Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maths or Computer Science

• 23-01-2012 12:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi, hope this is an ok thread to post this in.

So I have a bit of a dilemma (well not really a dilemma, I'm just worried I'm not making the best choice), I want to do maths in college (in 6th year now), more specifically, I want to do the maths course in Trinity(not as a TSM). But ultimately I think I'm going to go into programming/software engineering. I really can't see myself going into finance in anyway (do NOT like the idea of being an actuary). I really enjoy maths and it comes pretty easily to me and it's something I want to be involved in whatever career I end up doing. I feel like I could get a mathematics degree (a pretty respectable one eh? :) ) and then go into computers, but not the other way. I know there's quite a bit maths in the computer science courses but still, it's not the same.

So am I just pissing away money doing a maths degree when ultimately I think I'll end up in computers or is it worthwhile? That being said, I also love physics and chemistry, just science in general, though I don't know if I could ever make it as a research scientist. And the maths course in Trinity has some physics in it.

Anyway, maths or computer science? Not asking anyone to choose my course, just to offer some pros and cons... different view points.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Hi Danny93!

I think the observation "I feel like I could get a mathematics degree and then go into computers, but not the other way" is generally correct. It's not impossible to do a CS degree and then go into maths, but it would not be an easy route I think. The general rule is that it's easier to go from abstract subjects (like pure maths) to more concrete ones (like CS) than the other way around.

If you do a mathematics degree you'll most likely be exposed to computer programming anyway (though less in TCD than in UCC I believe). Maths and programming are very linked - in fact, before I saw this I was writing a computer program to calculate the orbits of planets using Newton's laws and mathematical numerical techniques! Maths in general is excellent for developing quantitative skills - and employers know this. I don't think doing a maths degree will be a barrier to a CS career. Worst case scenario, you could do a 1 year CS masters afterwards if you still wanted to do CS stuff.

The most important thing - the thing that brings down loads of LC students - is that you should do what you like. Your career is 4 years away. There's actually no point sacrificing 4 years of your young life for a type of career that you could end up hating anyway. If you get a good maths degree it generally means you've good thinking skills, and it will open doors in CS, finance and other fields. There's no risk that you'll waste 4 years in Trinity just having fun studying maths - a maths degree will always stand to you, I think. So my advice: if you prefer maths, go with maths. If you prefer CS, go with CS.

When I was your age I decided to prioritize some hypothetical career and instead of doing maths I started an engineering course in a local IT. I hated it, and dropped out after 6 weeks. After that I decided that, for at least a few years, I'd do what I enjoy doing, and so started studying maths. The first decision was one of the worst I've ever made; the second, one of the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Hi Danny I'm currently a Theoretical Physics student in TCD so hopefully I can help a bit. At the moment in Trinity you do Mathematical Computation in first year, it's essentially programming with C in first semester and C++ in second (TP's do the C++, maths have the option of both), although the C++ lecturer is leaving this year but I'm sure they'd keep the course on. The point of the first year courses are as an introduction to programming using general purpose languages and to give you the ability to learn other languages of your own accord. Second year doesn't have any courses which relate as directly to computer science as the 1st year computation.

3rd and 4th year are where you aren't really constrained, there's much more choice and no compulsory modules (provided you have the prerequisites). There are modules on which seem to directly relate to computers, and also maths have the option of taking some Comp. Sci. modules, from which there are five to choose.

On the topic of physics, in first semester you take all modules, which includes mechanics. After christmas then you drop one of mechanics, computation or stats, and then there are choices of advanced mechanics, quantum mechanics, statistical physics, standard model etc. as the years go on. I'm not sure how you'd like to assign your credits but the trinity maths degree can be quite diverse, and it is possible to keep up physics related modules alongside the pure maths and computer related stuff. It's worth noting that computers can become a big part of many subjects in later years, such as simulation and computation in physics and chemistry.

Anyway, I agree with your observation that it's easier to go from maths to comp. sci. than the other way. One thing about a maths degree is that some modules are chosen to teach a skill associated with it, and not just what the module is obviously about, so it can be very easy to apply a general maths degree, especially with the computer choices within it. Last week our C++ lecturer was telling us that he never really did programming in college, he did a pure maths degree and ended up as a particle physicist, but eventually he got back into it and his research is now in mathematical neuroscience.

Good luck with your choice, and unfortunately I can't tell you anything about computer science but hopefully you'll be able to find all the info you need.

Here are all of the maths modules that are being taught this year, http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/modules/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Danny93 wrote: »
    Anyway, maths or computer science?
    In short I would say Maths.

I was in a similar situation to you in my 6th year 2 years ago. My dilemma was trying to decide between Maths and Engineering.
    I really enjoy maths and it comes pretty easily to me and it's something I want to be involved in whatever career I end up doing.
    That being said, I also love physics and chemistry, just science in general, though I don't know if I could ever make it as a research scientist.
    I felt/feel the exact same way about Maths and Physics as you, Chemistry a little less. The research field appeals to me and I wouldn't mind researching for a few years but not for my entire career.

In the end I went with Engineering but I didn't stick with the Engineering discipline I originally picked I switched from Mechatronic to Electronic because Electronic was described as being more suited to those who love Maths and who Maths comes really easily to, I love my current course but I do feel it is lacking in Maths and sometimes I wish I had done a Maths degree.

I personally think from my experience and the similarities I had with your situation you should choose the Maths Degree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Danny93

@Kavrocks
    @ride-the-spiral
    @Eliot Rosewater

Thanks a mil lads! I'm pretty certain on maths now, especially since I can do some physics modules as well as computer modules. There's so many fecking choices, I want to do ALL of them, I might just stay in college for the rest of my life! :D Though I think stats will definitely be a module I will avoid like the plague!

Also, ride-the-spiral, being TP student, you must know quite a few of the Maths lads(or girl), do many work part-time jobs while they're doing that degree? It seems inevitable that I'll be working and living near Trinity (I'd rather not rely on my parents), so how do those guys fare? Ohhhhh and schols?! I've asked someone doing the course already about them, I really want to do them in my second year (sure why not), what's your experience with those exams or those doing it?

Cheers again!:pac:

Edit: It says in the TSM mathematics that whatever subject you do it with, you get a degree in both subjects i.e Maths and Economics. None of those choices interest me, but does a joint-honours maths degree carry the same weight as a pure maths degree?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭TheBody

Have you considered doing a double honour degree in both maths AND computer science? I know you said you wanted to go to Trinity (of which I know very little about) but in NUI Maynooth you can do both subjects to degree level. That way you could have the best of both worlds!! Perhaps they offer similar in Trinity if your heart is set on going there??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Ohhhhh and schols?! I've asked someone doing the course already about them, I really want to do them in my second year (sure why not), what's your experience with those exams or those doing it?

Looking from the outside in, it seems mathematicians do very well in the schols. The graduating class of last summer had about 4 scholars if I recall correctly (I was at the graduation ceremony). It's not really surprising given the nature of mathematics. There's generally always a right answer, allowing you to clean up marks, which cannot be said of subjects like history.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

@Kavrocks
    @ride-the-spiral
    @Eliot Rosewater

Thanks a mil lads! I'm pretty certain on maths now, especially since I can do some physics modules as well as computer modules. There's so many fecking choices, I want to do ALL of them, I might just stay in college for the rest of my life! :D Though I think stats will definitely be a module I will avoid like the plague!

Also, ride-the-spiral, being TP student, you must know quite a few of the Maths lads(or girl), do many work part-time jobs while they're doing that degree? It seems inevitable that I'll be working and living near Trinity (I'd rather not rely on my parents), so how do those guys fare? Ohhhhh and schols?! I've asked someone doing the course already about them, I really want to do them in my second year (sure why not), what's your experience with those exams or those doing it?

Cheers again!:pac:

Edit: It says in the TSM mathematics that whatever subject you do it with, you get a degree in both subjects i.e Maths and Economics. None of those choices interest me, but does a joint-honours maths degree carry the same weight as a pure maths degree?

I know a few people do have part-time jobs, and they seem to get on fine. I haven't had any discussions about how they cope but I've never heard them complain that they can't get (college)work done because of work or anything. However I only know other first year students really but I imagine it'd get harder to juggle them as the degree picks up in difficulty.

Ah schols, it's worth keeping in mind that almost all of the material on the schols. exam is covered in second year first semester so for many people there's not much point studying for them in first year, not having done even the prerequisites for most of the relevant modules. I know a good few people including myself are planning on sitting them next year, but I haven't really talked to many people who have sat them or gotten the honour. I know last year 2 TP's got it, although one was in 3rd year.

And on joint honours I'm fairly sure in TCD that you can't just take any joint honours, it has to be an existing degree (such as computer science and business.)

Advertisement