Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worth Repeating Leaving Cert?

• 22-01-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi there.

I'm 41 years old and am thinking of repeating the leaving certificate. I did struggle at school the first time around for a variety of reasons. Despite this I did still manage to achieve some success following that but I'm finding that it may be hindering my progress somewhat as time goes on.

I did go to college and ended up with a HND and a bunch of professional engineering and other qualifications including most recently a Commercial Pilot's Licence but I can't really leave the space blank for secondary school results when it comes to filling out forms anymore and I feel that I could really damage my future by trying to bluff that. At the same time, it just looks really bad when you failed your leaving cert, despite whatever else you may have achieved in the meantime.

All forms seem to have taken on a standard format now so there's no avoiding it really I think.

Can I take just enough subjects to add them to the others I did well in and get a pass or do I have to take the whole thing again? Keeping in mind that it's been 23 years since I did it. Is it realistically do-able in 1 year? It would probably leave me broke doing it full time but may be the only realistic option....I dunno.....Any good advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Unless you want to use your results for college entry (which you don't need to, since you're over 23) you can sit as many or as few subjects each year as you want.

I would suggest contacting your local VEC Adult Ed. officer, as there are specific adult only LC courses and I think the support from others in the same boat would be a great help.

'Older' adults tend to do very well when they go back to do the Leaving. You won't regret it. Good luck.

Advertisement