Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance for second (summer) car ?

Options
  • 23-01-2012 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭

Hi all,

I have a quick question with regard to taking out an insurance policy on a BMW Z4 that I intend on driving on the road for 3-4months of the year(summer months).

I would like to park the car in my driveway for the rest of the year, and still know that it is insured incase anything were to happen.. This car would not be my daily driver, and so my NCB will be transferred to my new vehicle.

Can anyone recommend any companies or policies that might suit what I am looking to do ? I don't mind having a mileage limit as it the car won't be driven very far per year.

I am looking for something similar to Classic car insurance, but something that would cover the Z4 which is under 7 years old.

Any help/advice is much appreciated!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Do you already have the car?
    If not, just buy something that'd fall under classic insurance.
    If you do, just tax is during the time you want to use it and call around insurers and ask if they can give short term deals.

My sister's BF was insured on my mams car for 3 days last winter, I'm sure they could work something out.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭sham09

Thanks for the reply Cian.

Yes I already have it. I am buying up a more sensible car for my daily driver, and thus this is why I will only use the Z4 in the summer months.

Yes I agree about the tax, I intend on taxing it for one quarter of the year. But I'd like to have some sort of insurance on it all year round, just incase something happened it like it being stolen while parked in my drive ? I don't plan on driving it for the other 3/4's of the year, I just like the peace of mind of having it covered ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Take the battery out of it - by which I mean disable the car or find a safe place to store it when it's uninsured.
    As for the insurance just do a transfer when you want to drive it.
    Or alternatively have a chat with an insurance company about it - they must know you can't drive two cars at the same time. They should be able to do a deal with you!
    Living in Switzerland if I buy another car I've already taxed and insured my first car so all I've to do is switch the plates (only have one set of plates allowed) far better system but sure why in gods name would good old Ireland operate a system like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Just insure the car. When you are laying it up suspend cover. This covers you for fire and theft only. You'd get a portion of your premium back pro rata.

Advertisement