Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

clothes dryer in a small barna shed?

• 22-01-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

clothes dryer in a small barna shed? Possible, or bad idea? Could run electricity out to it but shed isnt the most robust in the world, though it keeps rain out. Flooring is level but only flimsey planks, any safety issues I should consider. Advice appreciated. Should I go for condenser dryer or kind with exhaust? First time posting on DIY, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sculdugery

i have washing machine and dryer in a barna shed with problems except having to go out to it:)

Id go with exhaust one other wise you will have to empty the condenser one every time it fills up.

Im bringing mine in from the shed and putting the 2 of them under the stairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

No real issues, mine in barna for last 10 yrs. Exhaust one is best, drill a large hole in wall of shed, and let exhaust pipe out through, get the electrical work done properly, I got double plugs installed, and cable buried to avoid getting damp.

Other than that regular bait to keep mice from making a home under the dryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Bruce2008

I think you should consider the extra cost of electricity.... the basic operation of a dryer is that it takes in external air heats it up and passes it through the clothes and is then exhausted out through a vent.... if your dryer is in an outside area (i.e. a shed)then the air it takes in will be colder and damper (especially in the winter when you would use it most).... it will be harder for the heater to warm the air and therefore it will take longer for the clothes to dry costing more in electricity....

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭surfjunky

Thanks for all the feedback, we live in v small house, I do lots of sport so we're surrounded by clothes drying all over the gaff! Sounds like shed dryer is a good option for us, even though I see the point about electricity cost. Gonna go with exhaust type based on advice here. Thanks
    Bruce2008 wrote: »
    I think you should consider the extra cost of electricity.... the basic operation of a dryer is that it takes in external air heats it up and passes it through the clothes and is then exhausted out through a vent.... if your dryer is in an outside area (i.e. a shed)then the air it takes in will be colder and damper (especially in the winter when you would use it most).... it will be harder for the heater to warm the air and therefore it will take longer for the clothes to dry costing more in electricity....

Advertisement