Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling Coillte

Options
  • 22-01-2012 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Talk is gathering apace re the sale of state assets, Coillte being one of them.

I for one would like to see us hold onto this valuable asset. Timber prices are good internationally and is a good renewable source.

Rather than selling such a good asset to some international shadow can it not be offered to the Irish people 1st. I'm not proposing an Eirocm style shareholding but something different. Say €1,000 to €5,000 for a stake in the company, each person can only buy 1 stake. Each stake will provide you with an amount of firewood each year for 10 years, say 10% of your stake.

Everybody gets their stake back after the 10 years, the government get a huge injection of cash eg 500,000 people each paying €1,000 earns the government half a billion and each investor gets a certain supply of firewood every year.

Small details to be worked out but sounds like a win win for everyone and Ireland gets to keep one of its few resources.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

You're basically proposing a bond issue rather then privatisation with some firewood instead of interest? Couldn't see 500k people signing up for it. Couldn't see 5000 signing up for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

From what I gathered from Coveneys latest interview in the IFJ, talk was more about selling harvesting and planting rights (say for 60 years/one rotation) rather than the selling off of Coillte. Coillte seem to be currently downsizing and contracting most work out so it would seem like a natural progression for them to rent out the land.

Controversial, yes but it may just be what Irish forestry needs as Coillte could take on more of a managerial role while private companies gain contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Yi Harr wrote: »
    From what I gathered from Coveneys latest interview in the IFJ, talk was more about selling harvesting and planting rights (say for 60 years/one rotation) rather than the selling off of Coillte. Coillte seem to be currently downsizing and contracting most work out so it would seem like a natural progression for them to rent out the land.

Controversial, yes but it may just be what Irish forestry needs as Coillte could take on more of a managerial role while private companies gain contracts.

If thats the case then I would hope that some sort of body will oversee standards in regards to safeguarding water catchments, sensitive habitats etc. in areas where these "private" companies will be operating. I know Coillte doesn't have the greatest reputation in this area eitheir but at least it was somehow accountable to concerned state bodies etc.

I also assume amnenity woodlands like Donadea, Curraghchase, Avondale forest parks and various SAC and NHA woodland would be off limits to these types.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

I'm sure there would be a lot of fine print but I would say public bodies such as the EPA would be set up to ensure standards are maintained. I would say Coillte would also step into an overseer's role also. All purely speculative.

As regards the amenity side of things I reckon Coillte would tender the more commercial side of things and that the likes of Donadea etc would remain amenity. That said, if private companies got hold of amenity woods and managed to set up an infrastructure like in Britain (and like what Coillte are currently trying to set up with Coillte Outdoors) I think it can but be beneficial for the public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Was told an interesting story at work, now I can't vouch for it's accuracy but maybe someone here would know more...

Colite some years ago had a geological survey carried out concerning all their forested areas..
    Report was shown to government at the time but not published...
    Said report cannot be accessed through freedom of information as Coilte are registered as essentially a private arm of the state (not sure about that..)

Step in a consortium who are apparently currently negotiating the purchase of Coilte..
    Wouldn't it be handy if they knew what was in the report??
    I've been told that the man leading their team on the deal ... Anyone ??

Good auld Bertie.. who being the government at the time would know exactly if there was anything of interest there.. :rolleyes:

Now it was interesting chat over coffee... But has anyone heard any details..
    I see from above poster that it may only be a rotation right they are selling off which would kill the story I was told dead...

I think selling off Coilte would be an awful move... Selling a rotation of timber would be a good way to raise cash and still have an asset to rebuild again..

Still... It gave us something new to moan about politics for 15 minutes :D, even if it's total rubbish

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

bbam you could re post this over on the conspiracy page:cool:

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

bbam wrote: »
    cannot be accessed through freedom of information as Coilte are registered as essentially a private arm of the state (not sure about that..)

Step in a consortium who are apparently currently negotiating the purchase of Coilte..

Good auld Bertie..

all true...theres even a thread about this somewhere..consortium is possibly based in switzerland (cant really remember)

also i dont know why in the name of god we would sell a rotation of timber without replanting obligations attached.....it would be the biggest nightmare for the state to replant the sites

theres heaps of links available just search words "bertie forestry"

http://www.boards.ie/out?f=99&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.irishtimes.com%2Fnewspaper%2Fireland%2F2011%2F0311%2F1224291885282.html&h=30859

http://www.boards.ie/out?f=7&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forestry-fund.com%2FKey-People%2Fchairman-bertie-ahern.html&h=a6e69

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I would hope that some sort of body will oversee standards in regards to safeguarding water catchments, sensitive habitats etc. in areas where these "private" companies will be operating.

dont worry theres all sorts of bloody bodies causing hardship regarding above....private company or not, they will have to apply for a felling licence which will no doubt be granted or refused following lengthy checks on all issues and is almost guaranteed to have conditions attached even if it is granted

Advertisement