Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sigmoidoscopy

Options
  • 22-01-2012 8:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hi all, im going for a sigmoidoscopy in a couple of weeks. :o Has anyone ever had one? Were you given a sedative? Was it painful? How did you feel after it? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭rugbug86

Hey CurlieSue,

I had one done last week.

It depends on what your consultant has prescribed as to what happens on the day. My own consultant said I was to fast the day before with plenty of fluids, and then on the morning of it I was to have a "light prep" i.e. half the dose of the laxative I had for the colonoscopy I had done. I was to report to the hospital for 2 pm and I was a little early, was "admitted" by 1.45 and then I waited outside the GI unit until I was called. I went in, was given a gown and told to take off my bottoms and underwear, they put me on a trolley and covered me in a blanket. My consultant arrived in, explained the procedure and it began. He put the camera up, there was a little bit of cramping, but nothing too bad, and then I was done! I changed back and was gone from the hospital by 2.30. I didn't have a sedative but that's down to individual consultants.

A friend of mine had a sigmoidoscopy done with no fasting, just an enema on the day, and she had a sedative.

I had a sedative for the full scope I'd had done previously and I remember very little from it. If you get a sedative you need to have someone with you to bring you home and stay with you for the night.

Regarding the pain - it's not the most pleasant experience, but I wouldn't call it sore. It was uncomfortable.
    almost like having some poo stuck in your bum
    :P

The worst part was the prep - but as I'm on massive doses of medicines to make me go, I didn't find the prep so bad.

Have a chat to your consultant or their secretary and see what their procedure is regarding sedatives/prep - that should put your mind at ease a little.

But in all honesty, it's not a bad procedure, I've had way worse!

Advertisement