Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert?

• 22-01-2012 8:26pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

OK So I'd be doing my Leaving Cert Next year. I Am Not Irish I came here 10 Years ago and started in Senior Infants as I didn't know any English. I would like to try and attend RCSI For Pharmacy courses. I just read their entry requirements and it says you need Irish. I don't do Irish So What should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

fontdor wrote: »
    OK So I'd be doing my Leaving Cert Next year. I Am Not Irish I came here 10 Years ago and started in Senior Infants as I didn't know any English. I would like to try and attend RCSI For Pharmacy courses. I just read their entry requirements and it says you need Irish. I don't do Irish So What should I do?

Usually they make allowences for this. The college sets its own rules though. Unless someone has asked the college before they can't really help. Instead of asking on boards email admissions@rcsi.ie and ask them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

fontdor wrote: »

If you started school in Ireland before the age of 10, you should not have had any exemption from Irish in the Junior Cert. (unless you have some specific learning disability) .
    Did you just not do it for Junior Cert., or did someone tell you you didn't have to?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

spurious wrote: »
    If you started school in Ireland before the age of 10, you should not have had any exemption from Irish in the Junior Cert. (unless you have some specific learning disability) .
    Did you just not do it for Junior Cert., or did someone tell you you didn't have to?

no i didn't do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bella mamma

spurious wrote: »

Lads, I just randomly came upon the answer to this when looking up the NUI website (of which the RCSI is part of) earlier today. I was following up on my previous thread re a 3rd language being needed for the LC, so was looking up the minimum matriculation requirements for entry.

It says clearly - see also the FAQ section - that if you were born outside the 26 counties you are exempt from Irish. It is irrelevant, from what I could decipher, whether you did Irish
    - in primary school
    - in the JC, and also irrelevant if you did and got an A1 in Irish at H level. Nothing mattered.

Of note, this is not the same as getting an exemption for Irish in primary school, and not the same as getting an exemption for secondary school. This is solely for matriculation purposes.

I called Merrion Square to confirm.

Surprisingly, you can get an exemption from Irish and then actually do it (!) and present it as your 2nd (i.e. 3rd per se) language for matriculation.

http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements.asp
    http://www.nui.ie/college/entry-requirements-faqs.asp

• Advertisement
Advertisement