Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC GSM sim

Options
  • 22-01-2012 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi, I've just started installing alarms ( I am licensed ). I'm installing an HKC alarm during the week with a gsm. It comes with an O2 sim but if the customer wants to go with a prepay one does he or she have to get there own pay as you go sim or can I get one from O2 or vodafone and change it into their name.

Any help would be great.

Baz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

Bazirl wrote: »
    Hi, I've just started installing alarms ( I am licensed ). I'm installing an HKC alarm during the week with a gsm. It comes with an O2 sim but if the customer wants to go with a prepay one does he or she have to get there own pay as you go sim or can I get one from O2 or vodafone and change it into their name.

Any help would be great.

Baz

Hi Baz,
    Either you or the customer can supply the sim card. Have the customer register the sim on line so they can check the credit and top it up as needs be, saves having to take the sim out of the GSM any time they need to get at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Jnealon

Any sim will do and it will work out cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Hi sorry to drop in on your post but its kinda related. Has anyone got a picture of how the sim should be inserted. I took mine out and now it doesn't seem to be texting when the alarm activates. Want to make sure I have it in right before troubleshooting. Its got loads of credit as I top up on line and also the sim works in a phone so I know thats not the problem.

Cheers

PS: For the original poster..........I have a Vodafone sim, registered it online and top-up that way. Also have a reminder on my pc to set off the alarm every 6 months to keep the sim card active.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If you removed the SIM the digi may not see it after its replaced.
    Power down the panel and digi and power up again with the SIM in place.

Thanks will give that a lash.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Your welcome. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bazirl

Thanks for the help, got a Vodafone sim today.

Got the sim card inserted in the right way now thanks. Was flashing red but after powering down everything I have it now flashing green.

But it isn't texting me at all when I set off the alarm or request things like log reports. I went into the dialler menu and went through a few things:-

- under GSM status it picks up my Vodafone IRL sim card correctly
    - it also has ++++ of signal strength.
    - I checked my balance online and there is loads of credit.
    - but when I go into the SMS menu and try to send a test text using one of our numbers that was stored already it comes back as saying "GSM Busy".
    - I tried resetting the GSM line and it reregistered with the network but still no joy.

Any ideas of things to check?

basill wrote: »
    Got the sim card inserted in the right way now thanks. Was flashing red but after powering down everything I have it now flashing green.

But it isn't texting me at all when I set off the alarm or request things like log reports. I went into the dialler menu and went through a few things:-

- under GSM status it picks up my Vodafone IRL sim card correctly
    - it also has ++++ of signal strength.
    - I checked my balance online and there is loads of credit.
    - but when I go into the SMS menu and try to send a test text using one of our numbers that was stored already it comes back as saying "GSM Busy".
    - I tried resetting the GSM line and it reregistered with the network but still no joy.

Any ideas of things to check?

Sim busy is usually a few events are in the log that have to be sent first. Have you got the GSM and DTV connected or just the GSM?

I didn't pull any cables at all between the two? Should I have done something to ensure they are talking to each other after powering down?

• Advertisement

I didn't pull any cables at all between the two? Should I have done something to ensure they are talking to each other after powering down?

If the DTV is installed in the panel, remove this, then power the system back up and try again.

The GSM unit is in a separate white box next to the panel with its antenna attached. It is connected via a cable of which 4 cores are used (A-D). The manual refers to it as a RS485 serial communications link from what I can see. At each end of this cable are these little pcb boards. I pulled the power (fuse inside the panel) and also a cable off the battery which seemed to power down the entire alarm. Then I plugged back in the pcb boards.

Unfortunately no joy. As noted above, have GSM status showing my provider etc. But when I go to send a test sms it still says GSM busy.

What I did notice though was on those little pcb's on "In" it is flashing red whereas on "Out" it is flashing green. Would this have anything to do with it not texting?

Cheers.

The GSM unit is in a separate white box next to the panel with its antenna attached. It is connected via a cable of which 4 cores are used (A-D). The manual refers to it as a RS485 serial communications link from what I can see. At each end of this cable are these little pcb boards. I pulled the power (fuse inside the panel) and also a cable off the battery which seemed to power down the entire alarm. Then I plugged back in the pcb boards.

Unfortunately no joy. As noted above, have GSM status showing my provider etc. But when I go to send a test sms it still says GSM busy.

What I did notice though was on those little pcb's on "In" it is flashing red whereas on "Out" it is flashing green. Would this have anything to do with it not texting?

Cheers.

Sounds like an issue with the sim itself then, try replacing the sim to see if that works.

The flashing lights are an indication the panel is communicating with the GSM.

Cheers for that, a new sim card sorted the problem.

Cheers for that, a new sim card sorted the problem.

Your welcome, good to hear that fixed it for you.
    Any other problems let us know.

Advertisement