Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When did you switch from formula to Cows milk??

Options
  • 22-01-2012 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

my son is nearly 17 months old and is on the sma toddlers milk for 1-3 years,

im just wondering when did you change your child from foumula to cows milk and how did you go about it.??

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

From 10/11 months, my wee man was on 3 bottles (sippy cups) a day and I just replaced one with cow's milk for a week, then replaced another and then the final one. He was solely on cow's milk by 1. However, I was probably lucky as he didn't mind the change at all and is a great eater.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭writhen

12 months. Mixed it half and half for a week. Didn't use that toddlers stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

12 months for both the older girls and it will be 12 months for the youngest too... those follow on milks are full of sugar...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

I don't think there was follow on milk when my eldest was one - he was on regular milk at one and it didn't seem to stop him growing and growing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Yeah agree with all above,all my 3 were on ordinary milk from 10/12 months, definitely by 17 months they should be gone from formula,follow on milk isn't what its made out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭somegirl2009

ok thanks :)

think i will start the change tomorrow then,

is it ok to mix the formula milk with cows milk half and half?would this not be a bit sickening?

or what way should i do it??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Don't mix it.

Just give cups of milk as well as cups of formula.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I started at 11 months. He was getting only breast milk up to then and I give him about 3oz cows milk in a sippy cup once or twice a day along with one breastfeed at bedtime. Other than that he gets water throughout the day and I make sure he's getting lots of yoghurt and cheese for calcium and protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭paulpd

Just started yesterday. He's 12 months and a great eater. Heated 5 ounces like we did for the formula milk. He took it no problem. We''ll get rid of the formula milk this week (hopefully!).

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Annabella1

12 months is the norm with a balanced diet for cows milk.3-4 bottles a day.Cows milk doesn't contain much iron so make sure iron intake is adequate in solid diet.These add on milks are expensive and not necessary in most cases

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

our 2 and a half year old is still on the follow on milk, we give her one bottle in the morning and i don't know if its luck or the milk but she has only once been sick,she once caught one of the bugs going around in her creche compared to some of the other children who are sick frequently with colds..etc, plus one bottle every morning does her no harm.

she has been having cows milk on her weetabix and cereal since 12 months old though.

she will also drink cows milk or water throughout the day, but she prefers water.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

My little guy is 13 months and for the last few weeks I've been trying to give him just cow's milk during the day and keep the toddler milk for night and mornings but I find he doesn't drink much of the cows milk.. he'll only take little guzzles here and there..

Maybe it's just a matter of getting him more used to it but I've found myself giving in lately and offering him the formula as I feel like he's not getting enough milk during the day..

He drinks plenty of water also but I feel like he should still have a good supply of milk :o

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭jingler

I was lucky with my eldest- on to cow's milk at 12mths with no problem. Will do the same with the little one in 6 months time!

xzanti wrote: »
    My little guy is 13 months and for the last few weeks I've been trying to give him just cow's milk during the day and keep the toddler milk for night and mornings but I find he doesn't drink much of the cows milk.. he'll only take little guzzles here and there..

Maybe it's just a matter of getting him more used to it but I've found myself giving in lately and offering him the formula as I feel like he's not getting enough milk during the day..

He drinks plenty of water also but I feel like he should still have a good supply of milk :o

As long as he's getting enough iron in his diet he doesn't even need the cows milk because the amount of iron in it is minimal...

With regards the not getting sick hoodwinked, both my two girls have only ever been to the doctor once each for something that was not related to their vaccinations, and that was both when they were on formula... so it is just luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

xzanti I agree with January on the cows milk. If your little one has a reasonably good diet of quality over quantity they don't need very much cows milk. I'm a bit cynical about the emphasis which is put on cows milk for humans. We don't need very much of it and the nutrients in milk can be gotten from other foods. My son has maximum 10oz cows milk a day including on his breakfast. Other than that I try to give him cheese, yoghurt, eggs, meat and fish as much as possible. Somedays he eats very little and other days he's like a hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 millie81

im probably going a bit OT here but ive just weaned my little one onto cows milk-shes 15 months. but the thing is shes still on a bottle! is that bad!? should she be getting her milk in a beaker now? funny thing is she drinks water during the day from the beaker but refuses to take her morning and evening milk from it!

She should be off her bottle, but my two year old and three year old still get bottles going to bed, so I can't talk... it's always been the routine, and they refuse to drink it from beakers (although all their other drinks come from cups/beakers).

Advertisement