Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

price to build a house

Options
  • 22-01-2012 7:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

hi guys just wondering how much do you think of a house could be built with 150k preferably 1.5 storey ? including sewage, weather proofing, heating etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bustersdad

half a story
    ha ha ha
    seriously though do people come on this thread without reading any posts.
    im a builder in roscommon and read this forum alot and am amazed how many time this question is asked .
    it depends on many many factors ,and if you read a little you can then ask your question again.
    sorry to rant but...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 miracle2012

much thanks for your comment, in my recent time spent on this form i have found many people like you to be quite negative. this site i presumed is meant to help people. there is no need to be rude i have noticed it with alot of you "long term" users. if i spoke to people like that in my profession i wouldnt last long!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

if you cant find answer here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056137974
    then contact a qs here:
    http://www.scsi.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

I have to agree with the second poster from Roscommon. How could anyone seriously expect any sort of a price with the lack of information in the OP. I dont think he was being rude either. Hire a QS or a PM/Construction professional. They have the knowledge and the skills necessary. Do a google for something like ''Bill of Quantities'' or ''construction budget'' and you should find what you need or someone who can assist you.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

People are entitled to a wee bit of courtesy around here regardless of what their query is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭sas

much thanks for your comment, in my recent time spent on this form i have found many people like you to be quite negative. this site i presumed is meant to help people. there is no need to be rude i have noticed it with alot of you "long term" users. if i spoke to people like that in my profession i wouldnt last long!!!!!

Hi miracle2012,

While I agree in essence with the post you have taken offence to, I agree with Muffler in that it could have been worded in a more courteous manner.

As someone who has benefited hugely from the entirely free advice I've received here from the all the forum users (some of whom are actually qualified construction professionals), I would suggest your observation of them being rude as unfair. They are giving advice that any of us should be paying for, I'm sure some of them would be glad of the payment given the state of the construction industry. The mods deal with any attitude very swiftly too I can assure you.

Now, to see if I can help a little...

The issue here as has been pointed out is that we simply have nothing to go on.

What size of house were you hoping to build?

I would suggest that if you want a 1000sq ft basic design you could build and modestly decorate it fully for your budget to the latest building regs.

If you have aspirations for natural stone finishes, timber windows etc then it all starts to add up very quickly.

Do you want to go direct labour or employ a contractor?

What part of the country are you in? This will have a meaningful impact on the labour costs.

Good luck,

SAS

Something else just registered with me OP, when you asked
    "how much do you think of a house could be built "

Did you mean what size of house could be built fully in a 1.5 storey style with a budget of 150K

Pretty much everyone has interpreted it to mean
    "If I started building a house now, what parts would be complete before I run out of money". Without knowing the required sq footage this is impossible to answer as I've tried to describe above.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,132 ✭✭✭✭muffler

sas wrote: »
    Something else just registered with me OP, when you asked
    "how much do you think of a house could be built "

Did you mean what size of house could be built fully in a 1.5 storey style with a budget of 150K

Pretty much everyone has interpreted it to mean
    "If I started building a house now, what parts would be complete before I run out of money". Without knowing the required sq footage this is impossible to answer as I've tried to describe above.
    I think what the OP was asking was along the lines of...... I want to build a 1.5 storey house and have a budget of €150,000 so what sort of size should I be aiming for?

While the wording of the query may not have been the best its a perfectly reasonable question though and something I agree with. Build to what your budget allows so the OP is looking to go down this route obviously and should be applauded for taking this approach.

There are factors that will dictate the costs and have been mentioned above so those do need to be addressed.

muffler wrote: »
    I think what the OP was asking was along the lines of...... I want to build a 1.5 storey house and have a budget of €150,000 so what sort of size should I be aiming for?

While the wording of the query may not have been the best its a perfectly reasonable question though and something I agree with. Build to what your budget allows so the OP is looking to go down this route obviously and should be applauded for taking this approach.

On first reading that's not what I interpreted it as. It was only later that it registered with me that it's likely what they were asking and as you say, it's a reasonable question.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,651 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

what do you want to include in this "build" price??

everything from professional fees for planning, solicitors for conveyancing, connection fees, development contributions, site alterations, entrances, drives etc......

or simply a build cost to bring a house from foundations to roof?

typical contractors p[rices at minimum regulations at the moment are coming in at €80 per sq ft which doesnt included furnishings, fittings and decoration.

so id budget €100 per sq ft personally to get a house liveable with a standard specification with comfortable bills.

if including all the things i mentioned first.. bring that up to 115-125

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

hi guys just wondering how much do you think of a house could be built with 150k preferably 1.5 storey ? including sewage, weather proofing, heating etc?
    If you have no experience yourself in this field. I would suggest you try get a project manager and work out the best possible price.

However you would get a good start on a build for 150k.Assuming you have a site already.I would say with planning , council fees , service charges ect.You may get a single storey approx 1000 sq ft. or dormo without completing the top of the dormo within budget. If it is planned and budgeted correctly.however you would be talking an average build nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 chewey louis

with 150k you will get 1250 sq feet built and finished to a nice standard. i have just finished one with a budget exactly the same

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NeedAHouse2015

We are looking to build a house in Kildare rural area 2000sq ft standard house. looking for as much info a possible cost from drawings planning to house finished kitchen and bathroom completed any one any ideas

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

We are looking to build a house in Kildare rural area 2000sq ft standard house. looking for as much info a possible cost from drawings planning to house finished kitchen and bathroom completed any one any ideas

Here you go.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057359777

This thread is 3 years old :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Tefral

Your looking at zero change from 330k excluding site costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

cronin_j wrote: »
    Your looking at zero change from 330k excluding site costs.

+1
    €300,000 Approx to build
    €30,000 Approx in professional fees

Advertisement