Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

timber logs

Options
  • 22-01-2012 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

What is the price of a ton of logs at the moment anyone know ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

What sort of logs? (Hardwood, softwood, freshly cut, 12 month seasoned, 3 meter lengths or 30 cm lengths???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

how long is a piece of string?

little more detail required

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Dupont

how long is a piece of string?

twice the length of half it

sorry couldnt resist il get my coat:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

1 cubic metre of dry,loose{not tightly stacked] softwood logs wieghs around .6 tonne.I think the price of this would be near E75,so that would make a tonne worth E100.There are people are selling 'one tonne' dumpy sacks for E40-E50.A lot of these bags only hold about.7 of a cubic metre,so when they are filled with dry pine logs[not sand],they probably wiegh around a .4 tonne.I would say with hardwood logs you are probably gonna pay around 25-30% more.Hope this helps.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

Have been quoted 35-45e/cubeM for 3M lengths softwood thinnings plus haulage for minimum of truck load (30-32 cubeM). This would be fresh cut, so if cut and split and stacked under cover could be seasoned enough for burning next winter. Its a bit expensive but everyone seems to have figured out that the demand is there so one pays the price. Big change from a few years ago when one could get 35cubeM delivered for 20e/cubeM.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Agri contractor

Sorry for not explaining myself properly.We are thinking of putting in a wood boiler to our house. I would chop the wood myself and would have the space to store and dry it. What would be the best type of timber to buy ? and what would it cost per ton ?

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭locky76

Sorry for not explaining myself properly.We are thinking of putting in a wood boiler to our house. I would chop the wood myself and would have the space to store and dry it. What would be the best type of timber to buy ? and what would it cost per ton ?
    Buy a truck and trailer load of spruce off coillte, you can organise it through their harvesting managers:
    http://www.coillte.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/pdfs/Log_Sales/Harvesting_Managers_3.pdf
    You'll pay ~€1,200 for 30m3 of it.
    If you cut and split it straight away and store it in an airy shed it'll be at ~20% moisture content after 15 months, perfect for a stove!
    Better still if you know someone thinning a forest you'll get it for €6 per tonne @ cutting weight and fix a deal with the haulier, €200 will get it dropped in your yard from forest being thinned within 20 miles.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Same Deal as Agri contractor,
    Looking at winter 13 and 14, have the saws and splitter axes, just need a source for 2 and 3m unprocessed wood supplier in the Meath area.
    I prefer hardwood (ash, birch, beech) for the burn times. Any idea on cost per m3 or an artic? any contacts for supply can be PMed to me.
    Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭greenfingers89

locky76 wrote: »
    Better still if you know someone thinning a forest you'll get it for €6 per tonne @ cutting weight.;)

wish i knew people willing to give timber away...cannot imagine anyone in their right mind would sell at this price, it often costs twice that to get pulp to roadside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 193 ✭✭btb

you might get it standing for 6e but by the time you pay for it to be harvested and forwarded to roadside you are up to 35e+. No one will allow you to cut the tree's down without proper insurance and then you have the problem of extracting the felled timber to a convienent location for loading.
    Best option is to contact coillte or one of the private forestry companies or a timber harvesting company and see what kind of deal you can get. Timber hauliers may also be able to source timber, if you know one.

Advertisement