Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

16 year old girl youngest solo circumnavigator.

• 23-01-2012 9:19am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.pbo.co.uk/news/530640/at-16-laura-dekker-sails-round-the-world

What do you guy's/girls think of this I know it's an amazing feat for someone to do and she was born on a boat :) but is it too young. My mother still worries about me when I go out on the water and I'm a long way past 16 :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,628 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My mother's the same!

Have to say I don't get the whole solo sailing thing - sailing for me is all about the fun and the teamwork, I have no interest in crossing Dublin Bay alone, never mind a circumnavigation!

You'd have to wonder (or I do anyway, but maybe I'm just cynical) how much pushy parents had to do with this - didn't they fight the state in court to let her do it?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I really enjoy singlehanded sailing and would love to put in some serious miles doing it.

But the youngest person record is BS. What does it prove? She got massive media attention and sponsorship. I think it lacks any sense of Corinthian spirit which an amateur endeavour like this is.

Advertisement