingly no reason.

Think about it: If you win a prize like that it's going to be easy to make money after the initial one million is spent!

I wouldn't like to win Euromillions simply because I'd be mentioned in the same sentence as Dolores McNamara. I always hated her and her name...

It had lost its credibility long before Obama... Sure didn't they give it to Kissenger!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Lennon said give peace a chance look where it got him,

I need a dollar, dollar, dollar is what I need, hey, hey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It had lost its credibility long before Obama... Sure didn't they give it to Kissenger!

Didn't old Henry stop Nixon from forming the Watchmen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭newbee22

The euromillions, then I could always buy myself a Nobel Peace Prize if I wanted one.

Advertisement