Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Can anyone point me to a list of races that are accepted for your qualifying time?

On the application form it simply says a time 'that is certifiable online'. If they are accepting Waterford HM I'd say it may be simply that - they just check the result online. Perhaps they also check that it's certified by the governing body but don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Thanks I only applied on Friday. As you mentioned results were verified in feb/march, was there an earlier date for applying for guaranteed entry than the April 23rd general closing date? If so I missed it and wasted 8euro! The race i used would be accepted. Thanks again.

If they accepted your application then hopefully you'll be fine, I don't know if there was a seperate closing date.
    I sent them a frantic email after I applied with the link to my results etc, they did reply and said it would take three weeks.
    Fingers crossed:)

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Got the PFO e-mail. So e-mailed them, go this reply:

This is an auto reply. We'll reply to your email as soon as possible.

You can check your profile on-line at https://registration.ingnycmarathon.org/Login.aspx with your username and password. Emails should be going out all day April 26th.
    But for those who put a fast qualifying time on your marathon application for guaranteed entry, it will take us about two week to verify your time and update your status from non-guarantee entry to ACCEPTED (even if verify your fast time AFTER the drawing date).

• Registered Users Posts: 17 SDARBS

Must be my lucky week, found a confirmation email in my junk mail folder... I'm in. Hadn't really expected to get, would love to do it but might have to defer...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

SDARBS wrote: »
    Must be my lucky week, found a confirmation email in my junk mail folder... I'm in. Hadn't really expected to get, would love to do it but might have to defer...

Well done. I'm considering deferring too but having to pay the entry fee (340 dollars) again in 2013 to do so is putting me off. Not sure if i'm ready for another marathon training cycle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Such an expensive race, deferring must hurt. I was praying i wouldnt get it this year on my third attempt, thank god i didnt. Be running it for sure now next year:D

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Anyone else out there got an entry or doing it through a charity....Looks like numbers are way down from previous years!

I'm in either way.

I'm running it with another friend, we got in through GFA time.
    Reminds me I need to book hotel, flights etc soon

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

Any advice from anyone that has done the marathon before on transport options. I am staying on west 57th street
    Will prob get ferry out. Just wondering how early.. I seem to have a choice from 5.30 to 7.30..
    Also have option of 5.30 bus from midtown (42nd street)...
    Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

kat2171 wrote: »
    Any advice from anyone that has done the marathon before on transport options. I am staying on west 57th street
    Will prob get ferry out. Just wondering how early.. I seem to have a choice from 5.30 to 7.30..
    Also have option of 5.30 bus from midtown (42nd street)...
    Any advice?

Suggest the ferry. From your location you have a straight subwY ride down to the ferry. Terminal and boat have bathrooms so it is a nicer ride. Prepare to hang about on Staten island for a few hours. 630 is a safe time allowing plenty of time for a relaxed trip. Good luck.

• Advertisement

I've booked the hotel and am just about to research flights.... Anyone on here booked filghts already? Aer lingus, Delta and United/Continental fly non-stop I think?

My guess is everyone got the email but in case:

Bottom line is you can no longer check a bag for the NY marathon. Anything you bring to the start will be left behind or you have to carry with you. Not really too happy about this. I like my own food/dry clothes post race.

The New Race-Day Experience

•You can bring clothing and food with you to the start area in a clear plastic bag that you'll receive at the expo. The difference this year is that you will not be able to check this bag for transport to the finish.
    •Thanks to a major new initiative with Goodwill Industries and UPS, you will be able to leave warm-up clothing at Fort Wadsworth to be donated to provide a positive benefit to the community.
    •You can communicate with friends and family, free of charge, at new NYRR "Call Home" stations at the start and the finish.
    •Shortly after you cross the finish line, you'll receive a United Airlines and Foot Locker Heatsheet and Recovery Bag presented by Hospital for Special Surgery. Then upon exiting the park, you'll receive a water-repellent, hooded, and fleece-lined Marathon Finish Line Poncho.
    •Shortly after you exit the park, you'll be able to reunite with your loved ones in our new and improved Family Reunion area.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

How can any of this be an improvement? I'm sure the poncho will be a great souvenir but it looks to me like the organisers are just being cheap!

jahaco wrote: »
    How can any of this be an improvement? I'm sure the poncho will be a great souvenir but it looks to me like the organisers are just being cheap!

In fairness, the issue of baggage collection has been a problem for years. There are simply too many people and not enough space after the finish so it could take 30 minutes to get a bag. Meanwhile they need to clear the park asap to make room for more finishers coming. It is not really that cheap solution. The are responding to complaints - even if I don't agree with the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭jahaco

Personally never found bag collection a problem (certainly no worse than London or Paris), but I suppose I can see that it might be an issue after a while particularly towards the back of the field.

i ran 3.30 in 2008 and it was not a problem. I do remember the long walk but must say that the walk probably did me good.

Disappointing considering that I wont have support crew- so, long journey back to hotel in poncho and foil coat.

The Upper West Side store Jack Rabbit is offering to hold bags for the first 1,000 to register. Drop your stuff in a bag they supply in the days before the race and they will hold it for you. Great offer (and free).

http://www.formstack.com/forms/jrab-bagwatch

Does not help you out pre race but post race this is great.

pgmcpq wrote: »
    The Upper West Side store Jack Rabbit is offering to hold bags for the first 1,000 to register. Drop your stuff in a bag they supply in the days before the race and they will hold it for you. Great offer (and free).

http://www.formstack.com/forms/jrab-bagwatch

Does not help you out pre race but post race this is great.

What a great idea!
    It won't accept my mobile number, any suggestions? I suppose I could just put my hotel number?

Marthastew wrote: »
    What a great idea!
    It won't accept my mobile number, any suggestions? I suppose I could just put my hotel number?

Hum.... yes it probably wants a US number. Try the hotel number. If anyone is struck PM me and I'll give you a US number to use (obvious 1,000 guys with my number might be a problem !!)

And now the NYRR have decided the bag check is back .....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/sports/in-reversal-new-york-city-marathon-will-transport-bags.html

The catch might be smaller bags ....

• Advertisement

And now the NYRR have decided the bag check is back .....

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/07/sports/in-reversal-new-york-city-marathon-will-transport-bags.html

The catch might be smaller bags ....

I just used my hotel telephone number to reserve at Jack Rabbits.... Spoilt for choice now:)

I just used my hotel telephone number to reserve at Jack Rabbits.... Spoilt for choice now:)

You will get a cool orange poncho and a one size fits all limited edition t shirt. :eek:

Anyone (pgmcpq?smile.png) got any good suggestions for dinner... I'm staying at the Hampton Inn Midtown, 108 west 24th street and I have friends coming from Chicago so we may need to make reservations as there'll be a group of us.

Not long to go now... I hope everybody's training is going well (or at least better than mine which is not going at all at the moment:()

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Anyone (pgmcpq?smile.png) got any good suggestions for dinner... I'm staying at the Hampton Inn Midtown, 108 west 24th street and I have friends coming from Chicago so we may need to make reservations as there'll be a group of us.

Not long to go now... I hope everybody's training is going well (or at least better than mine which is not going at all at the moment:()
    I will bow to pgmcpq's local knowledge, but just to suggest that OpenTable is a fantastic resource (combined with a site like TripAdvisor) for finding/booking a table. I read that Ryan hall has pulled-out once more, due to persistent injuries/niggles. He has not had a good run of luck. Hopefully it works out better for you Marthastew.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

He needs to fire his coach. You mentioned a few alternatives on your log?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

My favorite restaurant in Manhattan is-http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony/index.php

Went here after the race last year, not a carb loading sort of place (Latin-Asian) but if you like mexican it's a must, great NY 'vibe' as well. It's not that close to you (close to Grand Central) but worth it IMO. Damn I'm hungry just thinking about it!

+1 on Open Table, a bit like menupages here. Hope your training picks up, I read you were out of Berlin. Best of luck.

I've given up totally now. Havent deferred yet but its only a matter of time :mad: Not sure if its worth the expense of having another go next year.

You are giving me credit for organizational skills I don't really possess. We have so many good restaurants within blocks that we tend not to venture far before hunger overtakes us. Also in the interests of full disclosure - we are vegetarian !

Having said that - assuming that pre race you are looking for something good but not too adventerous - google Rafaella or Bar Baresco both good Italian's near where you are staying. There is also La Zie that I have heard is good. One of my favorite Manhattan restaurants is La Madelines a low key but very good French place in around 43rd street - a little further travel. (Go early - Time Sq is a mad house at the best of times. Pre race it is full of families driving exhausted runners into the ground as they "do" Manhattan in a weekend).

Do book - these places fill up fast.

Edit: c**p I forgot La Madelines is closed

sideswipe wrote: »
    My favorite restaurant in Manhattan is-http://www.richardsandoval.com/zengony/index.php

Went here after the race last year, not a carb loading sort of place (Latin-Asian) but if you like mexican it's a must, great NY 'vibe' as well. It's not that close to you (close to Grand Central) but worth it IMO. Damn I'm hungry just thinking about it!

+1 on Open Table, a bit like menupages here. Hope your training picks up, I read you were out of Berlin. Best of luck.

That place looks fab, it won't let me book this far in advance, TBH the only reason I am this organised is I'm using this injury time to book things that involve me back on my feet:)
    Hopefully see you in the pub in Berlin, I hope your training is going well, the countdown is on now:D
    I've given up totally now. Havent deferred yet but its only a matter of time :mad: Not sure if its worth the expense of having another go next year.

So sorry to hear that Brian:( I really hope you get back to yourself soon. How much does it cost to defer? It's a very expensive marathon, it better live up to the hype:)
    You are giving me credit for organizational skills I don't really possess. We have so many good restaurants within blocks that we tend not to venture far before hunger overtakes us. Also in the interests of full disclosure - we are vegetarian !

Having said that - assuming that pre race you are looking for something good but not too adventerous - google Rafaella or Bar Baresco both good Italian's near where you are staying. There is also La Zie that I have heard is good. One of my favorite Manhattan restaurants is La Madelines a low key but very good French place in around 43rd street - a little further travel. (Go early - Time Sq is a mad house at the best of times. Pre race it is full of families driving exhausted runners into the ground as they "do" Manhattan in a weekend).

Do book - these places fill up fast.

Edit: c**p I forgot La Madelines is closed

Pity about La Madelines, that's New York I suppose.
    One of my pals is also a vegetarian so I'll tell her I specially checked for her:) we'll definitely go with one of those Italians the night before the marathon.
    I'm glad to see your training is going well in spite of the heat and humidity you're getting this Summer

opentable is a great resource, thanks Krusty:)

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear that Brian:( I really hope you get back to yourself soon. How much does it cost to defer? It's a very expensive marathon, it better live up to the hype:)

It's full price again next year if i want to defer. $342 dollars or whatever it is. Paying it once and not doing it is one thing, but paying it twice and not doing it is just burning money. I'd want to be sure before paying that money again. London is £28 sterling and a tube ride away for me, massive difference.

The standard is sub 1'19 half from next year onwards so that is a bit of a stretch so i kind of want to hold on to my entry too and tick it off the list.

I'm sure it will be great, hope you're recovered in time to run it

Advertisement