Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it just me?

Options
  • 22-01-2012 8:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

I got Skyrim for Christmas, and I didn't like it at first, but I've told myself since that it'd just grow on me. Has it grown on me? No.

I just don't get the appeal of it, it's just an oversized world where most of your time playing is spent walking from place to place, fighting easy enemies until one giant comes along and smashes you into the air. The storyline seems to be moving incredibly slowly and it isn't exactly compelling either, and I've tried other people's advice on getting into it (Doing side missions, loads of exploring, become a mage etc.)

After Fallout I think that Bethesda have just decided that that type of gameplay is the winning formula (massive worlds, giant enemies (giants are basically super mutant behemoths) etc.), it worked incredibly for Fallout, but for Skyrim I think it just failed miserably in my opinion. In a game like Skyrim I would have preferred a smaller map, or at least a bit more action, a bit like Fable I (I know they're supposed to be not similar, but I don't really get how they aren't similar anyway).

I think I'll be sticking with Mass Effect and Halo for now.

AND DON'T TELL ME THAT IF YOU LIKE HALO YOU WON'T LIKE SKYRIM, BECAUSE I LOVE ALL KINDS OF GAMES!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

Yes it is just you. :P

Seriously though; forgive me if you've tried this already but:

-Walking from place to place can be solved via fast travel or carriages.
    -If the enemies are too easy, up the difficulty.

As for the massive open world thing, they've done that in Morrowind and Oblivion as well as Fallout and Skyrim and it's always worked for me.

If you've tried everything and just can't get into it, there's nothing to do really. Skyrim and it's predecessors are all about the open world, do what you want idea. Like a single player MMO. You like it or you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭GodlessM

I just think you are different breed of gamer (by the sounds of it you prefer linear games), especially if you say it worked for Fallout but not for Skyrim when Elder Scrolls were the pinacle of such gameplay and have been the staple points of open-ended RPG's since. The point of these games is to do whatever you want and play it like you are playing the role of your character; the objective isn't to finish the game it's to experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Bethesda have been making these kind of games for years before Fallout 3. They didn't just decide to start making huge open world games when they realised Fallout 3 was popular. Oblivion was the game of the year prior to Fallout coming out and The Elder Scrolls goes back as far as the mid 90s. Daggerfall came out in 1996 and it was bloody huge. I remember reading that the game in scale was twice the size of Britain.

If the enemies are too easy, up the difficulty. It does sound like the game isn't for you though. Maybe it's the setting? You seem to have liked Fallout, Halo and Mass Effect which are various different kinds of shooter games so it could be the fighting mechanics and high fantasy setting that you aren't into.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭dmcdante

To be honest i agree with you i said i would just play it and it might grow on me i finished the main story line and i have no plans on going back to as it just bores me to death and a few times put me to sleep i guess its a love it or hate it game.But its worth trying to finish the main quest cause there are parts of that world that is really great to see cause it is a beautiful game

Advertisement