Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation help needed for Wellington

Options
  • 23-01-2012 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Myself and my g/f are travelling through the north island atm and will be arriving in Wellington in a week or so. We plan to stay and work for roughly 3 months and were wondering if anyone could point us in the right direction for accommodation?

We're preferably looking to rent a double room (cheap enough) no more than a half an hour drive or bus journey to the main centre. We have our own space wagon/house ha (which we've been using to stay in DOC sites along the way)so we'd need free parking too. We don't want to spend too much time in a hostel as they're quite pricey.

We're checking online now for places but just thought that someone here may know a good site etc that we could get in contact with or previous experience.

Cheers in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

I'm guessing you've been looking through Trademe and Gumtree? You could get somewhere for as low as $80 a week in the far suburbs but usually expect $150+ a week for something decent within 30mins of the CBD. Some dead cheap places in Porriua, Lower Hutt, NaeNae etc but they can be a bit dodgy. Get stuck into Trademe there's nearly 800 rooms for rent in Wellington up there right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers for the reply. We've sent loads of emails out on Gumtree. The majority of the places for rent seem to be in family homes. We wouldn't mind a hostel feel but with our own room but I'm guessing they're pretty expensive judging by normal hostel costs?

Do you know of any other sites off hand to help us in our search?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,940 ✭✭✭pclancy

Just look under "flatmates wanted" on Trademe, not under houses for rent. There's always people wanting flatmates even on short term leases. Shame cos a room just got taken in my 6 bed house that was $150 a week and would have suited your needs nicely.

What's your budget?

You could also try some property management companies directly? Lambton property manage my place, i'm sure there are a good few others out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭shuffles03

Cheers, our budget is $150 a week incl extras. I'll check that out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Ive (me and the gf) been looking around the CBD for a couple of weeks now, hasnt been easy. A lot of places, understandably, dont want couples. Those places whose tenants arent fussy are often dumps and those few places which are decent have tons of applicants. Coming up to student season now too, I think well have to start looking outside the CBD.

Weve been aiming to spend $200-300 per week excl extras. 150 seems crazy low.

• Advertisement
Advertisement