Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

whats with the bunged up nose

Options
  • 22-01-2012 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭

Our newest edition (16 days) has had a blocked nose every night for the last 4 or 5 days, feeding and daytime is grand but between 9pm and 6am she starts getting bunged up and just sounds like shes struggling to breath, not to worried about it, been through it with our other 2 so no real suprise.

Anyway, its just started now and we were wondering if anyonw knows why it happens just at night. We are using the saline spray which is helping as much as a bag of spanners and im just short of trying to suck it out myself, classy or wha

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Very classy :D try a nasal aspirator.. it'll be easier :D It's normal with new babies.. the saline spray should work and try not to have the room too warm, sometimes if the air is too dry it can irritate little noses and they get bunged up quicker.. good luck and congratulations ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

I've done it, at 3am, in desperation! Bought a nasal aspirator the next day!

My 3 month old has started to get bunged up... we use the saline spray... do you test it before you spray it up the nose? It's just that I've noticed that if you don't spray it for a while, it stops and you have to spray it once or twice outside to get it started again...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Shes passed out now and a bit bunged up, yeah we test it, learnt from our mistakes, we are just wondering (because she is so young she sleeps most of the day) what is different between night and day where as in the daytime shes fine and at night she puts my snoring to shame, is there a way we do whatever we do during the day so she breaths that way at night. I had a google and its fairly common that it only happens at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭chirogirl

My 5mth old was the same and still gets it occasionally. The nasal congestion would only occur during the night. I use calpol saline nasal spray, boots also do their own version.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭foxinsocks

A lot of ailments get worse at night, and as far as I know it's due to the body's own natural steroid and hormone levels which fluctuate during the day. The adrenal steroids for example are lower at night, helping us wind down for sleep, but also making things like asthma worse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement