Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Croke park hours and lunch question

• 22-01-2012 10:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a quick question about break allowances and if you are entitled to a break if you are doin a block of 3 hours after a school?
    We get a ten min break in mornin n 20 min in afternoon. We'd be doin 8.hrs 40 in total.
    Thx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

What do you mean? Are you a teacher or student?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

Apologies, was using my phone to post and the predictive text has changed some words
    I'm a teacher and referring to croke park hours( not Crome ) ;)
    We have discussed doing a block of 3 extra hours for planning( getting someone in to do extra training) after school, as opposed to doing an hour a week for 3 weeks.
    I just really want to know should we/ or are we allowed a break in these 3 hours?
    (purely because it's a long time from 12 to almost 6 o clock without one)

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I've fixed the title for you.
    We've always had a short break (15 mins or so) before embarking on one of those late Croke park meetings. I would imagine whoever is coming in would make sure you had one too, unless they want everyone in and out to the toilet all afternoon. Make sure you get something to eat too.
    Whether it's a legal requirement, I don't know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

If you have agreed to do the 3 hours after school I don't think it's the same break requirements as if you were being told you had to do them, I don't think normal employment laws apply when you are doing the extra hours voluntarily.

If you are asked to start 15 minutes after school finishes, you count your CP hours from the time school finishes, not from the time the meeting starts, as you are still required to stay on the premises from school closing time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

If you are asked to start 15 minutes after school finishes, you count your CP hours from the time school finishes, not from the time the meeting starts, as you are still required to stay on the premises from school closing time.
    I'd be surprised if this is the case, firstly because when the Croke Park hours are done is at the discretion of the school so if the school chooses to allow a break before (or during) there's no reason it should be included and secondly because you're not required to stay on the premises (or at least I've never been in a school that you were) when you're on your break. It's just that there isn't much you can do in 15 minutes so you might as well stay anyway.

I'm sure a lot of schools cheat on their Croke Park hours but I imagine that breaks are not supposed to be counted as part of the hours (and in my experience, most teachers seem to prefer to get away as early as possible rather than take breaks, though I've never understood why).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭wingnut

I'm not a teacher who cares about counting minutes or even hours of work - but as far as I know the ASTI are asserting that the gap between school finishing and the meeting starting has to be included in Croke Park time.

Advertisement