Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Another virus

• 22-01-2012 7:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭

My computer seems to be riddled with viruses. These warnings keep popping up on my screen about how everything is infected, basically. This thing called Smart Protection (I don't even know what that is) popped up and did a scan, but it won't let me remove the viruses without paying for it (which I'm not doing). I also can't seem to download the latest version of Anti-Malware. I don't know what to do. Loads of my files (movies, music, documents) won't open. This Smart Protection thing keeps popping up all the time telling me that I need to clear my computer. What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭Damokc

download and run http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
    IN SAFE MODE! All these type viruses will not allow you to open any .exe file so you will have to run in safe mode. press f8 I think for option on start up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Damokc wrote: »
    download and run http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button
    IN SAFE MODE! All these type viruses will not allow you to open any .exe file so you will have to run in safe mode. press f8 I think for option on start up

I pressed f8 and nothing happened. I don't know how to put it in safe mode.

It should work, press and hold f8 when the progress bar is booting up. You have to be quick when doing this

Damokc wrote: »
    It should work, press and hold f8 when the progress bar is booting up. You have to be quick when doing this

I did it, and I ran the anti-malware thing and it only seems to be getting about 4 of the viruses, even though the Smart Protection thing says I have 38 viruses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭antocann

you do know that that "smart protection is actualy as good as a virus , remove it in the control panel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

Smart Protection IS the virus. Try the removal instructions here.

antocann wrote: »
    you do know that that "smart protection is actualy as good as a virus , remove it in the control panel

No I didn't know that, I don't know anything about computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

No I didn't know that, I don't know anything about computers.
    Its a common ploy to get money out of people.

A virus will install itself on your computer and pretend to be an antivirus program. It will report lots of "viruses" on your computer and ask you to pay or subscribe to clean them off of the computer. Of course there is almost nothing to remove except the fake AV itself.

You might also come across banner ads or popup windows online that will say the same thing - ignore them all. Only trust AV software that you or someone you know installs for you.

As said above the Smart Protection is the virus. Microsoft Security Essentials is a good free thingimebob and picks up these things too.

Its a common ploy to get money out of people.

A virus will install itself on your computer and pretend to be an antivirus program. It will report lots of "viruses" on your computer and ask you to pay or subscribe to clean them off of the computer. Of course there is almost nothing to remove except the fake AV itself.

You might also come across banner ads or popup windows online that will say the same thing - ignore them all. Only trust AV software that you or someone you know installs for you.

See I received this computer off someone else, so I didn't know whether it was something they'd installed on it before they gave it to me.

• Advertisement

I've been trying to download the hosts-perm.bat download link on that website that's helping me get rid of this thing, but it's not coming up on my desktop like it said it should. I don't know how to move on from here now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

I think seening as you know nothing about computers you should bring it to a computer repair place and tells them its riddled with viruses. If they can't fix it the only option may be to clean the drive and start over but that means losing everything you have on it at the moment, pics, movies, files, everything. Then you need to get an anti-virus, internet security program yourself. I use Kaspersky and its brilliant. Granted it uses a fair bit of cpu but its stoped viruses in its tracks. Stay away from norton, that thing lets them in as I found on the wifes laptop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Gareth2011

BTW I hope you haven't used the infected PC to buy stuff online? The visus could be storing your details if its that type so check your bank statements regularly and if you see anything you didn't know about call your bank and don't use the pc to buy anything online again untill its sorted out.

Gareth2011 wrote: »
    BTW I hope you haven't used the infected PC to buy stuff online? The visus could be storing your details if its that type so check your bank statements regularly and if you see anything you didn't know about call your bank and don't use the pc to buy anything online again untill its sorted out.

I haven't bought anything online.

Advertisement