Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Marathon 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

I'd say heads will roll for this one. Was reading earlier in the week that Wittenberg has been dividing opinion for a good while now, alienating the core of NYRR with the higher and higher entry fees, and pretty much blatant profiteering that's been going on. Shocking that this couldn't have been declared earlier in the week. The cost of doing the NYC marathon is already huge. To travel over, only for it to be cancelled is downright unforgiveable.

Just got a text from marthastew, she's at the Expo and just heard it was cancelled... V bad form leaving it this late! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I feel for anyone who made the long journey only for this to happen. The whole thing stinks of capitalism taking priority over the true spirit of running. It's expensive enough just to pay the entry fee for this marathon so it's a real bummer for those affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Or maybe they delayed on purpose to get the max number of visitors over to boost tourism after the hurricane. It is America, who knows.

I had a number for this but deferred, would have been a sickener. I really feel for MS, ellie sun and pcpqmq.

i really dont think thats in the mind of new york authorities at the minute tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

event wrote: »
    i really dont think thats in the mind of new york authorities at the minute tbh

Actually this was something that came to mind with me to. Seems very strange to leave it this close to the marathon as they publicly supported it going ahead.

The NYC Marathon usually generates north of $350 million each year so they probably looked to the long term as well as short term recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Been following it all in detail and to leave the it this late is just greed simply no other reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

Apparently comments on FB and in New York Times and other non-running forums were overwhelmingly against the marathon, while locals were keen for it to go ahead. The comments were getting more and more vitriolic and plans were being proposed re forming human chains to stop the race and throwing eggs etc.

But I'd say it all came down to politics. Once more and more mayors and senators started speaking out against it Bloomberg might have felt like he was getting on the wrong side of too many people so went back on his original decision and pulled the plug. Both he and Mary W said in press confs that it was not due to resources but due to the growing feeling of ill-will.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Larry Brent

For anyone who is in NY but didn't see the press conf, they're leaving the finish line up and are encouraging people to go and 'run with other runners'. Central Park reopening tomorrow.

Might have to go for a hard10m to vent a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

ecoli wrote: »
    Actually this was something that came to mind with me to. Seems very strange to leave it this close to the marathon as they publicly supported it going ahead.

The NYC Marathon usually generates north of $350 million each year so they probably looked to the long term as well as short term recovery

perhaps they really wanted this to go ahead and believed it would, that it would help the recovery and provide a boost the city.
    but when they looked at the logistics today they realised it just couldnt happen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

With so much else going on I would suspect that it was given the go ahead without a full appraisal of all the issues. Once the locals on Staten Island started to talk to the media then the general mood towards the event started o change. Remember that the election is only days away and both candidates but especially Obama are worried about the effects ngative publicity will have on their campaigns.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Muff Richardson

I dont think for one second it was a strategic cancellation when the majority of runners had arrived to spend their $$$.

After it was announced that it should go ahead the campaign for it to be cancelled got way out of control and grew with their facebook page of participating runners and groups against the marathon going head to head, it spiralled out of control and reason and there was even people threatening violence against the runners and trying to encourage riotting. There was a media frenzy regarding the generators in use in central park (and the icing on the cake for outrage to affected new york residents was that one of the generators for the media tent was a spare in case the other two didnt work) online petitions mounted and the campaign against it snowballed out of control as i said. It was impossible for it to go ahead so it looks like they had no option but to pull the pin at the last minute.

It shouldnt have ever gone ahead in the aftermath of the disaster but they did make the right decision to cancel it even this late on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

As digger posted earlier, my friend and I learned that they had cancelled the marathon while queuing at the expo not long after we landed in JFK.
    The decision was met with utter disbelief but everyone was calm. We were told to queue for our tshirts if we wanted (most expensive t-shirt I've ever bought;)) and encouraged to shop in the expo. I'd love to say we went on the town and drowned our sorrows but we were so exhausted we headed back to the hotel with hot chocolate:) We are naturally very disappointed but compared to what many people have gone through here we have absolutely no reason to be upset.
    My friend in Connecticut is still without power but counting her blessings as many of her neighbour's houses burnt down. Manhattan is mostly back to normal and people are going about their daily life as usual but the TV is full of reports of destruction in Staten Island and other areas, it's heartbreaking and I feel guilty that we're in a warm hotel with no worries at all.

The decision to cancel was most definitely the correct decision to make but it should have been made days ago. It's an extremely polarising issue and people are understandably very emotional. Facebook is full of anti-marathoners posts but everyone I've come in contact with today has been very friendly and sympathetic.
    On the plus side I had a great night's sleep and I'm back relaxing in the hotel after shopping all day. I'm pretty sure I'll manage a few drinks tonight:)

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭longford76

http://m.facebook.com/RunAnywayNYC2012?id=115394775286329&refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.runnersworld.com%2Fcommunity%2Fforums%2Fraces-places%2Fnew-york-city-marathon%2Fim-running-anywaywho&_rdr

You could try this... (Hope link works)

Agree marathon should have been cancelled and called way earlier in the week.

Saying that, I think I'd feel I was really missing out if I didn't try do a decent run having come all this way and spent so much $ already. Unlikely to make it back next year regardless of what they do with next year's entries etc

Also have lots of extra clothes that would be nice if they could get donated towards the recovery, this seems a good way to pass them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Marthastew wrote: »

On the plus side I had a great night's sleep and I'm back relaxing in the hotel after shopping all day. I'm pretty sure I'll manage a few drinks tonight:)
    longford76 wrote: »

Have a lash off this MarthaS.
    This could be a great day, a thoroughly unique NYC Marathon.

Complete the 26.2 tomorrow, I will make you a medal and send it to you by registered post next week.
    The challenge is set should you chose to accept it!:D

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    Have a lash off this MarthaS.
    This could be a great day, a thoroughly unique NYC Marathon.

Complete the 26.2 tomorrow, I will make you a medal and send it to you by registered post next week.
    The challenge is set should you chose to accept it!:D

Challenge accepted and completed, I'll PM you my address ER for my medal:D

Fantastic atmosphere in central park, hundreds (thousands?) of runners from all over the world and so many locals out with drinks, sweets and never-ending words of encouragement, an amazing experience. I met lots of Irish runners and highlight of the day was running the last couple of miles with a new Yorker dressed as Elf;) He even had a naughty list....
    Sandy
    Bloomberg
    NYRR
    A-rod :)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

Yea did it also. Fantastic atmosphere. 1000,s of runners turned up. Was supposed to 'start' at 9 but so many people turned up a wave went off every 10 min or so. Was hoping to break 4 hrs in d 'real' one but was 12 min over in d end... hilly enough route!
    Anyway delighted to have done the distance after coming the whole way.. Atmosphere gave us some idea of what the real thing wud have been like..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

The organising committee of the Dublin marathon have confirmed that they are putting the finishing touches to plans for a marathon in the Phoenix Park to facilitate some 500 Irish athletes who had travelled to New York for the race.

Assistant race director of the Dublin event Eugene Coppinger said it was “absolutely right” that the New York marathon was cancelled, although he suggested the announcement could have been made earlier in the week.

He confirmed that the Dublin marathon organising committee planned to hold an invitation-only marathon later this a month to accommodate more Irish runners who were due to race in New York.

“A lot of people who were planning to run in New York have collected a lot of money for charity and they might feel guilty accepting that money if they don’t complete a marathon,” Mr Coppinger added. “That is why we want to give them that opportunity.

He said there had been discussions between the Dublin and New York organisers over the weekend and it had been agreed that runners who took part in the Phoenix Park event “will race in their New York vests and will be given the New York medals”.

Link

Kurt Godel wrote: »

Heard this on the radio this morning great to see.

On a slightly more annoying note I see the Nets, Knicks and Giants games all took part over the weekend and funny enough Bloomberg was in attendance at the Knicks game.

Surely the uproar about diverted police presence and misuse of precious electricity cited for the NYCM cancellation counts to all sporting events

Hypocricy, thy name is

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

On a slightly more annoying note I see the Nets, Knicks and Giants games all took part over the weekend and funny enough Bloomberg was in attendance at the Knicks game.

Surely the uproar about diverted police presence and misuse of precious electricity cited for the NYCM cancellation counts to all sporting events

Hypocricy, thy name is

Not sure it is a fair comparison. The other events took place in a confined location that don't use resources that can be redirected elsewhere (i.e. mobile power generators, thousands of litres of water, thousands of heat blankets etc.). I think all the security etc. at it is privately sourced.

Mind you, Bloomberg probably shouldn't be there!

Peckham wrote: »
    Not sure it is a fair comparison. The other events took place in a confined location that don't use resources that can be redirected elsewhere (i.e. mobile power generators, thousands of litres of water, thousands of heat blankets etc.). I think all the security etc. at it is privately sourced.

You telling me that there ain't no food, water, backup generators, police/security used for a sports game ? The marathon is a soft target because they don't have people in filling bars across the US cheering people on etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

rom wrote: »
    You telling me that there ain't no food, water, backup generators, police/security used for a sports game ? The marathon is a soft target because they don't have people in filling bars across the US cheering people on etc.

Of course they use resources, just not on the same scale as the marathon (should have been clearer in my original post).

I just think it's unfair to say that because the marathon was cancelled, so should the other sports events. Of course everything uses some resource, just not to the scale of the marathon.

There is a point at which the extent of resource usage becomes wasteful in the current situation - the marathon is beyond that point, these other events arguably are not. Same as Broadway theatre, bars, TV shows etc.

In excess of 200,000 water bottles to be freely handed out, 40,000+ heat blankets!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

In excess of 200,000 water bottles to be freely handed out, 40,000+ heat blankets!

Looks like there are going to need those heat blankets. Quite cold over there at the moment, to add to their misery:(

As far as I know the security within the games is private but there is still a heavy police force around the grounds (much like stewards/ police at football games here). You are talking 4 major sporting events taking place over the weekend in NC with a combine average attendance of about 120,000 which places considerable pressure on public transport (or worse yet petrol resources), police resources, heating elecricity resources.

My point wasnt as much about the resource aspect though its more that these 4 events had huge attendance and not a whisper of negativity yet there is a public vilification of the New York marathon.

NYRR is the only organisation out of the NBA, MLB and NFL which has pledged a donation to the victims (most likely as a PR campaign to restore some sort of confidence within the media)

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭HTCJoeSoap

New York marathon comes to Dublin

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/new-york-marathon-comes-to-dublin-3285204.html

I'd love to know if they're going to release a course map of the route in the park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I'd imagine the lap would be very short, I heard one of the organisers yesterday say it was too late to look for any major road closures.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭potsy11

Anyone heard anything further on this run? Just back from NYC and very interested in doing it.

I'm just back in from a run where I got a chance to listen to the most recent Marathon Talk podcast (https://www.facebook.com/marathontalk?fref=ts)
    some very interesting interviews and discussions about NYC and well worth a listen on your next long run.

potsy11 wrote: »
    Anyone heard anything further on this run? Just back from NYC and very interested in doing it.

I haven't heard anything from the organisers yet but I'm assuming we'll hear early next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

potsy11 wrote: »

It's all systems go for Sunday 18th November in Phoenix Park. Race starts at 9.30am.
    This is strictly an invitation event only. Only those who were registered to run New York City Marathon are eligible. We will be able to contact most of them directly, however, we wouldn't have details yet for those who entered through the lottery system.
    Anyone who is eligible and who wishes to run should send a scanned copy of their NYC Marathon registration slip to:
    office@dublinmarathon.ie
    All finishers will receive a 2012 New York City Marathon official finishers medal.
    As soon as the course is measured, a map will be put up on Dublin Marahon facebook and website.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 kat2171

Just wondering if anyone has any info on Sundays run. I sent in my reg form the other day and got an ack. but nothing else since.
    Just wondering if many planning on running and what the standard is like... I wud b round 4.15ish
    Also what is course like... hilly?, water stops etc..
    Tks

Advertisement