Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of trees for a bog

Options
  • 22-01-2012 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭

As Above I would like to plant a corner of my land its peaty type soil.
    At the moment its gone wild with some furs growing in the dry places.
    There is no standing water so I would like to make use of it to fuel my
    stove in the coming years.
    I would like to plant a mix of trees how would ash do in the places the furs are growing I would plant some pines or forestry type tree but only to help the other trees as a wind break.
    Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

where in the country are you? is the site exposed to sea or very windy? what (roughly) is the height above sea level? how deep is the peat? is there any vegetation on the peat?

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Ash is not happy in an acid/peaty soil, I would go for lodgepole or scots pines as shelter and birch and alder as the main body of wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭benjydagg

Alder and birch for firewood in non tillage land.
    However, I planted miscanthus (elephant grass) in 2011 with the intention of supplying enough fuel to heat a large house by year 3.
    Peaty soil, not recommended for miscanthus, but I am hopeful. I am also thinning out 13 year old ash at the moment. Very satisfying..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

What is growing around you at the moment in the area. Find what is doing well locally and that would be a good idea to copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

Hi not sure how high above sea level not near the sea live west galway.
    What is growing near Oak but there is gravel near it.
    This is just dry peat so there is not a lot of water at the moment growing
    mostly rushes some grass

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Agree with Bengydagg above. Alder is doing very well for me on cutaway bog, have some planted in'04 and it is about 10cm dbh. But a bog is very variable, I think it has to do with depth of peat and height of watertable. Mix the species though in case some sort of beetle invades in the future.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

alder, birch, lodgepole pine north coastal, wouldnt be putting high hopes in scots pine though! sitka spruce if the peat isnt that deep....and a bit of rock phosphate and urea wont go astray methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MOC1972

Thanks guys for all the help will start to plant soon.

MOC1972 wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the help will start to plant soon.

dont forget a bit of drainage never goes astray!

Advertisement