Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Upload speeds

• 22-01-2012 9:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Got 20mb UPC installed for the inlaw last week. Getting very good download speeds of 20mb but the upload is non existent. On a speed test it usually times out or i get 0.05mps. Because of this there's trouble even site like gmail, it just comes up saying the ISP doesnt accept HTTP forwards.

Had UPC in my own house, only bout a mile away and it was perfect, 25mb down and 3mb up all the time. I did have the older cisco modem (the one with the aerial)... the inlaw got the new one, could this be the issue?

I'm gonna ring tomorrow and see if they can swap over the modem. I called today for some help and was pretty much told to f*ck off and call tomorrow to talk to the home install team. They told me they could run tests or switch over the modem, but they wouldnt, as it wasnt their issue...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

when I was on 25mb i always got 2.5 up but drop to 20mb and now my upload can variety from 1mb to 0.60 can't look at HD videos sometimes.I think there problem with 20mb when it comes down to uploads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Op, did you use the UPC speedtest or another site?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

25Mb UPC Connection, this is from a Wi-Fi connected laptop in the same room as the router.

OP, what's that 'new modem' you're talking about, can you give us more info please. While basic conenctivity works with the Cisco router, I can't get other things like Internet radio to work and I can't get an app on an iTouch to talk to my network-attached Sony Blu-Ray player.

1726433158.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I had to disable firewall on my upc router, it was causing a lot of problems as you describe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

Turns put it was the router. UPC had sent me the new wireless one, without the wifi antenna on the back. I had an older UPC router and got then to switch it over. Works a great now!

• Advertisement

Tonto86 wrote: »
    Turns put it was the router. UPC had sent me the new wireless one, without the wifi antenna on the back. I had an older UPC router and got then to switch it over. Works a great now!

OP, can you give us the make and model of the new router please.

Are you still on 20/25 Mb/sec? I know there is a different model for the 50/100 users but I'm on my third Cisco router and I would love to get rid of it if they have a new one on offer for 20/25 Mb/sec customers

I got my faulty router replaced too, by exactly the same model.

There is nothing wrong with the cisco router as such, it just seems to have a high breakdown rate. If it starts acting up just get it replaced.

I had very strange intermittent problems, one laptop could not connect to wifi. Router itself kept rebooting and so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

coylemj wrote: »
    OP, can you give us the make and model of the new router please.

Are you still on 20/25 Mb/sec? I know there is a different model for the 50/100 users but I'm on my third Cisco router and I would love to get rid of it if they have a new one on offer for 20/25 Mb/sec customers

Upc had sent me the Cisco 3925 modem. I had an older Cisco 2925 modem at home, never had a problem with it so I asked them to switch it over. Worked a treat and havnt had any problems yet!

Problem is I think they stopped issuing the 2925. I have heard on other threads if you ask them to force a firmware update on your 3925 it should fix the issue

srsly78 wrote: »
    There is nothing wrong with the cisco router as such, it just seems to have a high breakdown rate. If it starts acting up just get it replaced.

Really?

I'm on my third Cisco EPC2425. I have a Revo iBlik Internet radio and if I tune it to any Internet radio station, it lasts about 30 seconds before it loses the connection. I sent the radio back to the UK for a warranty repair, they tested it, said there was nothing wrong with it i.e. it passed all their tests and they sent it back to me.

I have a Sony S480 Blu-Ray player wired to the Cisco router, there is a Sony iPhone and Android app which allows you to remotely control the player if your handheld is on the same network. I've tried with Android (HTC Desire) and iOS (iPod Touch) devices but can't make a connection with the Blu-Ray player.

In fact no boardsie with a Cisco UPC Router can get this app to work, see this thread.....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056222151

Yeah disable firewall + ipflood on it, or loads of stuff won't work.

Don't use wifi N either. I read many manufacturers use different versions, causing nightmare incompatibility.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    Yeah disable firewall + ipflood on it, or loads of stuff won't work.

Don't use wifi N either. I read many manufacturers use different versions, causing nightmare incompatibility.

Thank you, I didn't spot that advice earlier. Disabled Firewall, IP Flood detection was already disabled and it now works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭forzacalcio

where do I do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Log into your router,go into firewall settings,uncheck the boxes beside ip flood detection and firewall protection and click apply.

Log into your router,go into firewall settings,uncheck the boxes beside ip flood detection and firewall protection and click apply.
    These are probably checked for a reason, Will this cause any issues for me doing this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

Just to balance things. I am on the 100mb pacakge and I get full upload speed.

Turned off firewall settings, made sure ip flood was off. Checked all 13 channels on router and still rubbish upload speed. Think Ill need to ask for a new router!

Advertisement