Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs manager Harry Redknapp in dock over tax evasion

Options
  • 22-01-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Harry Redknapp will face charges of tax evasion at Southwark Crown Court on Monday.

The Tottenham Hotspur manager is charged with two counts of cheating the public revenue dating from his first spell as Portsmouth manager between 2002-04. Redknapp is jointly charged with former Portsmouth owner Milan Mandaric, who will appear alongside Redknapp at the south London court in a trial expected to last two weeks.

It is alleged that the pair fraudulently concealed payments totalling £295,000 from HM Revenue and Customs by paying the money into a Monaco bank account opened by Redknapp specifically for the purpose. The payments are alleged to have been made by Mandaric in two tranches, one of £145,000 and a second of £150,000, between April 1 2002 and Nov 28 2007.

The Crown alleges that the payments were made “with intent to defraud and to the prejudice of HM Revenue and Customs as a result of or in connection with Henry James Redknapp’s employment and as a reward for services”.

The trial could have an impact on Redknapp’s prospects of succeeding Fabio Capello as England manager – he has been widely tipped as a leading contender to take over after the European Championships - as well as Tottenham’s challenge for a first league title in 51 years.

The trial is likely to keep Redknapp away from Tottenham’s training ground for around two weeks and could limit his input into three crucial league fixtures and an FA Cup tie as the club chase a place in the Champions League.

On Friday Tottenham face Watford at Vicarage Road in the fourth round of the FA Cup, a game Redknapp should be able to attend.

Spurs then play Wigan at home on Tuesday Jan 31, and then face another important league fixture at Anfield on Monday February 6, by which time the trial may have concluded. Should it spill into a third week Redknapp’s attendance at that game may be in doubt.
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/9031301/Spurs-manager-Harry-Redknapp-in-dock-over-tax-evasion.html

Should we be worried? Interesting questions:

What sentence could be handed out if found guilty on both counts...?

Would the board have to sack him if found guilty? Surely employing a tax-evader would damage the clubs image...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I hope it lasts a while, they'll not offer him the England managers job with this hanging over his head :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

He will be found guilty I'm sure of it. I'd imagine he'll get a serious fine and that'll be the last word we'll hear of the subject cause they want him for England. He'll lead us to (hopefully) 3rd in the table then ditch us for England job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Anyone interested can follow @Pearcesport tweeting from the courtroom

Slow day here:)

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

" Rosie 47"... what a name!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Harry will be found not guilty(I hope). He will say it was all the foreign blokes fault, they kick people in the the head ya know, and he did nothing wrong. The good people of the jury will see what a nice man Harry is and let him off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

I'm taking off the tinted glasses for a bit. IMO Harry is as bad as Ballotelli in my book. All the dosh he has and he trying to cheat the system for a lousy few quid. A crook !!! I'm looking forward to us getting in a world class manager next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

BERBA wrote: »
    I'm taking off the tinted glasses for a bit. IMO Harry is as bad as Ballotelli in my book. All the dosh he has and he trying to cheat the system for a lousy few quid. A crook !!! I'm looking forward to us getting in a world class manager next season.

Be careful what you wish for, if we lose Harry we are in big trouble IMO. Maybe we will get a world class manager like Juande Ramos was considered at the time.

By the way, out of interest name me a world class manager you would like?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

" I need a dollar, dollar...... dollar is all i need....!

KingdomYid wrote: »

Ancelloti was top of my shopping list but he now gone. We will get a queue a mile long of takers. But my own preference would be to give Davy Moyes a lash off it. I'd luv to see him given a crack with money to spend. We have seen what he can do with no money. He has done well for toffees in the past on a shoe string.

Wouldnt surprise me though if 'arry goes to Engurland and Capello swops over to us. I'd hate that btw if it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Jose to fall out with Madrid and come to the lane with 100m to spend :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I used to really like Jose but he's really let himself down at Madrid. I honestly wouldn't want him near the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Wendell Gee

Anyone notice Moyes praising the lord out of not only Harry but Levy as well before the re-arranged match? It sounded like a job application to me. I think he, like Harry, has done well at a club that hasn't a bob. He hasn't spent money on big players, and some of his more expensive signings weren't that successful- Bilayeditanov, Van der Meyde, Beattie. Yakubu cost 11.5m and only had one good season (and has pulled up trees at Blackburn since he moved), and Fellaini is good, but 19m? That's more than Modric.
    Jury is out on Moyes then. Harry has shown that he can set a team up to compete consistently at the highest level. We are better each year than the year before, if you count the Champions league exploits in addition to the slightly disappointing league form last year. He may well have pulled a tax dodge, but so has half of this benighted country. Stay Harry, and win the league with Spurs. We're so close now it would be truly a crime to slope off to England, a lesser challenge in many ways.

I'd love to see Martin O'Neill at a BIG club like Spurs.

Clough said of O'Neill "Anybody who can do anything in Leicester but make a jumper has got to be a genius. If he'd been English or Swedish, he'd have walked the England job."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Moyes and O'Neill aren't fit lace Arrys boots! Be a sad day for THFC if either of them landed the managers job at WHL.

yiddo59 wrote: »
    Moyes and O'Neill aren't fit lace Arrys boots! Be a sad day for THFC if either of them landed the managers job at WHL.

short memory eh? this is the same bloke who took saints and pompey down.

And in fairness, the same fella who has taken us to where we are today.

Ah come on now in fairness, you cannot argue that Harry is the best thing to happen to Spurs in a long long time. There is no reason to just assume that Moyes would do it at a big club, maybe the club would be too big for him. As for Jose as Hatch mentioned, I am torn over that one as I cant stand his antics or him as a person but he is a born winner all the same.

As far as I am concerned it will be a sad sad day when Harry leaves the lane, he is a fantastic manager who has taken us to the heights and has brought pride back into the famous Cockerel on the shirt. Harry Redknapps blue and white army!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah come on now in fairness, you cannot argue that Harry is the best thing to happen to Spurs in a long long time.

and dont forget If Benny didnt get injured harry was getting rid of Bale to Forest:eek:

I think he inherited a super squad and got lucky. In the 3 years he's been with us he's won us fcuk all. He's a circus for sky sports news. You wouldnt see Fergie , Wenger etc carrying on like that.

There is no disputing where we are today and that is down to Levy in my opinion not fcuking good ol 'arry.

Oh yeah 'arry wanted to get rid of Luka back in August because of the distraction, thank fcuk for Levy.

Thats my 'arry rant over ;)

and dont forget If Benny didnt get injured harry was getting rid of Bale to Forest:eek:

I think he inherited a super squad and got lucky. In the 3 years he's been with us he's won us fcuk all. He's a circus for sky sports news. You wouldnt see Fergie , Wenger etc carrying on like that.

There is no disputing where we are today and that is down to Levy in my opinion not fcuking good ol 'arry.

Oh yeah 'arry wanted to get rid of Luka back in August because of the distraction, thank fcuk for Levy.

Ok that is your opinion and you are entitled to it, and yes he inherited a good squad but a squad that was going to be relegated under Ramos. Shall we agree to disagree?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Your entitled to your opinion but you’re talking absolute bollocks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Yeah thats the fella! Also took us, West Ham and Portsmouth to their highest EPL finishes.

The same super squad that had 2 points out of 24 under Ramos? Give me a lucky manager anyday :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Ungrateful much?

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Your entitled to your opinion but you’re talking absolute bollocks.

No need for that, go somewhere else if that's how you want to be, you've been warned mate.

Listen I aint harrys biggest fan, I have gone on record and said so many times. I dont like different things about him and things that he has said or done while at the club, but there is no arguing that what he has done at Spurs. To say he was lucky etc etc is a bit rich.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭NWPat

Harry is a londoner and knows the history of the club and clearly has a feeling for the traditions of the club, hence the playing style. All the other so called big name managers mentioned so far would not have a clue. Just one example recently was when AVB of the chavs said that Chelsea and Spurs had similar histories and success, only in the wildest dreams of the maddest Chav could this be considered accurate. We are lucky to have harry and he has given us the best team we've had in 30 years. If we we were to lose him then my choice would be Chris Hughton, Spurs to the core and doing a great job at Birmingham with very little resources.

Reading the court reports yesterday you get the feeling HR & MM are well guilty....

So whats to stop HR getting time? Lester Piggot got three years for tax evasion on €3m in 1987, substantially more than what HR is up for but surely the same principal applies?

In Piggots case the Judge stated: "despite appeals for leniency, he could not "pass over" the scale of Piggott's VAT and income tax evasion without an invitation to others tempted to cheat"

On a positive note, Jose looks set to leave the Bernabéu this summer....
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/mourinho-feeling-heat-af ter-clash-with-top-players-2997174.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Reading the court reports yesterday you get the feeling HR & MM are well guilty....

So whats to stop HR getting time? Lester Piggot got three years for tax evasion on €3m in 1987, substantially more than what HR is up for but surely the same principal applies?

In Piggots case the Judge stated: "despite appeals for leniency, he could not "pass over" the scale of Piggott's VAT and income tax evasion without an invitation to others tempted to cheat"

On a positive note, Jose looks set to leave the Bernabéu this summer....
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/champions-league/mourinho-feeling-heat-af ter-clash-with-top-players-2997174.html

I can't imagine Jose at the Lane, though if Harry were to leave I'd welcome him with open arms. He carries a lot of baggage, but he has won stuff with every team (in fairness they've all been top teams) he's taken over.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Not looking great for Harry from what I've heard so far.
    Jose is leaving Madrid at the end of the season so much politics at that club I'm sure he will. I'd be wary of moyes and I wouldnt touch O'Niell but there are some really good managers out there that I'm sure would love a chance at spurs and hopefully the champions league.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It does look like they're really trying to get him alright. Let's hope he can still focus on our matches and that any decision doesn't impact this season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Not looking great for Harry from what I've heard so far.
    Jose is leaving Madrid at the end of the season so much politics at that club I'm sure he will. I'd be wary of moyes and I wouldnt touch O'Niell but there are some really good managers out there that I'm sure would love a chance at spurs and hopefully the champions league.

Advertisement